Flip flops in the main dining room

Spiritedcharm

3 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

Our Edge cruise had the highest average cruiser age on any of our cruises and the rudeness and entitlement was higher than any cruise we have been on. 

As is completely evidenced by this thread.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mom says said:

I believe you need a history refresher course. Wigs and powder were not in fashion during the period shown in your photos (appears to be sometime in the 1880s).  Likewise, cruise ships did not exist during the period depicted.  At best, it would have been a stream ship, an ocean liner intended as a means of transportation rather than for vacation purposes.

Yes I know that the white wigs and power were from the 18th century. I was implying that fashion changes over time. 

• Like 1

Wow, what a lot of judgemental people!  I think the shoes in the original photo are lovely for dinner in the MDR.  I am sure I've worn similar on many cruises when the weather has been hot and I've been dressed very appropriately above the shoe line.  I am of the 'older' generation and am happy to change with the times.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

I have not found this to be true. In my mid 40s and nowadays the younger generation will hold the door for and almost always thank me when I hold the door for them. What I have noticed is that the greatest generation as many call them don’t often thank me anymore when I hold a door for them. 

Our Edge cruise had the highest average cruiser age on any of our cruises and the rudeness and entitlement was higher than any cruise we have been on. It wasn’t a majority but was very noticeable. 

As for the dress code, the only time I wasn’t 100 percent on it was on Disney when I ditched the jacket on formal night because I always took it off before I sat down anyways, but still wore a tie. 

Nowadays the dress code is easy to follow and I am glad it is less formal. I hate dressing up in anything more than khaki pants and a collared shirt. I did get into an argument with my wife for wearing shorts to supper on RCCL, I was not a happy camper. It’s alright for others to dress that way, but she is different;)

I have to say i’m not a big fan of generalisation, the same way that dressing down does not automatically make you a “real person” and dressing up a “Dull snob” I don’t believe being older makes you rude or young a wonderful person. I’’m in my 50s and my wife in her 40s, am I at the rude stage yet, my wife still classed as young and ok ? As I posted earlier I don’t change as a person when I go from shorts to dressing to the nines, my personality is my personality regardless of my age or what I dress like. I’ve met rude people that are young, and very old, i’ve met old people who are horrible individuals and the same with one or two young individuals.

I don’t believe wanting to retain a cruising tradition makes you a horrible person, rude, dull, entitled, someone who flaunts their wealth, brags about the cabin they are in, I would hope we are none of these things. We are certainly not wealthy, work six days a week, I run a project for adults with disabilities and like to think I care about people less fortunate than myself. Someone on an earlier post said you should not label people, if i’m been honest the last few posts have seen quite a bit of labelling, maybe at times in jest of course but I believe you need to meet the individual before making a judgement on them.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, yorky said:

I have to say i’m not a big fan of generalisation, the same way that dressing down does not automatically make you a “real person” and dressing up a “Dull snob” I don’t believe being older makes you rude or young a wonderful person. I’’m in my 50s and my wife in her 40s, am I at the rude stage yet, my wife still classed as young and ok ? As I posted earlier I don’t change as a person when I go from shorts to dressing to the nines, my personality is my personality regardless of my age or what I dress like. I’ve met some lovely people that are young, along with some who are very old, i’ve met old people who are horrible individuals and the same with one or two young individuals.

I don’t believe wanting to retain a cruising tradition makes you a horrible person, rude, dull, entitled, someone who flaunts their wealth, brags about the cabin they are in, I would hope we are none of these things. We are certainly not wealthy, work six days a week, I run a project for adults with disabilities and like to think I care about people less fortunate than myself. Someone on an earlier post said you should not label people, if i’m been honest the last few posts have seen quite a bit of labelling, maybe at times in jest of course but I believe you need to meet the individual before making a judgement on them.   

Sorry needed to change a mistake made in the post and the forum won’t let you edit.

Personally, I don't care if a person is wearing a $2.00 pair of flip flops from Walmart. It doesn't have any effect on my cruise, and I don't make a habit of what kind of shoes people wear. I'm 77 years old if hat makes a difference, and I started cruising when there were "formal" nights. Times change, and I accept them.

• Like 8

This reply from LLP confirms the cruise lines policy.  The Morgans, Vanderbilts and Carnegies are still welcome to wear their top hats and  tiaras 

Hello everyone! 

Guests have given wonderful feedback about Evening Chic nights, as we want them to enjoy dressing up while not feeling "stuffy." This is our modern luxury twist on formal nights and of course, if you'd like to dress more formally, you are welcome to do so! 

Have a great day, thank you for your question.  

• Like 1

The bottom line is that these shoes are flip-flops.  Period. And just like shorts , ball caps or other items that are prohibited by Celebrities rules, anyone that wears them puts the crew in a bad spot.  They are forcing the crew to make decision if it worth the risk to confront a guest to enforce the rules.  Really not a good way to treat the crew.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The bottom line is that these shoes are flip-flops.  Period. And just like shorts , ball caps or other items that are prohibited by Celebrities rules, anyone that wears them puts the crew in a bad spot.  They are forcing the crew to make decision if it worth the risk to confront a guest to enforce the rules.  Really not a good way to treat the crew.

Those shoes are most definitely NOT flip flops, they are sandals. Living here in Florida, those are very acceptable in all manner of restaurants. Perhaps not so in Michigan

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

Those shoes are most definitely NOT flip flops, they are sandals. Living here in Florida, those are very acceptable in all manner of restaurants. Perhaps not so in Michigan

If anything, the fact that there is disagreement within the thread means it wasn’t an unreasonable question, though the op is probably sorry she asked.

Obviously its it’s a matter of interpretation. I guess if you define flip flops as anything with a toe thong, then they’re flip flops.  Personally I think there is more to it than that. 

23 minutes ago, kerryincork said:

The shoes in original photo are sandals not flip-flops.

Just because they have a toe thing does not make them flip-flops.

Flip-flops are plastic/rubber shoes that are worn in shower/pool/beach.

Per the experts 

Description

Flip-flops are a type of sandal, typically worn as a form of casual wear. They consist of a flat sole held loosely on the foot by a Y-shaped strap known as a toe thong that passes between the first and second toes and around both sides of the foot or can be a hard base with a strap across all the toes. Wikipedia

Honestly, wearing those cheesy  plastic flip flops are not only bad for your feet (son is a foot doctor) but cause trip and falls.  We were on a cruise a few years ago, and my husband was wearing fancy designer flip flops and tripped in the hallway and fell on me!  As a result, I broke my foot and hurt my shoulder.  Kids should also not wear them.

Never wear those without backs and an arch.  Be safe , stylish and comfortable.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, alwaysonaship said:

Per the experts 

Description

Flip-flops are a type of sandal, typically worn as a form of casual wear. They consist of a flat sole held loosely on the foot by a Y-shaped strap known as a toe thong that passes between the first and second toes and around both sides of the foot or can be a hard base with a strap across all the toes. Wikipedia

And from an actual dictionary, not Wikipedia.

: a rubber sandal loosely fastened to the foot by a thong

flip-flop, from Merriam-Webster.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mom says said:

I believe you need a history refresher course. Wigs and powder were not in fashion during the period shown in your photos (appears to be sometime in the 1880s).  Likewise, cruise ships did not exist during the period depicted.  At best, it would have been a stream ship, an ocean liner intended as a means of transportation rather than for vacation purposes.

I wasn’t going to comment on this thread, due to all the insufferable snobbery, but I just have to ask this. Are you just teasing with this response, or do you really take everything so seriously that you felt the need to educate someone on what was quite clearly a joke? I’m kind of hoping it’s the latter, for sheer entertainment purposes. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, yorky said:

I have to say i’m not a big fan of generalisation, the same way that dressing down does not automatically make you a “real person” and dressing up a “Dull snob” I don’t believe being older makes you rude or young a wonderful person. I’’m in my 50s and my wife in her 40s, am I at the rude stage yet, my wife still classed as young and ok ? As I posted earlier I don’t change as a person when I go from shorts to dressing to the nines, my personality is my personality regardless of my age or what I dress like. I’ve met rude people that are young, and very old, i’ve met old people who are horrible individuals and the same with one or two young individuals.

This was responding to the poster(s) labeling the younger generation as ruining everything and dragging society down. On CC in general there have been some pretty awful things said about that generation and people that don’t want to dress formally. 

What I posted has been my honest observations from cruises and trips out around town, do they fit the whole of the world, maybe or maybe not. They are what I have personally encountered. 

Our best table mates have been couples older than us. They seem to have tons of great stories and we always have a grand time. 

All I stated was my observations in life and defended the younger generation. I didn’t make generalizations either, just my experiences. Also check the post I replied to, might explain the firmer tone I used. Also in my Edge review towards the end I even commented on this.

2 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

This was responding to the poster(s) labeling the younger generation as ruining everything and dragging society down. On CC in general there have been some pretty awful things said about that generation and people that don’t want to dress formally. 

What I posted has been my honest observations from cruises and trips out around town, do they fit the whole of the world, maybe or maybe not. They are what I have personally encountered. 

Our best table mates have been couples older than us. They seem to have tons of great stories and we always have a grand time. 

All I stated was my observations in life and defended the younger generation. I didn’t make generalizations either, just my experiences. Also check the post I replied to, might explain the firmer tone I used. Also in my Edge review towards the end I even commented on this.

I guess the minute dress code was mentioned it was always going to revert to type and the insults would fly from both sides of the argument ( some of it pretty sad in my view). We simply miss the tradition of dressing up and that it, we don’t judge other people based on how they dress. We have loved listening to stories from older table mates over the years, the retired guy who had worked for the UN was fascinating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SashaC said:

I wasn’t going to comment on this thread, due to all the insufferable snobbery, but I just have to ask this. Are you just teasing with this response, or do you really take everything so seriously that you felt the need to educate someone on what was quite clearly a joke? I’m kind of hoping it’s the latter, for sheer entertainment purposes. 

Well of course I knew the poster was being tongue in cheek. And so was my response. Next time I'll make sure to add sufficient. 😉😉😉😉😉 to erase any doubt. 🙄

6 minutes ago, mom says said:

Well of course I knew the poster was being tongue in cheek. And so was my response. Next time I'll make sure to add sufficient. 😉😉😉😉😉 to erase any doubt. 🙄

Sure it was... 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kerryincork said:

The shoes in original photo are sandals not flip-flops.

Just because they have a toe thing does not make them flip-flops.

Flip-flops are plastic/rubber shoes that are worn in shower/pool/beach.

To me, if they make the flip flop sound, they are flip flops.

flip-flop
/ˈflip fläp/

verb
  1. 1.
    move with a flapping sound or motion.
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

Per the experts 

Description

You do realize that Wikipedia is written--and changed and edited by--folks like you and me.

In no way shape or form should Wikipedia be cited as "by experts,"

• Like 1