Changing the number of people in a cabin

Hi everyone,

I cant seem to get a clear answer on this matter for the three cruiselines in my price range (i.e., P&O, RCCL and carnival) so I thought the community here might have tips. Are you better off booking based on 2 people in the cabin and changing the booking to a 1 person cabin if the person cannot make it closer to the time; or booking based on 1 person in the cabin and adding a person closer to the time when they confirm they can definitely make it? 

The context of this is that I had incorrectly assumed that since booking for 1 person is the same price as 2 people, that it would just be a standard processing fee (like $50 name change) if the second person could no longer attend but the cabin had been paid in full with a recent P&O cruise. I was informed by the first 7 people at P&O I talked to that their policy was that they would cancel the 2 person booking and I would pay the pp price difference between the 1 and 2 person cabin, and that there would be no refund on the previous booking for the canceled person as it was outside the refund time (essentially meaning I would have paid the full price for 2 people, and then half that price again). The fee ended up being waived once I sent an email using an ACCC complaint template, but I figure there must be a better process than this as surely when someone in the cabin gets sick, misses their flight, has a work emergency etc, the people who are at the terminal before the ship leaves arnt stuck with additional costs for a fully paid cabin if the booking is made in their name.

Does anyone have any experience and advice on this?

Thanks

I haven't had experience on this, but instead of going through the procedure outlined (effectively paying for 3 people), wouldn't it be better for the second person just to be a "no show". Anything can happen at the last moment. 🙂The person could have the 'flu, or even the dreaded noro. Obviously there wouldn't be a refund of their fare, but you are not expecting that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flick_au said:

Hi everyone,

I cant seem to get a clear answer on this matter for the three cruiselines in my price range (i.e., P&O, RCCL and carnival) so I thought the community here might have tips. Are you better off booking based on 2 people in the cabin and changing the booking to a 1 person cabin if the person cannot make it closer to the time; or booking based on 1 person in the cabin and adding a person closer to the time when they confirm they can definitely make it? 

The context of this is that I had incorrectly assumed that since booking for 1 person is the same price as 2 people, that it would just be a standard processing fee (like $50 name change) if the second person could no longer attend but the cabin had been paid in full with a recent P&O cruise. I was informed by the first 7 people at P&O I talked to that their policy was that they would cancel the 2 person booking and I would pay the pp price difference between the 1 and 2 person cabin, and that there would be no refund on the previous booking for the canceled person as it was outside the refund time (essentially meaning I would have paid the full price for 2 people, and then half that price again). The fee ended up being waived once I sent an email using an ACCC complaint template, but I figure there must be a better process than this as surely when someone in the cabin gets sick, misses their flight, has a work emergency etc, the people who are at the terminal before the ship leaves arnt stuck with additional costs for a fully paid cabin if the booking is made in their name.

Thanks

Well trying to organise people is a curse and changing a booking with a cruise Line is a bigger curse.

From my experience changing the amount of people in a cabin is expensive and

last time I tried to organise friends I ended canceling and losing my deposit 

I know what it is like with Princess.

When you book solo with Princess you pay for the whole cabin at double occupancy regardless. If you want to add a friend at a later date generally there is no extra fee at all. This I have done on multiple occasions including just last week. The only thing you will have to do is increase the deposit amount to avoid the booking from cancelling if the final payment is not due.

The above option is better if you are not sure who can come with you. You are guaranteed a cabin yourself and generally you can add people at a later stage.

With Princess the person listed as the number 1 occupant can not be removed from the booking. You can change the name of the number 2 person if they cannot come. That I know can be done because I had two friends do that in March this year.

Also with Princess sometimes their fares and sales vanish for a single person once they have sold their allocated quota for single passengers. To get around this if you really want to go is to book as a twin and nominate a friend or relative as number 2. You can still turn up as a single regardless if they intended to cruise or not. You can change the names of the second occupant before sailing if you manage to find someone.

Also when doing this with Princess it is best to call someone in the Australian office to handle your matter. If you select new bookings you will likely get put through to the Australian office or American office. If you select the option to discuss an existing booking then you will get connected to the Philippine office and unfortunately they do not have the power or authority to make such amendments.  They only know how to cancel bookings as most people ring up for that if their option is to discuss an existing booking.

7 hours ago, flick_au said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Ok, so I sort of have some advice on this. Firstly, if you book a cabin for one person, there is a risk that the cruiseline will not allow you to add another person later. They have quotas and things, and they don't always match with what we would think is common sense, so you would be taking a risk. 

Secondly, I find that P&O are terrible when it comes to making changes/adjustments to your booking. They treat pretty much every change as a cancellation and rebooking. Even if you're trying to spend more money with them, they won't let you upgrade! I have only had luck with adding a person to a booking once with them but every other time I just get told I will be forfeiting all money paid and then rebooking.

I have no experience with RCCL or Carnival so cannot comment on them, but agree with the post above that Princess are good. They let me make changes to booked guests, re-fare bookings, add/remove people and switch cabin categories all the time, including after final payment date and up until cruise date. I always book direct if the price is pretty close because I find them great to deal with on this front.

Finally, I also agree with the above that there can always be a "no show" at the dock, and sometimes that's the best way to handle things, depending on your situation. Before booking, check with the cruiseline for what would happen in that circumstance. 

17 hours ago, flick_au said:

The fee ended up being waived once I sent an email using an ACCC complaint template

Firstly, I feel your pain.  After one failed attempt with P & O, I will never, ever consider booking with them again.  Secondly, can you please provide a link to the ACCC complaint template?  

On 8/24/2019 at 9:37 AM, Bubbeh said:

Firstly, I feel your pain.  After one failed attempt with P & O, I will never, ever consider booking with them again.  Secondly, can you please provide a link to the ACCC complaint template?  

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/complaints-problems/write-a-complaint-letter/complaint-letter-tool

Also, thank you everyone for taking the time to comment. Sounds like a no-show is a good option (as well as princess if I decide to spend the extra money). 

• Thanks 1