Alaska on Royal

Dawniegirl19

Hello I will be traveling on Princess for the first time, to Alaska.  I’m on Royal Princess, going to Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. I’m traveling solo so I booked a lot of activities since we will be at port for several hours.  I’m wondering if anyone knows where the Royal docks in proximity to the Mt Roberts Tram and where would I locate the non tour shuttles to Mendenhall Glacier.  We are in port 8am to 9pm. If I head out around 4pm will I have time to shuttle over to Mendenhall, Nugget Falls, shuttle back and take the tram before heading back to the ship?  That’s 5 hours but I have to add in wait times, walking and delays coming down from Mt Roberts. Are there a lot of trails at the top or is it a stop view, take photos, get back on tram and enjoy the ride?

How long are wait times for shuttles and tram?  Thank you 

Edited by Dawniegirl19

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 7:24 AM, Dawniegirl19 said:

Hello I will be traveling on Princess for the first time, to Alaska.  I’m on Royal Princess, going to Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. I’m traveling solo so I booked a lot of activities since we will be at port for several hours.  I’m wondering if anyone knows where the Royal docks in proximity to the Mt Roberts Tram and where would I locate the non tour shuttles to Mendenhall Glacier.  We are in port 8am to 9pm. If I head out around 4pm will I have time to shuttle over to Mendenhall, Nugget Falls, shuttle back and take the tram before heading back to the ship?  That’s 5 hours but I have to add in wait times, walking and delays coming down from Mt Roberts. Are there a lot of trails at the top or is it a stop view, take photos, get back on tram and enjoy the ride?

How long are wait times for shuttles and tram?  Thank you 

If you haven't already done so, it might be worth posting this on the Alaska Board on CC too.

I was in Juneau on Coral in July and it was about a 10 minute walk to the Mt Roberts Tram.  We had planned to do this early afternoon after doing a helicopter glacier flight but the line was really long and I would guess maybe taking at least 30 minutes.  Of course it may be shorter later in the day.  Each berth seems to have its own parking lot where many shuttles called in but I don't know about the Mendenhall Shuttles I am afraid.  Don't forget that whilst the ship is in dock until 9pm, you will need to be back by 8.30!   Friends we made on the ship went up on the Tram Way and said there were a number of walking trails and a nice cafe.

Alaska was stunning - you will have a great time.

Hope that helps in some way.

I have hiked to the top and down on MT Roberts twice

its a moderate hike with only 1 trail. The trail head is at the end of town but I’m sure you can get good information online.

sorry can’t remember how long it took overall. I’m sure it was less than 4 hours walking from the ship.

Edited by wineforhealth