Flip flops in the main dining room

Spiritedcharm

Obsiously not the last ones. Any of the other Sandals with a nice pedicure, and in excellent condition. The ones the OP posted look worn, and wouldn’t be okay IMHO in the main dining. 

I personally think it is the condition of the shoe and the attractiveness of the foot wearing them. There are some pretty nasty feet out there.

However the dressing on Celebrity like all mass market cruises on gone way down. So wear what you want. 

15 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Seriously? No dressy flip flops for men? 

It falls in line with a blouse with no collar, but men cant where a shirt without a collar. No one said life is fair.

Edited by bigbenboys
added words

11 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

There was a post on here a few years ago where the posted photo was a pool flip-flop with a flower glued on it that was a big controversy (much wailing and gnashing of teeth on both sides).  

AAHHH... the good old days of Cruise Critic dress code threads... with all that wailing and gnashing!  Just like the following...

11 hours ago, mom says said:

Those are most definitely flip flops. Sadly, MDR dress standards have declined so much that almost anything is allowed now. Even footwear that used to be restricted to the beach or pool.

10 hours ago, yorky said:

The race to the bottom continues.

9 hours ago, mom says said:

And personally,  I wouldn't wear any of them. Most are gaudy/tacky. The last are casual sport sandals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, teecee60 said:

AAHHH... the good old days of Cruise Critic dress code threads... with all that wailing and gnashing!  Just like the following...

Well, a lady would never wail; that is simply poor manners. And gnashing is quite detrimental to ones dental health. Apparently, when an opinion is requested, only those that are in favor of the "anything goes,  there's no such thing as inappropriate" approach are acceptable now?? Have I got that right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teecee60 said:

Hey it is what it is, a race to the bottom, just the way it’s gone. Do you feel anything is ok swim ware, bare chested ? Surely even you have a standard you won’t drop below ?

Edited by yorky
  • Like 1

As a fairly new reader/poster on CC, could someone please explain why anyone cares what someone else wears to the MDR? I’m not being snarky at all—I am genuinely curious as I’ve seen comments about the “race to the bottom” etc... on many threads.

I like to dress up a bit for dinner because I work from home and rarely get the opportunity to wear “real” clothes. My first cruise was 20 years ago. I love chic night and used to go all out for formal nights on both Crystal and Celebrity.

With that said, I could care less what anyone else wears. My view is that they are on vacation just like me and should have as much fun at dinner (however they define that) as I do. Maybe some people have to dress up every day and relish the opportunity to be more casual while on vacation. Maybe they couldn’t lug around a huge suitcase or two to accommodate the extra shoes and clothing. It’s really none of my business. Or is it? I feel like I am missing something.

Thanks in advance! 🙂 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, catarazzi said:

As a fairly new reader/poster on CC, could someone please explain why anyone cares what someone else wears to the MDR? I’m not being snarky at all—I am genuinely curious as I’ve seen comments about the “race to the bottom” etc... on many threads.

I like to dress up a bit for dinner because I work from home and rarely get the opportunity to wear “real” clothes. My first cruise was 20 years ago. I love chic night and used to go all out for formal nights on both Crystal and Celebrity.

With that said, I could care less what anyone else wears. My view is that they are on vacation just like me and should have as much fun at dinner (however they define that) as I do. Maybe some people have to dress up every day and relish the opportunity to be more casual while on vacation. Maybe they couldn’t lug around a huge suitcase or two to accommodate the extra shoes and clothing. It’s really none of my business. Or is it? I feel like I am missing something.

Thanks in advance! 🙂 

I think if you have read a few threads you will pretty much understand how many people miss how cruising used to be. In truth I think you pretty much have a handle on it already and are maybe stirring the pot slightly 😉. Cruising was always something special where the old tradition of dressing for dinner, where everyone felt that little more special and that tradition was respected and valued was different. It’s now become like any other all inclusive resort where anything goes. There were always ( and still are) those other options if that’s what individuals want. One of the most common used lines is “ why do you care what others are wearing” with respect it completely misses the whole point and for many that did not cruise when dressing up  was the norm I fully understand that lack of understanding. Part of that special evening at sea was the fact “ everyone” made the effort, we were part of the collective to use a phrase from a well known tv show. Women competed for the best outfit and yes even some of us guys and compliments were at times given.So yes I personally feel sad about the race to the bottom while understanding things have changed. Yes it’s up to everyone how they wish to dress and yes you can state it’s none of my business which again is true. But with respect what people can’t do is tell us how we feel about

• Like 5

22 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes if you are a woman!

Thanks Tee;

Hey!  You can't say that!  That's sex discrimination.  And what about those who identify as women even though they aren't?

Nowadays you  can be anything you want to be.

Gotta go?  Use any restroom you choose.

Remember, PC is the new standard.

As to the flip flops:  The prime critieria is that the toenails must be properly pedicured and painted.  Be aware:  The toenail police will be watching for proper compliance.

And thank you LLP for putting women first ahead of other well qualified men.  Good PC and certainly nondiscriminatory since you did it.

How long before this is deleted by the PC police?

And for those who are easily offended by all  this, please review the definition of tongue in cheek humor and don't take everything so seriously.  Have fun instead!

The only people who care about footwear and other haberdashery worn in the MDR are the 2% of the cruising population that follow Cruise Critic. The other 98% are too busy enjoying their vacation to notice and the cruise lines couldn’t care less either way. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

Thanks Tee;

Hey!  You can't say that!  That's sex discrimination.  And what about those who identify as women even though they aren't?

Nowadays you  can be anything you want to be.

Gotta go?  Use any restroom you choose.

Remember, PC is the new standard.

As to the flip flops:  The prime critieria is that the toenails must be properly pedicured and painted.  Be aware:  The toenail police will be watching for proper compliance.

And thank you LLP for putting women first ahead of other well qualified men.  Good PC and certainly nondiscriminatory since you did it.

How long before this is deleted by the PC police?

And for those who are easily offended by all  this, please review the definition of tongue in cheek humor and don't take everything so seriously.  Have fun instead!

LOL.  Sometimes folks here don't get our tongue-in-cheek posts unless you follow them with :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

LOL.  Sometimes folks here don't get our tongue-in-cheek posts unless you follow them with :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Sometimes?  Sometimes?  I would use the term, "often".  It's part of the, "I love to be offended culture".

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The only people who care about footwear and other haberdashery worn in the MDR are the 2% of the cruising population that follow Cruise Critic. The other 98% are too busy enjoying their vacation to notice and the cruise lines couldn’t care less either way. 

Agree that most people are indifferent but most of the cruise lines do have some rules that they try to enforce in the MDR like no shorts for men at dinner.  

Just now, TeeRick said:

Agree that most people are indifferent but most of the cruise lines do have some rules that they try to enforce in the MDR like no shorts for men at dinner.  

I think that the no shorts only applies to Princess, and Celebrity and maybe HAL these days as far as mass market lines go.  I recently completed a cruise on Royal Caribbean and it was very liberating to wear shorts on casual night. Some wore shorts on formal night as well but that was just too rebel for me. I did break out and wore a short sleeve shirt on the second formal night. I was a real daredevil. 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think that the no shorts only applies to Princess, and Celebrity and maybe HAL these days as far as mass market lines go.  I recently completed a cruise on Royal Caribbean and it was very liberating to wear shorts on casual night. Some wore shorts on formal night as well but that was just too rebel for me. I did break out and wore a short sleeve shirt on the second formal night. I was a real daredevil. 😂 

Mike you are a real rebel!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think to say the cruise lines don’t care is starting to be a fair comment with many, not all though. The first part is simply not true, i’ve heard many people comment on the drop in dress standards on various lines and i’m pretty sure they are not 100% on cruise critic. You can actually have an opinion and still enjoy your vacation, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by yorky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, catarazzi said:

Thanks in advance! 🙂 

It is no ones business and it does't matter as long as the staff at the entrance to the MDR is cool with what someone is wearing that's all that matters. 

20 hours ago, mom says said:

Sadly, MDR dress standards have declined so much that almost anything is allowed now. Even footwear that used to be restricted to the beach or pool.

It may be sad to you, but many are very happy that one can now go on a cruise vacation without worrying about dressing to the nines.  Times change. 

18 hours ago, amyr said:

Those look like Vionics to me, and they are a legit orthopedic shoe.  They're not cheap, but if you've ever had plantar fasciitis or you'd know they're worth every penny, and you'd have at least five pairs in your closet.  Lifesavers they are. 

Yes indeed, I have 4 or 5 pair of Vionic shoes/sandals and they are worth every penny for my orthopedic foot issues.

16 hours ago, mom says said:

Sorry, but you are still incorrect. Only the first picture are flip flops.

You are arguing semantics, especially if you are making a distinction between the first and second picture.  You have essentially decided on your own definition of "flip flop" and that's fine, but it doesn't mean your very exact definition is "right" and another is "wrong."  Even standard dictionaries define a flip flop as being made of plastic or rubber, so by that definition even the first picture above is a sandal, not a flip flop. 

1 hour ago, yorky said:

I think if you have read a few threads you will pretty much understand how many people miss how cruising used to be.

And many people are relieved that cruising isn't what it used to be. People used to be fine with dressing up more at dinner, but people are used to be fine with dressing up more for many things that they don't dress up for now because times change.  Pretty much everything is more casual now because that's how people like to live. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, yorky said:

I think to say the cruise lines don’t care is starting to be a fair comment with many, not all though. The first part is simply not true, i’ve heard many people comment on the drop in dress standards on various lines and i’m pretty sure they are not 100% on cruise critic. You can actually have an opinion and still enjoy your vacation, the two are not mutually exclusive.

As of today I now have three topics I will not engage in while on a cruise. Religion, politics and the cruise lines suggested dress guidelines for the MDR.👎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

It may be sad to you, but many are very happy that one can now go on a cruise vacation without worrying about dressing to the nines.  Times change. 

Yes indeed, I have 4 or 5 pair of Vionic shoes/sandals and they are worth every penny for my orthopedic foot issues.

You are arguing semantics, especially if you are making a distinction between the first and second picture.  You have essentially decided on your own definition of "flip flop" and that's fine, but it doesn't mean your very exact definition is "right" and another is "wrong."  Even standard dictionaries define a flip flop as being made of plastic or rubber, so by that definition even the first picture above is a sandal, not a flip flop. 

And many people are relieved that cruising isn't what it used to be. People used to be fine with dressing up more at dinner, but people are used to be fine with dressing up more for many things that they don't dress up for now because times change.  Pretty much everything is more casual now because that's how people like to live. 

I’m fully aware of that, question is how low do standards drop, do we get to the point of swimwear in the main dining room at night ? I guess people will say that’s up to the cruise lines.

1 hour ago, yorky said:

In truth I think you pretty much have a handle on it already and are maybe stirring the pot slightly 😉

I guess that may be a bit true, @yorky. 😉Thank you for replying. I do miss seeing everyone all dressed up—especially the men in tuxes. 🙂  I’d love to see my hubby in a tux, but I’ll settle for his semi dressy jacket as I don’t get to see him in that very often, either. The people watching—the clothing, hair, and jewelry—was an event in itself. Not so much anymore... With that said, we’re all there to do our own thing. I wouldn’t want anyone to feel badly if they choose not to participate. 

20 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Seriously, just like no "dressy" tank tops lol... a woman can wear a spaghetti strap top and look appropriate in the MDR because it is the same as the top of an evening gown or cocktail dress. Not so for dudes, sorry!

image.png.8f8d03e79278932a4222cf0636d8067f.png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, yorky said:

I’m fully aware of that, question is how low do standards drop, do we get to the point of swimwear in the main dining room at night ? I guess people will say that’s up to the cruise lines.

I think the difference is that while you see it as standards dropping, I see it simply as times changing and with it, the definition of what is appropriate dress in a particular venue.  Just because things change, it doesn't necessarily mean it's worse if it's what society has determined is the "standard" level of dress, although any change will typically be seen as negative by some who are simply used to the status quo.  As a completely different example,  there was a time when girls were only allowed to wear dresses to school, but I'm very glad that standard changed.  I doubt there are many who are horrified by girls wearing pants to school, but I'm sure every time a school district made that change there were plenty who were outraged.

Back to the topic at hand, I suspect you are being facetious when you mention swimwear in the dining room, but honestly, if it gets to that point, it would be because general standards have continued to relax to the point that many would be fine with that.  But I don't think that particular thing will happen any time soon, if ever, so let's put that in the category of cross that bridge when we come to it.  Today is all that really matters and today, many are very happy that the dress standards for cruising have relaxed to current levels.  :)

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

I think the difference is that while you see it as standards dropping, I see it simply as times changing and with it, the definition of what is appropriate dress in a particular venue.  Just because things change, it doesn't necessarily mean it's worse if it's what society has determined is the "standard" level of dress, although any change will typically be seen as negative by some who are simply used to the status quo.  As a completely different example,  there was a time when girls were only allowed to wear dresses to school, but I'm very glad that standard changed.  I doubt there are many who are horrified by girls wearing pants to school, but I'm sure every time a school district made that change there were plenty who were outraged.

Back to the topic at hand, I suspect you are being facetious when you mention swimwear in the dining room, but honestly, if it gets to that point, it would be because general standards have continued to relax to the point that many would be fine with that.  But I don't think that particular thing will happen any time soon, if ever, so let's put that in the category of cross that bridge when we come to it.  Today is all that really matters and today, many are very happy that the dress standards for cruising have relaxed to current levels.  🙂

Only slightly in truth, plenty of examples of attempted swimwear in MDR’s. If that becomes the norm i’m out.