Meet and Mingles

lenquixote66

1 minute ago, CPT Trips said:

You ever order something online based a photo and description and then been disappointed? Maybe felt just a little deceived? Wished you were able to try it on, pick it up and hold it, or operate it before you purchased it?  

I take travel advertising photos with a grain of salt. Camera angles, cropping, lens selection, and yes even image manipulation can alter reality. Just for kicks, go to oyster.com and wander around their "photo fake outs." 

But suit yourself, it's your vacation.

LOL.  I'm definitely a "glass half full" kinda person and am almost never disappointed.  There are also TA-filmed videos of cabins and other things.

You might "enjoy" seeing the cabin we had on Hurtigruten's Midnatsol on their Norwegian coastal cruise.

IMG_6639 - Edited.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

We like to see different cabins. Usually it is every type of cabin on the ship.

Lenny on one cabin crawl we were in our normal grand suite on rccl liberty . Most people seem to love seeing bigger suites, but another passenger also from Dallas said he had the same exact suite booked on a later cruise. We have a music charter in February in a huge suite and will invite roll call for a drink since mini bar is a perk. 

Holy crap, what a hole. If you were happy staying in a glorified closet, then I guess you would be ecstatic over anything else. And since you have no curiosity about what all of the other cabin categories actually look and feel like in person, then there is no reason for you to go on a cabin crawl. No one is going to drag you down the corridors kicking and screaming. But kindly allow the rest of us, who prefer first hand knowledge over the virtual variety, to indulge in an enjoyable tour while getting to know some of our fellow cruisers.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

Certainly puts the "hurt" in Hurtigruten.

Is that a towel animal on the table?

It brings back memories of me and my "authorized commissary agent" traveling Europe on $5 a day . . . make sure to pack a robe as the WC is down the hall. And be sure to have a few spare marks, francs, pence, lira, or whatever and reserve a time for a bath (maybe a floor up or down).

Edited by CPT Trips

4 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Certainly puts the "hurt" in Hurtigruten.

Is that a towel animal on the table?

It brings back memories of me and my "authorized commissary agent" traveling Europe on $5 a day . . . make sure to pack a robe as the WC is down the hall. And be sure to have a few spare marks, francs, pence, lira, or whatever and reserve a time for a bath (maybe a floor up or down).

I'm guessing you were replying to me 🙂  We actually did have a bathroom although there are some cabins that don't. But here's what it was all about.

IMG_6773 - Edited.jpg

2 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm guessing you were replying to me 🙂  We actually did have a bathroom although there are some cabins that don't. But here's what it was all about.

IMG_6773 - Edited.jpg

Or this.  From our porthole.  It was glorious.  A hundred pax.  We were the only two from the US.

IMG_6693 - Edited.jpg

Back to the OP's question:  Usually we do, unless there's a conflict with something else we prioritize.  And just an FYI,  MSC does the NICEST CC meet and greet of any line we've ever sailed on.

Edited by marco

2 hours ago, clo said:

Which is what?  My point is that on that ship which carries 100 pax we're there for the beauty of the surroundings outside.

One would assume that there would be little interest in a cabin crawl when youre sailing on what looks like a floating tin can and cabins that look more like a cell than a stateroom. Hardly the same thing as exploring the cabin  differences on a modern cruise ship. Yet you seem to think these are comparable situations. That you took this particular cruise for the "beauty" of surroundings outside is completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

You stated earlier that you saw no need to go on a cabin crawl because you could see all you needed to see via deck plans and photos/videos. By that very logic, you could see all that " beauty of the surroundings outside"  by staying home and buying a photo book.  The poster you quoted made a valid observation.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mom says said:

The poster you quoted made a valid observation.

And I gave my opinion.  Since rudeness has reared its ugly head I'll go ahead and say I think it's a really stupid thing to do.  If I'm in a hotel and am interested in what other rooms are like I can look at photos.  To think about going into a specific person's room is so far out there as to be, well, just too far out there.  

DW and I go, some are fun and some are duds.  It's nice to see other people we've met before on other cruises.  We did win a bottle of wine and a t-shirt.  We did go on a cabin crawl, I thought it would be boring but it actually turned out to be one of the most fun M&Ms attended.  Great people and it was good to see them as we moved about the ship.

1 hour ago, JTBCruiser said:

DW and I go, some are fun and some are duds.  It's nice to see other people we've met before on other cruises.  We did win a bottle of wine and a t-shirt.  We did go on a cabin crawl, I thought it would be boring but it actually turned out to be one of the most fun M&Ms attended.  Great people and it was good to see them as we moved about the ship.

I take pictures of people that I become friendly with .I use a camera that has film to be developed and I take the pictures on other cruises .If I see the people I give them the pictures.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:16 PM, cruizergal70 said:

I believe at the cabin crawls,  the host of each cabin provides drinks, snacks, or something for hospitality purposes. Otherwise,  who needs to look at a different cabin class. 

The cabin crawls we have done, there were never any drinks or refreshments.
As for looking at different cabin classes, it was nice to see a grand suite, and on the Oasis, you cannot imagine what an Aqua cabin is like.  Imagine a balcony that has picnic tables and can hold 50 people comfortably.
They are usually held on a sea day, and is an activity that can be somewhat special.
One other thing, we have always started out at the highest deck so we could use the stairs and avoid elevators.

On 8/24/2019 at 11:22 AM, clo said:

And I gave my opinion.  Since rudeness has reared its ugly head I'll go ahead and say I think it's a really stupid thing to do.  If I'm in a hotel and am interested in what other rooms are like I can look at photos.  To think about going into a specific person's room is so far out there as to be, well, just too far out there.  

Yet, you felt the need to show us your room, unsolicited. 🙄

• Like 3

Much prefer to just meet people organically, once on board the ship.  My husband and I are happy to introduce ourselves to others at the bars and lounges, also at trivia, and make our cruise friends that way.  One cruise in particular, our Zuiderdam partial Panama Canal, we ended up in the Crow's Nest every evening around 6:30pm in anticipation of Trivia along with 6-8 others who would also congregate at the same time.  We'd then find ourselves back there for a nightcap, same group.  Not sure if that would have happened as naturally through a Meet & Greet.

3 hours ago, msmayor said:

Much prefer to just meet people organically, once on board the ship.  My husband and I are happy to introduce ourselves to others at the bars and lounges, also at trivia, and make our cruise friends that way.  One cruise in particular, our Zuiderdam partial Panama Canal, we ended up in the Crow's Nest every evening around 6:30pm in anticipation of Trivia along with 6-8 others who would also congregate at the same time.  We'd then find ourselves back there for a nightcap, same group.  Not sure if that would have happened as naturally through a Meet & Greet.

Roll call online introduced us to two fine cruisers and trivia partners, dolphins and

snorkelinbarb. For a few years after, we ran into them on roll calls and then onboard at the M&G. We very rarely communicated outside the roll call or once onboard. Never arranged our schedules to do the same cruise, just luck. 

3 hours ago, msmayor said:

Roll call online introduced us to two fine cruisers and trivia partners, dolphins and

snorkelinbarb. For a few years after, we ran into them on roll calls and then onboard at the M&G. We very rarely communicated outside the roll call or once onboard. Never arranged our schedules to do the same cruise, just luck.