Bath Or Bristol

I have a promotion from a T/A that includes Transatlantic from Fll to Southampton next April. It includes 3 nights in Bristol a visit to Bath and two nights in London. We were already planning on coming over and staying in Bath for about three or four nights then transferring down to Southampton to return to NYC on the QM2. So my question is, Three nights in Bath or three nights in Bristol?

Bath is well worth a couple of days.

I don't know Bristol well, it's quite a large city founded on the River Avon where ocean-going sailing ships used to port. It has a decent section of riverfront &  a good shopping centre. Brunel's SS Great Britain is worth a visit, it's a little way from the city centre (bus or taxi, or walk depending on the location of your hotel). On the city outskirts Brunel's Clifton suspension bridge by bus or taxi (yes, I.K.Brunel was a very busy little guy :classic_wink:). 

Bristol is probably worth no more than a day, and dare I say not worth visiting if you lodge in Bath.

Accommodation in Bristol is a great deal cheaper than in Bath, but you'll want to spend a couple of days in Bath.

Bristol Temple Meads station to Bath Spa station is only 20 minutes by train, return fare only £9.10 or less, 4 to 5 direct trains per hour.

Check distance from the hotel to Temple Meads station,

Bath Spa station is right in the centre of this small city.

So Bath would be the better base, but Bristol will probably be easier on your pockets.

JB :classic_smile:

16 hours ago, John Bull said:

Bath is well worth a couple of days.

I don't know Bristol well, it's quite a large city founded on the River Avon where ocean-going sailing ships used to port. It has a decent section of riverfront &  a good shopping centre. Brunel's SS Great Britain is worth a visit, it's a little way from the city centre (bus or taxi, or walk depending on the location of your hotel). On the city outskirts Brunel's Clifton suspension bridge by bus or taxi (yes, I.K.Brunel was a very busy little guy :classic_wink:). 

Bristol is probably worth no more than a day, and dare I say not worth visiting if you lodge in Bath.

Accommodation in Bristol is a great deal cheaper than in Bath, but you'll want to spend a couple of days in Bath.

Bristol Temple Meads station to Bath Spa station is only 20 minutes by train, return fare only £9.10 or less, 4 to 5 direct trains per hour.

Check distance from the hotel to Temple Meads station,

Bath Spa station is right in the centre of this small city.

So Bath would be the better base, but Bristol will probably be easier on your pockets.

JB :classic_smile:

Thanks! I will stick with my original travel plans.

16 hours ago, John Bull said:

Brunel's SS Great Britain is worth a visit, it's a little way from the city centre (bus or taxi, or walk depending on the location of your hotel).

there is a ferry service to/from SS GB from Temple Meads station or the city centre.  It's a nice trip down the Avon.  We spent nearly half a day at SS GB, but that includes coffee time and lunch time sustenance!  Very interesting visit and good photo ops.

Edited by VMax1700

It really depends on what your interests are.  Bath is incredibly pretty and lovely to walk around but Bristol possibly has more to do.  Bath is a very small City so easy to walk around and see a lot of in one day.  Bristol is bigger and the attractions are further apart.  I would suggest that you do an on-line search for both "Bath Tourist Information" and "Bristol Tourist Information"  - or "Visit Bath" & Visit Bristol" so that you can see what is in each city.  Depending on what you want to do, it may be better to stay in Bristol and spend a day in Bath by rail.

I think staying in Bath would be more fun. It’s very walkable, with loads to see and do, and there are good transport links, train, local buses and longer distance coaches from right in the city centre.

Bristol is more of a working city, with some rather seedy areas, and the sights are more spread out. Although the bus and coach station is in the city centre, Bristol Temple Meads rail station is a long walk, or a bus or taxi ride from the centre.

Both cities have excellent theatres, worth checking what’s on while you are there.

If there are specific places of interest you want to visit in Bristol, you could plan a day trip from Bath. You can get a direct train from Bath to Salisbury and take a dedicated bus tour from outside the station to Stonehenge, then look around Salisbury Cathedral.

I lived just outside Bath for many years, and never tired of it, despite the crowds of tourists. Don’t miss the free guided tours every day from outside the Pump Rooms.

I worked in Bristol for decades, but didn’t really enjoy visiting the city for leisure.

• 4 weeks later...