Flip flops in the main dining room

Spiritedcharm

I only object to people pushing the published rules in an effort to do what they want knowing that the staff will either be reticent to stop them or just too busy to catch them.  Bonus points when they're really put-out and argumentative when an employee tries to enforce the rules.  How hard is it to read the dress code and determine that what you might want to wear doesn't fit in with what they request you to wear?  Do I let it ruin my own experience?  No.  But, it is being really rude to the staff who are tasked with policing it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mom says said:

Well, a lady would never wail; that is simply poor manners. And gnashing is quite detrimental to ones dental health. 

7 hours ago, yorky said:

Do you feel anything is ok swim ware, bare chested? Surely even you have a standard you won’t drop below?

THIS should be the absolute minimum standard for ANY who consider themselves well mannered.

4 hours ago, catarazzi said:

As a fairly new reader/poster on CC, could someone please explain why anyone cares what someone else wears to the MDR?  I could care less what anyone else wears. It’s really none of my business. Or is it?  

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

It may be sad to you, but many are very happy that one can now go on a cruise vacation without worrying about dressing to the nines.  And many people are relieved that cruising isn't what it used to be. Pretty much everything is more casual now because that's how people like to live. 

It's quite obvious that you two would never have made it to dinner with Cal, Ismay, mom and yorky!

Edited by teecee60
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, teecee60 said:

It's quite obvious that you two would never have made it to dinner with Cal, Ismay, mom and yorky!

They could attend the meal, but would be sitting at the riff raff table.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I only object to people pushing the published rules in an effort to do what they want knowing that the staff will either be reticent to stop them or just too busy to catch them.  Bonus points when they're really put-out and argumentative when an employee tries to enforce the rules.  How hard is it to read the dress code and determine that what you might want to wear doesn't fit in with what they request you to wear?  Do I let it ruin my own experience?  No.  But, it is being really rude to the staff who are tasked with policing it.

Today it's the 'Me Generation'.  There is no kindness, courtesy, or respect for others or any rules.  Everyone is entitled.  And because of this, no rules are applicable.  What a twisted society we are becoming!

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, teecee60 said:

EXACTLY where THEY and their ilk belong!

Perhaps they could divide the MDR in two.  Those who wish to comply with the dress code sit on one side in civilized company and those who prefer riff raff, Bubba Class, or Bilge class behavior and attire on the other.  Everybody is happy and no one needs to infringe on the other.  No judgement.  Just choose.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, teecee60 said:

Hey now—I said I do dress up. So I expect to receive my invite for the chichi table, as well as the riff raff table!! I am an equal opportunity diner... 😉

52 minutes ago, teecee60 said:

Hey personally I think how you chose to dress has nothing to do with the quality of the individual, but your views are your views.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

Perhaps they could divide the MDR in two.  Those who wish to comply with the dress code sit on one side in civilized company and those who prefer riff raff, Bubba Class, or Bilge class behavior and attire on the other.  Everybody is happy and no one needs to infringe on the other.  No judgement.  Just choose.

I have found over the years that sitting with what you call "civilized company" can be very dull...because it includes many stuffy, pompous folks....that includes those who immediately tell you what level suite they are in; expound on expensive wines they may or may not have in their wine cellar, and an many cheap rental tuxedos and fake diamonds and jewels.

I often find that dressing comfortably and hanging out with what you label the riff raff, bilge class is far more interesting....more real people not putting on airs.

Moral: you should be very careful labeling someone else, lest they label you....think about it.

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 12

Wow! I have gone away from this thread for a couple of days and was surprised to see that once again, a simple, respectful question by a poster has descended once again to social commentary. OP asked a question because she was mindful of fitting into published rules and wanted to be sure her choices were within the parameters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

I guess I know what side I would have to sit in.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

I have found over the years that sitting with what you call "civilized company" can be very dull...because it includes many stuffy, pompous folks....that includes those who immediately tell you what level suite they are in; expound on expensive wines they may or may not have in their wine cellar, and an many cheap rental tuxedos and fake diamonds and jewels.

I often find that dressing comfortably and hanging out with what you label the riff raff, bilge class is far more interesting....more real people not putting on airs.

Moral: you should be very careful labeling someone else, lest they label you....think about it.

I fully agree you should never label anyone, we are all different individuals regardless. I don’t actually believe there is any correlation between how we dress and the individuals perceived class, you have actually been guilty of labelling in your own post. I’m in shorts and a tee shirt right now as i’m In England on holiday, i’m going out for a meal later and will change into something appropriate for the setting, does that mean i’ve gone from a real person to dull, i’m still the same person. Don’t agree that sitting with someone dressed a certain way makes for a dull night, you can’t generalise like that, it’s inverted snobbery. I’ve sat at tables with people dressed in many different ways and found dull, and interesting individuals. The two most interesting people I have ever met on a cruise were a Canadian joiner in chinos and a short sleeve shirt, and a gentleman that worked for the UN dressed to the nines. 

Edited by yorky
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, yorky said:

I think if you have read a few threads you will pretty much understand how many people miss how cruising used to be. In truth I think you pretty much have a handle on it already and are maybe stirring the pot slightly 😉. Cruising was always something special where the old tradition of dressing for dinner, where everyone felt that little more special and that tradition was respected and valued was different. It’s now become like any other all inclusive resort where anything goes. There were always ( and still are) those other options if that’s what individuals want. One of the most common used lines is “ why do you care what others are wearing” with respect it completely misses the whole point and for many that did not cruise when dressing up  was the norm I fully understand that lack of understanding. Part of that special evening at sea was the fact “ everyone” made the effort, we were part of the collective to use a phrase from a well known tv show. Women competed for the best outfit and yes even some of us guys and compliments were at times given.So yes I personally feel sad about the race to the bottom while understanding things have changed. Yes it’s up to everyone how they wish to dress and yes you can state it’s none of my business which again is true. But with respect what people can’t do is tell us how we feel about

Society in general has been a race to the bottom now for over 20 years. 

As far as cruises and dress codes go, the blame has to go the lines for not enforcing the dress code but the old story is we don't want to offend anyone. Well, I'm offended when I sit down to a nice dinner and watch some people dressed like pigs walking by my table.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Wow! I have gone away from this thread for a couple of days and was surprised to see that once again, a simple, respectful question by a poster has descended once again to social commentary. OP asked a question because she was mindful of fitting into published rules and wanted to be sure her choices were within the parameters.

We believe Celebrity's suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening is very clear and concise. Why some here on CC want to interrupt it to fit their idea of what it should be and pass their personal interruption along is mind boggling. 😵

• Like 3

1 hour ago, catarazzi said:

Hey now—I said I do dress up. So I expect to receive my invite for the chichi table, as well as the riff raff table!! I am an equal opportunity diner... 😉

Based on some other comments here it sounds like you might be an equal opportunity OFFENDER!

39 minutes ago, yorky said:

It’s inverted snobbery.  

*O*M*G*  anything but THAT!

1 minute ago, MISTER 67 said:

Well, I'm offended when I sit down to a nice dinner and watch some people dressed like pigs walking by my table.

Give my regards to Cal next time you dine with him.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Choose the Ocean View Cafe for more casual clothing and shoes.

From two different dictionaries:

Flip Flop

a flat, backless rubber sandal, usually secured on the foot by a thong between the first two toes, as for use at a beach, swimming pool, etc.

a type of loose rubber sandal. chiefly US, informal

Notice that "rubber" is indicated in both descriptions. 

I wear thong type shoes in the MDR, Blu, and Luminae.  They work better on my feet, and I don't wear heals higher than 3/4".  My shoes are dressy, sometimes sparkly, and only one pair has  a strap behind the heel.  None are made of rubber.  I don't even wear the rubber flip flops to the pool.  I wear them around and outside of my home, however.  I have occasionally taken a pair to wear up to the OVC in the mornings.

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ghstudio said:

We avoid all that by requesting a table for 2.

BTW, dressing up for dinner is not putting on airs, my guess is you and I are from different generations, I'm a boomer who grew up in the 50s and remember when gentleman went to ballgames in suits and dress hats and ladies wore dresses, heels and gloves when leaving home. I don't ever remember my mother dressing any other way, we went to the 1959 World Series with my uncle at Comiskey Park and my uncle wore a grey shark skin suit and mother a beautiful dress and high heels, different day and age and to tell you the truth I miss it so very much.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ghstudio said:

Morals:  Yes I have perhaps been remiss here and I have thought about it.  And I do appreciate the labels YOU used as examples such as: stuffy, pompous, folks and real folks.

Reminds me of a quote on the side of my elementary school:  Who dares to teach, must never cease to learn.

Again, thank you so much for your moral lesson.

Table for two please!

Edited by 1980dory
added info.

Interesting that the clips from Titanic are posted.... most of us if sailing during those bygone times would be steerage where there were no dress codes, so those who seem to be experiencing Golden Age Syndrome (see "Midnight in Paris" for a fuller description of what that means) may want to read up on the history of those times during the age of the ocean liners.

That being said, as a frequent Cunard voyager I like keeping a level of formality in the dining room, but  I certainly don't criticize those who come here asking if something is or isn't appropriate.  Those who are sticklers for formality should welcome these questions.... you can't complain about what people wear in the dining room while chastising those who seek guidance.  How do you bemoan ignorance if you are unwilling to educate?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, yorky said:

I think if you have read a few threads you will pretty much understand how many people miss how cruising used to be. In truth I think you pretty much have a handle on it already and are maybe stirring the pot slightly 😉. Cruising was always something special where the old tradition of dressing for dinner, where everyone felt that little more special and that tradition was respected and valued was different. It’s now become like any other all inclusive resort where anything goes. There were always ( and still are) those other options if that’s what individuals want. One of the most common used lines is “ why do you care what others are wearing” with respect it completely misses the whole point and for many that did not cruise when dressing up  was the norm I fully understand that lack of understanding. Part of that special evening at sea was the fact “ everyone” made the effort, we were part of the collective to use a phrase from a well known tv show. Women competed for the best outfit and yes even some of us guys and compliments were at times given.So yes I personally feel sad about the race to the bottom while understanding things have changed. Yes it’s up to everyone how they wish to dress and yes you can state it’s none of my business which again is true. But with respect what people can’t do is tell us how we feel about

You have stated this very nicely, with no snark involved.  Congrats!  I completely agree with you.  Cruising used to be so much more 'special' than it is now.  Now the cruise ships are throwing tradition to the wind and trying to appeal to a whole different crowd.  And many people just don't care.  They don't seem to understand the difference between what they can do versus what they should do.  I am one of those old-fashioned people who believe you should follow the rules and guidelines of the choices you make. If you don't agree with the Celebrity guidelines/rules - no problem, choose another cruise line.  There are many.  Just because you can get away with something doesn't mean you should.  I miss the good old days of having that lovely ambiance in the dining rooms on what was then Formal Night.  It felt really special.  Now it feels like just another trip to a local mid-priced restaurant - nice but not as special.   I guess you had to be there to know it.   I know many don't agree with me - but I have a right to my opinion as well.

• Like 2

Now it feels like just another trip to a local mid-priced restaurant - nice but not as special.   I guess you had to be there to know it.   I know many don't agree with me - but I have a right to my opinion as well.

You hit the nail on the head. However you have to realize that 30 yrs ago the largest ship was about 1500-2200 passengers, you didn't have buffets, specialty dining or my time dining and there wasn't as much in the way of entertainment. Everything was regimented and easy to go along with as the entire ship was dressed for the entire evening. Now you have ships with 6000 passenger capacity and a city of venues to choose from. There is no possible way to create that same ambiance in today's age or prepare the same quality of food. The formal night meals have also turned in to a mid-priced menu.  

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

Are people seriously that concerned about the footwear of other passengers?

I couldn't tell you what kind of shoes anyone on my last cruise wore to dinner.

They all had their feet under the table.

I can barely remember which shoes I wore myself.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Today it's the 'Me Generation'.  There is no kindness, courtesy, or respect for others or any rules.  Everyone is entitled.  And because of this, no rules are applicable.  What a twisted society we are becoming!

I have not found this to be true. In my mid 40s and nowadays the younger generation will hold the door for and almost always thank me when I hold the door for them. What I have noticed is that the greatest generation as many call them don’t often thank me anymore when I hold a door for them. 

Our Edge cruise had the highest average cruiser age on any of our cruises and the rudeness and entitlement was higher than any cruise we have been on. It wasn’t a majority but was very noticeable. 

As for the dress code, the only time I wasn’t 100 percent on it was on Disney when I ditched the jacket on formal night because I always took it off before I sat down anyways, but still wore a tie. 

Nowadays the dress code is easy to follow and I am glad it is less formal. I hate dressing up in anything more than khaki pants and a collared shirt. I did get into an argument with my wife for wearing shorts to supper on RCCL, I was not a happy camper. It’s alright for others to dress that way, but she is different;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

I remember the good old days. Having to travel with my LV steam trunks. Having to get a cabin for my valet. I was so happy that I did not have to bring my white wigs and power.

I believe you need a history refresher course. Wigs and powder were not in fashion during the period shown in your photos (appears to be sometime in the 1880s).  Likewise, cruise ships did not exist during the period depicted.  At best, it would have been a stream ship, an ocean liner intended as a means of transportation rather than for vacation purposes.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1