Hurricane season in the Caribbean

lenquixote66

47 minutes ago, mafig said:

A good price is better than a bad price - but is a good price sufficient reason to buy a bad product? 

47 minutes ago, mafig said:

Except for prices.😊

My DW is terrified at the thought of cruising during hurricane season but we go any way and once on board she is fine.  The challenge as mentioned earlier is hoping the embarkation port is open and planes can fly into nearby port.  We had a close call when going out of Galveston and flying into Houston.  The stars lined up at the last moment and we were able to get in and out without any issues.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:00 PM, lenquixote66 said:

We also are doing a December Caribbean cruise.We were thinking of a New England-Canada cruise but we want one that stops in Quebec City leaving from NY or NJ and could not find one.

We have done a New England/Canada cruise with an overnight in Quebec City  twice on Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne.  Their last cruise of the season is in October.  It is a wonderful cruise which we did enjoy. Email me if you have any questions.

Evie

On 8/25/2019 at 3:31 PM, JTBCruiser said:

My DW is terrified at the thought of cruising during hurricane season but we go any way and once on board she is fine.  The challenge as mentioned earlier is hoping the embarkation port is open and planes can fly into nearby port.  We had a close call when going out of Galveston and flying into Houston.  The stars lined up at the last moment and we were able to get in and out without any issues.

One of my wife’s coworkers did cruise out of Galveston a few years ago when hurricane hit , ship would up docking in Florida to avoid storm, problem was her car parked in a near by lot was destroyed. 

On 8/21/2019 at 9:42 PM, Corby114 said:

Hurricane season is June 1st to November 1st. The highest surge of possible hurricanes during that time is usually the middle of September. I have been on numerous cruises during October that included being between a hurricane and tropical storm during a Western Caribbean cruise. It’s the luck of the draw. In reference to that sailing we made all of our scheduled ports except the ports were reversed. A captain will never take a chance to cause harm to his ship, his passengers, and his crew. Enjoy your October cruise.

Just an FYI, hurricane season runs through November 30th, not November 1st.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJ Gal said:

We have done a New England/Canada cruise with an overnight in Quebec City  twice on Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne.  Their last cruise of the season is in October.  It is a wonderful cruise which we did enjoy. Email me if you have any questions.

Evie

Hi Evie,nice to see you on here.

Lenny

On 8/23/2019 at 8:21 PM, lenquixote66 said:

We were never in a hurricane but we hit a bad storm in the Carolinas once.

We have always cruised in the summer, generally in August, because DW is a teacher. On our first Caribbean cruise (2003 I think), we had a hurricane. We did all our ports, but then were not able to get back to Fort Lauderdale for 2 days. The two free extra days of cruising were fine, but the airport at Fort Lauderdale after having been closed for 2 days and everyone now needed new flights was a true zoo. We were lucky that we were the last to make it as standbys on the first available flight back to NY.

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Best time of the year to go

Capture.thumb.JPG.a744b26161a4cea1652e8f093964d25a.JPG

Beats staying home

Blue dot is my condo

Stay safe! It might get to a cat 5. We are to sail out of Fort Lauderdale on Sunday and we lived in Port Saint Lucie for 27 years. Lived in Plantation Florida in 1973 till we moved to PSL. So we weathered a few. Even if the cruise is not cancelled we may stay home with the family instead.

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2019 at 4:07 PM, George C said:

One of my wife’s coworkers did cruise out of Galveston a few years ago when hurricane hit , ship would up docking in Florida to avoid storm, problem was her car parked in a near by lot was destroyed. 

Sounds like the same hurricane we dodged.

Would suck to be flying into our doing a cruise this weekend out of Fl, with the world to choose from and all the time in the world even though the probability is low, why not choose something else.      This is a bit different than choosing to go skiing, which you have to do in the winter and wondering about snow, LOL

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Would suck to be flying into our doing a cruise this weekend out of Fl, with the world to choose from and all the time in the world even though the probability is low, why not choose something else.      This is a bit different than choosing to go skiing, which you have to do in the winter and wondering about snow, LOL

There are lots of reasons to NOT cruise the Caribbean between June and November - the chance of hurricanes is just a more dramatic one.  

However cruise lines have bet fairly heavily on the mass market making silly decisions — and it seems to have paid  off for them in this case (among others).

• Like 1

Hurricane season doesn't deter me. There are two risks on the cruise itself during hurricane season.  Not making a specific port or turbulent seas.  IMO, those are not reasons to avoid a discounted cruise in September or October but I have no issue with motion sickness and am not bothered by rough seas.  Truth be told I like it when the weather gets rough.  YMMV. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 2:08 PM, clo said:

I don't get that either.  If you're major into cruising and nothing else, then are there 'fall foliage' trips or river cruises.  And train trips through the Canadian Rockies.  Or.... 🙂

On 8/24/2019 at 2:14 PM, navybankerteacher said:

...if you live within driving distance of any part of the East Coast you can spend a few days (at lower cost because peak season is over) and enjoy the best weather and warmest sea water temperatures of the year.

Cruising is great - but there is a time and a place for everything —- and September and the Caribbean are the worst on both counts.

Maybe because people have different lifestyles and preferences? Obviously they sell cruises during those months, so people go on them! 

We have an October anniversary, and it's typically a good time to leave our kids with my parents (depends on marching band - but currently we only have a middle school student!) My husband also likes a warm vacation, we've done January, March, April and May Caribbean cruise - and honestly, it was too cool in the Eastern Caribbean in March some days, and windy. We had rain in January, but overall it was nice weather. We don't escape cold weather, we live in Texas so we really enjoy the cold weather when it's here! We enjoy the ocean, the sun, the islands etc. Our third October cruise is coming up soon - and yes we think about the possibility of storms, but know that a ship won't be in the eye of the storm. While they may make itinerary changes we know that we will either 1) accept it 2) utilize their refund offered due to changes. We also don't typically do insurance because we calculated that insurance for 10 cruises eventually is the cost of one cruise - so if we do lose money once after many, many years or traveling (land and sea) we will take that for what it is and adapt! 

• Like 1

Just now, navybankerteacher said:

Where in the Eastern Caribbean was it too cool?  

CocoCay - my kids were wrapped in their beach towels on shore. (Texas kids... I wasn't cold, but it wasn't warm) Windy that day. We had wind most of the time, but our St. Thomas and St.Martin days were nice. They also couldn't swim on sea days, very choppy and pools were shut down most days. 

On 8/29/2019 at 12:16 AM, John&LaLa said:

Best time of the year to go

Capture.thumb.JPG.a744b26161a4cea1652e8f093964d25a.JPG

Beats staying home

Blue dot is my condo

Geeez...I just hope they have Mar A Lago appropriately sand-bagged

bcoz max. elevation on that barrier island is no more than about 15 ft. tops!

Mar A Lago, FL.JPG

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

There are lots of reasons to NOT cruise the Caribbean between June and November - the chance of hurricanes is just a more dramatic one.  

However cruise lines have bet fairly heavily on the mass market making silly decisions — and it seems to have paid  off for them in this case (among others).

Silly decisions🤔

Care to elaborate?

We're rapidly approaching Peak of Season.

Be afraid - be very afraid! lol

Both graphics show the same thing - peak of season at Sept. 10th

I just thought you might like a choice of color scheme...

This is NOAA statistics, not my invention.

peakofseason.png

WeatherUnderGroundAtlanticHurrSeasonImage_plainbackground.gif

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Silly decisions🤔

Care to elaborate?

Silly decisions! Really? We have cruised since 1994 and live in Port Saint Lucie Florida between Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral. We always do cruises during hurricane season but not during the time school is out. One major reason PRICE! Our Allure cruise was cut short by three days but we desided not to go this time. We will be receiving a 100% FCC. The other was a full refund from Carnival a few years ago. One cruise we were on we did not even know a hurricane was near us. When we returned our son asked us about the hurricane. We said, what hurricane? So out of 25 years of cursing only two. Silly? I do not think so. September, October and November cruises are lower in cost including January and sometimes February. From September to February we will book at least 4 cruises. Always Halloween on Carnival. Silly are those that prefer to pay more.

If you're going to the Caribbean and are not set on specific ports, I guess it's worth a shot.  I just saw that RCI and Disney have changed this week's itinerary from the eastern Caribbean to western and I  know in the past some NY/NJ sailings that were supposed to go to Bermuda ended up being a Canada/New England cruise.

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Silly decisions! Really? We have cruised since 1994 and live in Port Saint Lucie Florida between Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral. We always do cruises during hurricane season but not during the time school is out. One major reason PRICE! Our Allure cruise was cut short by three days but we desided not to go this time. We will be receiving a 100% FCC. The other was a full refund from Carnival a few years ago. One cruise we were on we did not even know a hurricane was near us. When we returned our son asked us about the hurricane. We said, what hurricane? So out of 25 years of cursing only two. Silly? I do not think so. September, October and November cruises are lower in cost including January and sometimes February. From September to February we will book at least 4 cruises. Always Halloween on Carnival. Silly are those that prefer to pay more.

I'm guessing she means silly about new ships, amping, coco cay, china, etc...

22 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm guessing she means silly about new ships, amping, coco cay, china, etc...

Don't think so.

Quote "However cruise lines have bet fairly heavily on the mass market making silly decisions — and it seems to have paid  off for them in this case (among others)."

By the way. Our next scheduled cruise is Halloween. Carnival Magic Fort Lauderdale Still hurricane season for sure.