Flip flops in the main dining room

Spiritedcharm

7 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

You do realize that Wikipedia is written--and changed and edited by--folks like you and me.

In no way shape or form should Wikipedia be cited as "by experts,"

Is this better?

Definition of 'flip-flop'

Word Frequency

flip-flop

Word forms: flip-flopsflip-floppingflip-flopped
1. plural noun
Flip-flops are open shoes which are held on your feet by a strap that goes between your toes.

2. intransitive verb
If you say that someone, especially a politician, flip-flops on a decision, you are critical of them because they change their decision, so that they do or think the opposite.
[mainly USinformaldisapproval]
He has been criticized for flip-flopping on several key issues.
He seemed so sure of his decision, how could he flip-flop so dramatically now?
3. footwear

33 minutes ago, nona0541 said:

Seems mom says is a shoe snob.  Some of us cannot wear closed in shoes for reasons and therefore we wear very attractive sandal/flip flops.  What ever she wants to call them.  

Because I prefer the correct usage of a word, and differentiation between  flip flop and sandal,  I'm therefore a shoe snob? And where have I said no one should ever wear sandals? All I've said is that there is a difference between the 2, so a sandal is more appropriate for the MDR, given the current dress code.  So how about you stop calling people names?  By the way, however do you manage in cold weather? Isn't frostbite a concern since you can't wear a closed shoe? Or do you just add layers of socks with your sandals?

Edited by mom says

5 hours ago, SashaC said:

I wasn’t going to comment on this thread, due to all the insufferable snobbery, but I just have to ask this. Are you just teasing with this response, or do you really take everything so seriously that you felt the need to educate someone on what was quite clearly a joke? I’m kind of hoping it’s the latter, for sheer entertainment purposes. 

At least 1 person understood my post was a joke. Thanks

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mom says said:

Because I prefer the correct usage of a word, and differentiation between  flip flop and sandal,  I'm therefore a shoe snob? And where have I said no one should ever wear sandals? All I've said is that there is a difference between the 2, so a sandal is more appropriate for the MDR, given the current dress code.  So how about you stop calling people names?  By the way, however do you manage in cold weather? Isn't frostbite a concern since you can't wear a closed shoe? Or do you just add layers of socks with your sandals?

While I did do well in history. I have had problems with spelling and punctuation and word usage for years. It started in 3 grade when I stopped reading. My mother talked to the teacher, the teacher said are you telling me how to teach my student. By 5th grade I was at a different school. They sent me back to 3rd grade for reading to learn words in color. Well that did not help. By 7th I was in Special Ed until I finished high school. I even took a coarse on sentence structure to help. I'm now 60 and retired. Spelling and punctuation and word usage was not needed for my career. As we enjoy cruising. I use this site as a way to improve writing.

1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

To me, if they make the flip flop sound, they are flip flops.

flip-flop
/ˈflip fläp/

verb
  1. 1.
    move with a flapping sound or motion.

Agree,  sandals which have straps do not make the flip flop sound.

Edited by MISTER 67

1 hour ago, bigbenboys said:

At least 1 person understood my post was a joke. Thanks

It was pretty obvious (and funny), IMO. Some people take things WAY too seriously here, to point of embarrassing themselves with their haughtiness. 

Edited by SashaC
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, citronella said:

Four pages on flip flops. 

’nuff said. 

Well, there is a big dispute whether this thread is about flip-flops or sandals, even though flip-flops are a subset of sandals.

They should just make the dress code say, "Everyone should dress nicely for dinner" so that we could all keep busy here on CC for all those forlorn weeks, months, or years between cruises. 

And I want real arguing based on objective subjectivity, with better sources than Wiki or dictionaries. Where are the Ph.D.'s? The anthropologists who can demonstrate the dangers on one hand of dressing down, or on the other of compelling dressing up?  

On a more serious note, incidentally, we need to remember that in certain cultures crowds throw shoes at people they are trying to insult, especially, I believe, in some middle Eastern countries.  So, consider, if there is an argument in the MDR, would you want to be hit by a rubber-soled thong, or a full-heeled wedge sandal? Which would you rather throw? Then be shod appropriately. 

Edited by mayleeman

1 hour ago, mom says said:

You do realize that not everyone lives in Canada, correct? Note that nona0541 lives in Las Vegas. She has about as much need for shoes that protect her from frostbite as I have here in Florida.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, SashaC said:

You do realize that not everyone lives in Canada, correct? Note that nona0541 lives in Las Vegas. She has about as much need for shoes that protect her from frostbite as I have here in Florida.

Winters in Vegas can be frosty with some snow, average high in Dec. and Jan is 54 degrees with average lows at 34 degrees. Florida is much warmer in winter but we have frost delays  once in awhile on the golf course I live on.

Edited by MISTER 67

11 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Winters in Vegas can be frosty with some snow, average high in Dec. and Jan is 54 degrees with average lows at 34 degrees. Florida is much warmer in winter but we have frost delays  once in awhile on the golf course I live on.

We hit the 30’s and can get a bit of frost in Central Florida as well, though that usually only happens a few days during the winter. But you’ll still see people in open toed shoes all the time, myself included. You know someone is a true Floridian when they are bundled up from toe to ankle, yet still wearing flip flops (or sandals-don’t want to get into that again!). 

Edit: Just saw you’re from Sebring. Thought you were in Vegas. 🙂

Edited by SashaC

A basic truism about dress code threads of any stripe:

You are called a snob if you tell me that I can't wear whatever I want- it's MY vacation, after all!

You are called a slob if you don't wear what I want you to wear, as it runs the ambiance for me, and it's my vacation, afterall. 

Two sides of the same coin (or, in this case, shoe).

(But I can never get enough of 'em.  Very entertaining.  I love the twists and turns of folks' justifications. Like a crime thriller with fashion police and fashion victims. .  I'm going to write a book someday! 😁 )

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Blazerboy said:

You are called a snob if you tell me that I can't wear whatever I want- it's MY vacation, after all!

You are called a slob if you don't wear what I want you to wear, as it runs the ambiance for me, and it's my vacation, afterall. 

(But I can never get enough of 'em.  Very entertaining.  I love the twists and turns of folks' justifications. Like a crime thriller with fashion police and fashion victims. .  I'm going to write a book someday! 😁 )

For the life of me I have never figured out how people allow others to influence how much they enjoy their cruise experience. If there is outrageous behavior near us, I just focus on my family that I am with instead of that behavior. It may of course end up in my trip report lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Blazerboy said:

Is it truly two sides of the same coin though, as far as being equivalent?

In my experience the “slobs” are happily enjoying their vacation, minding their own business and being comfortable in what they choose to wear while not judging the choices of others. It’s the “snobs” that tend to become apoplectic and constantly on the verge of a breakdown, because others dare not conform to their standards. They ruin their own good time by becoming angry at things that are none of their business and don’t actually affect them.

I actually feel sorry for the “snobs” and how miserable it must be to live like that, but there’s definitely a sense of amusement for me as well, which draws me to these posts, lol. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Having lived just outside of Lake Placid, NY for 25 years before moving a bit farther south I find this funny and see how things are relative..... when I lived there there would be a few weeks every winter where the temp would be 25 below for several days on end.  The snow covers your yard from November to April.  Yet there is little need for regular shoes, maybe a week or so.... you go from boots to sandals in May. Then from sandals back to boots in October.

1 hour ago, SashaC said:

In my experience the “slobs” are happily enjoying their vacation, minding their own business and being comfortable in what they choose to wear while not judging the choices of others. It’s the “snobs” that tend to become apoplectic and constantly on the verge of a breakdown, because others dare not conform to their standards. They ruin their own good time by becoming angry at things that are none of their business and don’t actually affect them.

I actually feel sorry for the “snobs” and how miserable it must be to live like that, but there’s definitely a sense of amusement for me as well, which draws me to these posts, lol. 

Meh.  I've seen each side get riled up.  And be rude, cruel and obnoxious.  Yep.  The reasonable voices on either side (or those in the middle) tend to get drowned out.  And, of course, everyone thinks THEY are one of the reasonable ones...😁

2 hours ago, mayleeman said:

On a more serious note, incidentally, we need to remember that in certain cultures crowds throw shoes at people they are trying to insult, especially, I believe, in some middle Eastern countries.  So, consider, if there is an argument in the MDR, would you want to be hit by a rubber-soled thong, or a full-heeled wedge sandal? Which would you rather throw? Then be shod appropriately. 

I have been to Dubai a number of times. One evening I went into the hotel bar. I had my flip flops on. I was told that I had to change my shoes before entering. Others at the bar were wearing tradition Middle Eastern saddles. I just went back to my suite and changed my shoes and went back to the bar to have a beer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mom says said:

I am fortunate to live in the South West so I do not need to worry about frostbite.  Was not name calling--just making a point.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SashaC said:

I believe you are operating under a false equivagency. It's an illogical fallacy that all "slobs" are happy, comfortable and non judgemental in their life, just as it is illogical to assume that all "snobs" are angry, apoplectic, and constantly on the verge of some kind of breakdown. For some reason you are unable to separate a person's opinion about clothing from that person as a whole. I may not like what a person chooses to wear, but I do not base my opinion of him as a person on something so superficial. I know many wonderful people with whom I have long standing friendships who dress like the people of Walmart. But I have a least as many friends who have a more classic regard for their wardrobe,  yet somehow manage to be friendly, engaging, and enjoyable people. I don't judge books by their covers. But there is no law that says I can't judge the cover.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mom says said:

I believe you are operating under a false equivagency. It's an illogical fallacy that all "slobs" are happy, comfortable and non judgemental in their life, just as it is illogical to assume that all "snobs" are angry, apoplectic, and constantly on the verge of some kind of breakdown. For some reason you are unable to separate a person's opinion about clothing from that person as a whole. I may not like what a person chooses to wear, but I do not base my opinion of him as a person on something so superficial. I know many wonderful people with whom I have long standing friendships who dress like the people of Walmart. But I have a least as many friends who have a more classic regard for their wardrobe,  yet somehow manage to be friendly, engaging, and enjoyable people. I don't judge books by their covers. But there is no law that says I can't judge the cover.

Okay, I think we’re done here, lol. I wasn’t talking about life in general, I said and was referring to vacation and the two camps on this specific cruise topic. You consistently  seem to be more concerned with sounding intelligent, superior and being “right” than taking the time to understand what the other person is saying, which is a losing combination for conversation. 

“Snobs” vs “slobs” isn’t literally people who dress poorly vs people who dress nicely. If that were the case I’d be calling myself a snob. It’s about attitudes and perceptions. Read blazerboy’s original comment again. 

Enjoy playing yourself by “judging the covers”. The only person that puts in a bad headspace and has a negative effect on is you, due to imagined slights. I’ll continue not worrying about how others dress on my vacations and being happy. 

Btw, the term you’re looking for is “logical fallacy” not “illogical fallacy”.

43 minutes ago, SashaC said:

Btw, the term you’re looking for is “logical fallacy” not “illogical fallacy”.

You are absolutely correct.  And you are also correct that we're  done since you refuse to see any other point of view than your own,.

11 hours ago, SashaC said:

Slobs, snobs, miserable lives, on the verge of a breakdown. Ruining their holiday. My goodness you’ve tried to pack in a lot in this post. We simply miss the cruising tradition of dressing for dinner. We don’t hate and certainly don’t have our cruise ruined, we love our holidays and meeting new people and making new friends.