Meet and Mingles

lenquixote66

It's hit or miss with us.  It depends on the Roll Call and what type of discussions there are, and we have skipped a number as a result.  We have also met several good friends with whom we continue to cruise and see socially at home from M & M's.  (In fact we are headed up to NY tomorrow to spend the weekend with one such couple with whom - along with another couple met on board - we will be cruising over NYE). We have been to several that were very quiet and unexciting as well.  They don't hold the same interest for us as they once did, but as said, it depends on how the Roll Call is with us.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I live in a relatively small town of 32,000 people.To date I have never met anyone on a cruise from m town. On my next cruise there will be one who like me is quite active on the Meet and Greet for our cruise.I am looking forward to finally meeting someone from our town.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I live in a relatively small town of 32,000 people.To date I have never met anyone on a cruise from m town. On my next cruise there will be one who like me is quite active on the Meet and Greet for our cruise.I am looking forward to finally meeting someone from our town.

Before we moved to the current house we lived in a town of about 38K.  Twice we have bumped into folks from our town.   One was a Mexican Riveria cruise and we already knew the family.   The second was on a Med cruise where we met a couple who lived literally a few blocks from us.   Crazy.  

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

While that is great that you will meet someone local on board, I just want to add that, relative to my prior post, none of the people I was referring to as now good friends through cruising are local to us.  They are scattered from Florida, to Canada, to Wisconsin, and NY. We have yet to meet someone local to us that we have become friends with.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

3 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Many years ago we used to go to the Meet and Greets.  But when they started to play games at the Meet and Greet. we stopped going to them.  Then they also arranged for cabin crawls at the end of the meeting -- definitely stopped us from attending.

What's a "cabin crawl"?

2 minutes ago, clo said:

What's a "cabin crawl"?

It is an organized activity - typically from the M & M - where interested participants go from other's stateroom to stateroom to see what different categories look like.  More interesting if there is a range of categories from inside to suites to look at.  Never was of interest to us.

3 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

I believe at the cabin crawls,  the host of each cabin provides drinks, snacks, or something for hospitality purposes. Otherwise,  who needs to look at a different cabin class. 

That isn't our experience. Perhaps if someone is showing a suite in the concierge area, called by various names depending on the line. But certainly not in every, or even most cabins. 

Why go on one? You are new to the line and haven't seen other types of cabins; you can't really see in your mind how much difference 17 sq. ft. more or less makes; or don't know what's so special about an aft balcony, an angled balcony, "hump," or sweet sixteen" cabin.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:15 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Do you attend Meet and Mingles on a cruise ? We have on every cruise since 2010 and have made really good friends.

No. It seems like forced fun to me.

I hate forced fun events.

Edited by DarrenM

9 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It is an organized activity - typically from the M & M - where interested participants go from other's stateroom to stateroom to see what different categories look like.  More interesting if there is a range of categories from inside to suites to look at.  Never was of interest to us.

Sometimes the host of each cabin holds out playing cards face down.Each person coming to view the cabin takes a card. The person who winds up with the best poker hand wins the pot.The amount is determined by the amount determined to be the ante.

We do Cabin crawls and slot pulls.

2 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

That isn't our experience. Perhaps if someone is showing a suite in the concierge area, called by various names depending on the line. But certainly not in every, or even most cabins. 

Why go on one? You are new to the line and haven't seen other types of cabins; you can't really see in your mind how much difference 17 sq. ft. more or less makes; or don't know what's so special about an aft balcony, an angled balcony, "hump," or sweet sixteen" cabin.

I don't know if they're all the same but Oceania's site shows a floor plan and photo of every cabin type.  And cruisedeckplans.com is great.  

It is fun .Usually about 30 people go to each cabin.A lot of conversation.The cabin host offers snacks .On a cabin crawl last year the host of one of the cabins gave each person a gift. He was a hobbyist and gave us things that he made.

On another crawl one of the cabin hosts was an author and gave every person a signed copy of a paperback book that he wrote.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I don't know if they're all the same but Oceania's site shows a floor plan and photo of every cabin type.  And cruisedeckplans.com is great.  

You ever order something online based a photo and description and then been disappointed? Maybe felt just a little deceived? Wished you were able to try it on, pick it up and hold it, or operate it before you purchased it?  

I take travel advertising photos with a grain of salt. Camera angles, cropping, lens selection, and yes even image manipulation can alter reality. Just for kicks, go to oyster.com and wander around their "photo fake outs." 

But suit yourself, it's your vacation.

• Like 2