Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Thad409

Do you tip extra?

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I had a Stuart cabin steward on NCL once.

Is it possible that he was Stuart Stuart ?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, clo said:

Did you think they were laughing WITH you? 

 

So DO you put "ess" on words a lot?  Not even very 20th Century IMneverHO 🙂

 

Growing up I had a Governess

Who left to become a Stewardess

Then went to Hollywood to become an Actress

Met a Royal and became a Countess

Alas, that marriage went south when she became an Adulteress

No pre-nup so she lost out being an Heiress

Last I heard she works at I-Hop as a Hostess

 

'ess' is alive and well in the new millennium- ess!

 

Edited by DirtyDawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, clo said:

Did you think they were laughing WITH you? 

 

So DO you put "ess" on words a lot?  Not even very 20th Century IMneverHO 🙂

 

Removed -- fun intent but probably would be taken poorly.  Sorry about that.  

Edited by ldubs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, clo said:

Did you think they were laughing WITH you? 

 

So DO you put "ess" on words a lot?  Not even very 20th Century IMneverHO 🙂

Yep, they knew what I was saying, clearly you do not. You have a nice day there, lady. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

 

Growing up I had a Governess

Who left to become a Stewardess

Then went to Hollywood to become an Actress

Met a Royal and became a Countess

Alas, that marriage went south when she became an Adulteress

No pre-nup so she lost out being an Heiress

Last I heard she works at I-Hop as a Hostess

 

'ess' is alive and well in the new millennium- ess!

 

You're so clever.  Loved that. I'm guessing "countess" is the only one that has lived on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even with My Time or Anytime or whatever you call it, we generally have the same wait staff.   We tip over and above the standard gratuities if service is excellent.  Thing is the service has always been excellent.  Never really have we encountered bad service on a cruise ship.  I expect that many here on CC have opposite experiences.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, clo said:

The word is stewarD btw.  I don't say lawyeress or doctoress therefore....

 

 

 

634DFB00-6B37-4ACD-96F3-682620465D03.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

 

 

 

634DFB00-6B37-4ACD-96F3-682620465D03.jpeg

Thanks.  My main point was the "ess" thingy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Even with My Time or Anytime or whatever you call it, we generally have the same wait staff.   We tip over and above the standard gratuities if service is excellent.  Thing is the service has always been excellent.  Never really have we encountered bad service on a cruise ship.  I expect that many here on CC have opposite experiences.  

We never encountered bad restaurant service but on 2 occasions we encountered cabin Stewards from hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We never encountered bad restaurant service but on 2 occasions we encountered cabin Stewards from hell.

Oh my.  Please give some examples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do tip the staff in the specialty restaurants as it is not included in the cost of the meal on HAL ships.

 

At the end of the cruise we do give extra tips to those people who have made our cruise an enjoyable one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will tip over the automatic gratuities for exemplary service,  if I surmise tipping will result in preferential service or if I am making additional requests beyond what would be considered basic services.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Generally, I do not. There are times, but it's the exception, not the rule. I've had great service that has resulted in either an extra tip to my room attendant or a bartender, but I have also had some pretty mediocre service where I had no desire to tip even a penny extra (not bad service, just nothing worth extra). I would never take away the expected gratuity, but I only occasionally give extra.

Edited by Zach1213

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

 

Growing up I had a Governess

Who left to become a Stewardess

Then went to Hollywood to become an Actress

Met a Royal and became a Countess

Alas, that marriage went south when she became an Adulteress

No pre-nup so she lost out being an Heiress

Last I heard she works at I-Hop as a Hostess

 

'ess' is alive and well in the new millennium- ess!

 

Sorry about that ,all this over my misspelled wurd, Steward. But very clever I like it, I didn't do do it intentionally, Only excuse I have is I'm from Texas and proud of it. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to remember, but like all of you we've already tipped a tidy sum for all of them, how they actually distribute it between them all who knows, anyone?

 

I remember the good ole days a pile of envelopes to distribute to everyone that touched you, was good, was bad.  The guidelines to tip the head waiter, he getting an envelope from everyone, while your waiter and junior waiter so much less, always wanted to top the junior waiter the most along with my room steward.

 

These days always leave between 2-5/day for the room steward,  bottom of the totem pole and works the hardest.   Everyone else comes down to did they really do something special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IF we give extra, we do it on the last evening, as is customary....we never leave money on the table.  Any extra is personally handed to the person we wish to give extra.

 

The tips that are added to your account go to the cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiter.   

 

Whether their tips are "shared" with others is a waste of time to worry about.  Heck, even in restaurants on land, your tip to your server is shared with the bus person, bartender (if you order a bar drink) and the person who seats you.....it's all part of the way tipped employees work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why?

Like most Brits do not get this..........

If you have paid tips already , why pay again?

This master / servant approach and double tipping is mad.

Why not pay a fair price upfront and pay staff properly,  Not a bribe culture. ABSURD.   !!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Why?

Like most Brits do not get this..........

If you have paid tips already , why pay again?

This master / servant approach and double tipping is mad.

Why not pay a fair price upfront and pay staff properly,  Not a bribe culture. ABSURD.   !!!!!!!!!

Oh, please, just stop. We really don't need to continue to  beat the broken, rotting, corpse of that dead horse all over again.  The OP simply asked if you tip extra. Why couldn't you have just said "No"?

 

Since we do "get this" and find no point in futile complaints about the current modus operandi of the US owned cruiseline's,  we do usually tip extra to our cabin steward if they have provided us with extras that we have requested. We do Anytime dining, but generally request the same area each night, so will frequently tip our waiter, assistant waiter and sommelier at the end of the cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we live in a country with options ... a lot of options,  and the willingness to pass on our good will.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mom says said:

Oh, please, just stop. We really don't need to continue to  beat the broken, rotting, corpse of that dead horse all over again.  The OP simply asked if you tip extra. Why couldn't you have just said "No"?

 

Since we do "get this" and find no point in futile complaints about the current modus operandi of the US owned cruiseline's,  we do usually tip extra to our cabin steward if they have provided us with extras that we have requested. We do Anytime dining, but generally request the same area each night, so will frequently tip our waiter, assistant waiter and sommelier at the end of the cruise. 

You could have just said "yes"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. 

I see newbies adding a tip to the already built in tip and I want to mention that they are double tipping, but I don't.

Helps make up for people like me that believe gratuities included means gratuities included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not even close to a "newbie" and I still add additional tips for some of the staff. If others don't like that, too bad, but not my problem. OP, tip what you feel OK with and don't worry about others opinion of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't leave a tip at the table on a cruise. The auto gratuities cover that. If we find a server or steward who really made a different in our cruise, we'll tip more on the final night of the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...