First time going to Curacao-shopping suggestions

peanut1277

Curacao is a lovely town to just walk around and check out the shops and restaurants. It's a bit like a European town plunked down in the Caribbean, with Dutch-looking buildings in tropical colors. Once you cross the floating bridge, there is a manageable area to walk around and check out the window displays from the Handelskade (first street along the channel you crossed on the bridge) to Columbusstraat, which parallels the first, and several alleys and cross-streets between. The floating market, which ran along the street turning the corner from Handelskade, is reportedly greatly diminished because of the issues with Venezuela. Of course there are the usual touristy (junky) souvenir stores and more commercial chain store, but there are still smaller, local shops. We really like one of the local t-shirt shops, but the name is escaping me at the moment. I will try to add it to this thread later. 

On 8/23/2019 at 3:06 PM, CntPAcruiser said:

Curacao is a lovely town to just walk around and check out the shops and restaurants. It's a bit like a European town plunked down in the Caribbean, with Dutch-looking buildings in tropical colors. Once you cross the floating bridge, there is a manageable area to walk around and check out the window displays from the Handelskade (first street along the channel you crossed on the bridge) to Columbusstraat, which parallels the first, and several alleys and cross-streets between. The floating market, which ran along the street turning the corner from Handelskade, is reportedly greatly diminished because of the issues with Venezuela. Of course there are the usual touristy (junky) souvenir stores and more commercial chain store, but there are still smaller, local shops. We really like one of the local t-shirt shops, but the name is escaping me at the moment. I will try to add it to this thread later. 

The floating market does not have but a few local vendors now.

Check out Copperstone store to meet local artist Melissa of Dhanarts, located at the back of the Gomezplein (Hanchi Snoa #9) and see Skadey, the "official Cat " of Curaçao. 

11 hours ago, hrmkr said:

bup1224,

Is there any specific souvenir/item that can only be found in Bonaire?  i like to try to find stuff specific to each island we visit.

Thanks,

Howard

Salt made in Bonaire 

With regard to my earlier post, "Best of Curacao" is the name of the souvenir and t-shirt shop one or two streets back from the Handelskade. They have high-quality embroidered t-shirts, hats, etc.

Curacao (the liqueur) would certainly be a memorable product to bring back as a souvenir as well, and it can be purchased in various colors (and a few flavors in combination with the original orange) at many stores around town, not just at the "factory" itself. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 1:25 PM, peanut1277 said:

bup1224 you mentioned Salt in Bonaire for a souvenir (for skin) ? what is  Curacao's speciality item be ? is it the liquor-from distillery?

Salt that we got in Bonaire was for cooking (spice/seasoning).

Yes, the liquor and as mentioned,  you can get it anywhere not just a the distillery. 

On 8/27/2019 at 8:51 PM, bup1224 said:

Salt that we got in Bonaire was for cooking (spice/seasoning).

Yes, the liquor and as mentioned,  you can get it anywhere not just a the distillery. 

Can you give a rough idea how much a bottle of Curacao is at a store?  Same with a bottle of salt.  Any particular stores that you can get a good deal since probably most stores have it.

trying to plan my souvenir budget.

2 hours ago, hrmkr said:

Can you give a rough idea how much a bottle of Curacao is at a store?  Same with a bottle of salt.  Any particular stores that you can get a good deal since probably most stores have it.

trying to plan my souvenir budget.

We bought the salt/spices in Bonaire in 2016, they were cheap, a few dollars each.

I checked with our favorite souvenir shop in Curaçao,  Copperstone,  and they sell the large bottles of the liquor for $18.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 3:06 PM, CntPAcruiser said:

What is the floating bridge ?

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2019 at 5:02 PM, bup1224 said:

Check out Copperstone store to meet local artist Melissa of Dhanarts, located at the back of the Gomezplein (Hanchi Snoa #9) and see Skadey, the "official Cat " of Curaçao. 

I'm SO GLAD I saw this!  Can you tell me about how much one of the Skadey's would cost? I've been Googling but haven't really found much information.  I'm definitely visiting this shop!

8 hours ago, Eldaph said:

I'm SO GLAD I saw this!  Can you tell me about how much one of the Skadey's would cost? I've been Googling but haven't really found much information.  I'm definitely visiting this shop!

They are $50.

You can contact her via Facebook,  the page is Dhanarts

On 11/8/2019 at 9:07 PM, bup1224 said:

They are $50.

You can contact her via Facebook,  the page is Dhanarts

Thank you, I actually found her on both FB and Instagram.  I've never seen info on her store before, again thank you so much! I can't wait to visit next week :)

6 hours ago, Eldaph said:

Thank you, I actually found her on both FB and Instagram.  I've never seen info on her store before, again thank you so much! I can't wait to visit next week 🙂

Again my pleasure! I saw her today and she told me (I work in Punda too so maybe I'll see you next week 😀)

On 11/12/2019 at 6:18 PM, bup1224 said:

Again my pleasure! I saw her today and she told me (I work in Punda too so maybe I'll see you next week 😀)

I love her pictures and can't wait to bring home my very own Skadey!