Do you tip extra?

Thad409

We do your time dining so on our past cruises we would have a different waiter in the MDR on different nights on occasion, so I always would leave a cash tip on the table to show appreciation just encase we were seated in another area the following night with different waiters. Is this acceptable or should I just stick to the on board gratuity's that I pay. I most definitely always tip extra to a outstanding cabin Stewart that goes out of there way. Just curious.

• Like 1

Of course it's acceptable and whether you continue the process or not is entirely up to you. We don't use YTD but if the waitstaff provides extra service in response to our requests we'll typically leave extra for the team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bookbug53 said:

Tip if YOU want to and don't worry about what others do.

But thank you for this morning's tipping thread. It has been almost 24 hours. :classic_laugh:

HA!  Love your response, Bookbug!

30 minutes ago, Thad409 said:

I most definitely always tip extra to a outstanding cabin Stewart that goes out of there way. 

Or the Stewartess. I'm not a fan of Flight Attendant, much prefer Flight Stewart/Stewartess. 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Bookbug53 said:

Tip if YOU want to and don't worry about what others do.

But thank you for this morning's tipping thread. It has been almost 24 hours. :classic_laugh:

Sorry about that the last one may of answered my question. I missed it.👍

I was wondering this myself. 

We did set dining and had a nice team.  They didn't lobby for tips, though did ask for us to do the survey.  We tipped them all separately on the last night, in addition to the normal pre-paid ones. We then tipped our cabin steward additional monies in each of our cabins (family of 8).  I wondered if this was the new norm?  Tip with pre-paid grats and end-of-trip grats. We had empty tables all around us last night which was very likely a coincidence, but I also wondered if it was to avoid awkward last-night tips?? 

8 minutes ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

I was wondering this myself. 

We did set dining and had a nice team.  They didn't lobby for tips, though did ask for us to do the survey.  We tipped them all separately on the last night, in addition to the normal pre-paid ones. We then tipped our cabin steward additional monies in each of our cabins (family of 8).  I wondered if this was the new norm?  Tip with pre-paid grats and end-of-trip grats. We had empty tables all around us last night which was very likely a coincidence, but I also wondered if it was to avoid awkward last-night tips?? 

The answer to the last question is yes.  The survey is very important.  Mentioning crew by name can get them get time off, promotions and better job assignments.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

If I ever get a stateroom steward named Stewart I'm tipping him double!

✌️ 😊 ✌️ 

On a cruise about 10 years ago we had a Cabin Steward named Stewart but it was his last name . It was on an HAL cruise .

We always tip extra, room steward , we eat in specialty restaurants and suite restaurants so we tip extra with each meal, also tip dollar or two for drinks and concierge if he does something extra for us. But it is totally up to you , some people do not tip extra , many do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AHS123 said:

Or the Stewartess. I'm not a fan of Flight Attendant, much prefer Flight Stewart/Stewartess. 

The word is stewarD btw.  I don't say lawyeress or doctoress therefore....

6 minutes ago, clo said:

The word is stewarD btw.  I don't say lawyeress or doctoress therefore....

You're real quick on the draw there in Reno. Next time you might take a look at the reactions a post received by others before jumping.

2 minutes ago, AHS123 said:

You're real quick on the draw there in Reno. Next time you might take a look at the reactions a post received by others before jumping.

Did you think they were laughing WITH you? 

So DO you put "ess" on words a lot?  Not even very 20th Century IMneverHO 🙂

4 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

If I ever get a stateroom steward named Stewart I'm tipping him double!

✌️ 😊 ✌️ 

Triple if the name is Stewart D. Baker!  (Get it Studebaker -- Haha)

Edited by ldubs
  • Haha 1

We rarely eat in the MDR but generally add a separate gratuity for the waitstaff in the specialty restaurants.  The service from the stateroom attendants is always good but there have been times when we rarely see them, so it varies with additional gratuities with them.  But what frequently happens is we get a bottle of wine in our stateroom when we board as a result of our loyalty tier, but we are not big wine drinkers so that will often be left with a note to the stateroom attendant letting them know it is for them as a thank you.  We always tip the bartenders in the loyalty lounges per drink and the Concierge as they often arrange dinner plans and print out our boarding passes, etc., for us.