Tipping Porters

denmarks

On 8/22/2019 at 3:52 PM, denmarks said:

What is the current reasonable tip per bag? 

Have you ever traveled with others in the same car and only paid a tip for your own bag? I had a porter get upset until I clearly stated that the tip was just for my one bag and someone else will tip for the others.

What a jerk he was. Tips aren't mandatory. We tip, but if a porter said something like that I would want my tip back.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:59 PM, The Mikado said:

The bottom line is that for many, their world revolves around tips. If I just spent $2k on a cruise, the difference between a $5 tip and a $10 tip is not moving the needle for me, but it may for the person doing his best for me on the receiving end.

Despite my, sometimes, combative nature, I come from the Franciscan tradition, one tenet of which is the notion that if your charitable giving doesn't make you uncomfortable, you're not giving enough.

I have been richly blessed and I don't mind sharing that with porters, waiters, room stewards, tour bus drivers, et al.

I'm on vacation and I ain't sweatin' nothin'.

Except people who wear shorts and flip-flops to formal night.

So you also tip your airline pilots? 😁

On 8/22/2019 at 10:04 PM, clo said:

We go inside, get our baggage tags and then go to the counter.  So no.  But are those guys outside airline employees?  I have no idea.

PS:  I just did the math for, say, SF.  $35/hr x 40 hr/wk x 50 wks is $70k

And that doesn't include tips.

On 8/27/2019 at 9:47 PM, Elaine5715 said:

That is not what he said.  There is no job in the US that is high paying, cushy and held exclusively by elderly men of color. 

Good grief! 🙄🙄. What does color or age have to do with it?

Edited by ReneeFLL

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Good grief! 🙄🙄. What does color or age have to do with it?

Well, notice how she disappeared after she was comprehensively refuted for the second time with exactly the same link to a post of chengkp75 saying exactly what she claimed he hadn't said.  So, large grains of salt should be taken with any of her posts.

I know people feel that the porters make a lot of money and don't need to be tipped. I don't care if they do and good for them, I still tip. Two checked and two carry on, usually $15-$20. To much? Not enough? It is what I tip. Not because I believe that it somehow insures my bag won't get "lost". Although that would be a funny picture. Tippers pile inside and non tippers pile on the edge of the port ready to fall in.
I don't understand why some get so worked up about this topic that seems to get brought quite often. Just do what you want and have a great trip.

• Like 1

I agree, do what you want to do and don’t worry about what others do.  We tip, more if the person does something above and beyond the service we expected.

To answer the original question though, yes, we have been in a car when each person tipped separately and never had any questions.  We’ve also been in situations where one person tipped amply for everyone and then the guy seemed to expect more from the other people in the car.

On 8/22/2019 at 4:58 PM, sleepless said:

left from Port  Everglades this summer.  Porters were not aggressive or demanding.  Instead they were very helpful.  The porter who helped us did not refuse the tip, but, he did not demand one either.

That was our experince  last week , I have had some that are real jerks. The best on the East Coast are Balt. very nice and helpful.

5 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I don't understand why some get so worked up about this topic that seems to get brought quite often. Just do what you want and have a great trip.

And adhere to the 'dress code.' 🙂 

• Haha 1