Canada Place

What is good clean hotel close to Canada Place cruise terminal. Looking for something very close as I use a rolling walker.  We will just be spending the night before our cruise.  Thanks for your suggestions 

The Ports of Call - Canada (Alaska/pacific) section also has some excellent discussion on this.  We went with the Pan Pacific after reviewing discussions on those two sites and have really enjoyed the experience.  Love the Vancouver skyline and bustle, and taking an elevator to the port.   A tad pricey (though not as bad as I thought since prices on my site were quoted in Canadian $)  but we monitor the hotel site and pounce when we see a price drop.  Have also used Hotwire In the past, seeking properties in that area.

28 minutes ago, Elliern said:

Thanks everyone. I will start monitoring the Pan Pacific for price drop.  Right now it is pretty pricey for one night.  

Yes, it is pretty pricey, but we've decided it's well worth the expense.   You start your trip out feeling pampered and relaxed, which is worth quite a bit to us.    

• Like 1

Actually the current price I’m seeing now is less than our originally fared date for Pan Pacific (we called and re-booked).  Another good benchmark for hotel research is the price comparisons offered by various third party booking sites (eg, Hotels.com etc) to give an idea of range.  The price we’re booking Pan Pacific is less than we’ve paid in downtown Denver so worth it to us today, but in past years when things were tighter at home, we’ve made other choices.   Note that when doing price comparisons between hotel and other sites, be aware of what currency is being used. 

it’s exciting to be researching options for a new cruise - have a great time!

4 hours ago, Elliern said:

Thanks everyone. I will start monitoring the Pan Pacific for price drop.  Right now it is pretty pricey for one night.  

Depends on how you define pricey. It's an excellent hotel (far more than "good and clean"). So, it's very doubtful that you will see a price drop for any embarkation eve.

A few blocks away is the Marriott Pinnacle Hotel. Also excellent.

18 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Depends on how you define pricey. It's an excellent hotel (far more than "good and clean"). So, it's very doubtful that you will see a price drop for any embarkation eve.

18 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The Marriott is about the same price even with a discount.  I am sure they are both great hotels.  I will just keep watching. Our cruise is almost a year away so prices could go up or down in that time.  

Thanks for all the helpful information. 

The Pan Pacific is always expensive. The location is unique, the views breathtaking, the demand beyond imagination, that makes the price. Any other hotel will do,since the cab rides within Vancouver Downtown are never long. Vancouver's top secret recommedation is The Buchan Hotel, Haro Street, not far from Stanley Park. Stayed there several times, but is has a few stairs to get up to the ground floor. Another basic hotel is English Bay Hotel on Denman, I remember it has easy access for wheelchairs, too and an elevator. For only one night it's perfect and right next to Vancouver's best Ice Cream Parlor. (D'oro Gelato - yummie!)

3 hours ago, cruisegermany said:

The Pan Pacific is always expensive. The location is unique, the views breathtaking, the demand beyond imagination, that makes the price. Any other hotel will do,since the cab rides within Vancouver Downtown are never long. Vancouver's top secret recommedation is The Buchan Hotel, Haro Street, not far from Stanley Park. Stayed there several times, but is has a few stairs to get up to the ground floor. Another basic hotel is English Bay Hotel on Denman, I remember it has easy access for wheelchairs, too and an elevator. For only one night it's perfect and right next to Vancouver's best Ice Cream Parlor. (D'oro Gelato - yummie!)

Thanks for taking the time to respond and share information.  It is very helpful.  Right now I am watching rates at the Pan Pacific and one other one.  Since the rates are much lower now, than a year from now, I am hoping they will drop as we get closer to cruise date.  If not then we will look at some of the alternatives that you and others suggest. And we love really good ice cream.  I often make reservations at two or three hotels and then make final decision a few months out. 

If it's MORE than a year away, you may be best to wait until about 11 months in. I've found more than a few hotels do not actually take resos beyond a year ahead. Once you can compare the actual hotel site with the many and varied online booking engines, you'll have all the data available rather than guesses as to price/availability from 3rd parties for some of the hotels.

At that point I agree with CYYC, get something booked ASAP that's within your budget and refundable - then keep checking every now & again. Nearer the time you can swap to a non-refundable rate if it's a better deal.

As to reccos - when the only criteria are 'good and clean' in Vancouver, since literally EVERY downtown hotel is close to the pier, it's hard to look beyond the YWCA Hotel. Despite finally moving to dynamic pricing they're still usually the cheapest in the city, with the only better deals having serious flaws for you (no elevator in most of the small, old, cheap, hotels even if they're well-maintained and why take the stairs with a walker if you can avoid it!?)

Thanks for replying.  I am looking for something with good water views that is also at least a 4 star rating.  And close to Canada Place.  Having said that, I really don’t want to go over $300 USD for the one night.  It may not be possible.  But I think waiting another month or two is a good suggestion. 

Honestly Ellie, 'close to Canada Place' is every single hotel in the downtown core (even walking/driving rather than as the crow flies, the furthest is <2 miles away with the great majority less than a mile, so at worst you're looking at a $15 cab ride)!!! It's the combination of water view/4*/<CAD$400 parts that will be tricky - as the rooms in the hotels with those views are usually quite a bit more than the rooms without water views.

Unless you actually plan to make use of the added facilities that a 4* hotel has, and are unwilling to leave the hotel to get them (there are for example far more excellent independent restaurants and spas than there are in-hotel ones, turndowns are nice but you could just buy yourself an insanely-good artisanal truffle to put on your own pillow for just a few bucks at most, a well-connected concierge might be useful somewhere with hard-to-find theatre tickets etc. but that isn't generally the case in Vancouver, and how often do you ever actually use a hotel pool?), you could consider dropping down 0.5/1 * rating and adding in places like the Coast Coal Harbour and Blue Horizon without actually compromising the pleasantness of your experience - the high rooms in the latter especially have very expansive views. Just read up on Tripadvisor, Expedia confirmed reviews etc and focus on the 'Service' category to see which hotels-with-a-view punch above their weight in terms of good staff even if they don't have business centres or swimming pools.

Some folks still swear by the 'grand old lady of English Bay' - the Sylvia Hotel. Back in the day it was relatively fancy, it's been recently renovated (including totally repiped so no more terrible water pressure), and it certainly looks the part with an ivy-covered facade and lots of nice old wood in the public spaces. Water view it has - just not the North Shore mountains which are what most folks tend to have seen in pictures. Likewise the Granville Island hotel - you can't get more convenient for visiting GI itself, and views are across water to both sides of False Creek.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 2:28 PM, Elliern said:

Thanks for replying.  I am looking for something with good water views that is also at least a 4 star rating.  And close to Canada Place.  Having said that, I really don’t want to go over $300 USD for the one night.  It may not be possible.  But I think waiting another month or two is a good suggestion. 

I don't know if you are aware but at Pan Pacific and a few of the other hotels you have the bellman come to your room and get your luggage (it needs the cruise line luggage tags) and the next time you see it is in your state room. So for me I loved that convenience and am staying there again next year.

Then you  take the elevator to the ground floor and walk to the check in area for your cruise.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

You can also cancel if you find something better.

I booked a rate through one of the online sites that I don't have to pay until I get there and can cancel anytime up to 24 or  3 days before. I will watch and see if they have a cruise and stay offer after the first of the year. They did this year