Flip flops in the main dining room

Spiritedcharm

5 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

This is where I become curious:  Why do you miss it?  Is there any reason why you cannot dress as formally as you choose?

In the past formal nights were an event to look forward to. They would serve complementary  champaign and cocktails  and  hors d'oeuvres in atrium pre dinner. They had music and maybe dancing. They would introduce the officers and everyone would stay dressed for the evening. The dining experience was also special with special entrees and deserts that were prepared table side. Now there is basically dining room segregation on Celebrity with different dress codes than the MDR on formal night. This was probably the reason to change to evening Chic. There are just too many choices for dining and and the passenger base is too big to control.  I don't care one way or the other but dressing up doesn't have the same appeal to me anymore. Princess still has a large majority who dress up or at least make an effort. Royal Caribbean is just a joke and they should abandon the entire idea. Even the service in the MDR was the worst on both formal nights. They practically threw the food at you. Those who like the formal tradition also book traditional dining and they did seem to make an effort to dress up there on Royal Caribbean. 

57 minutes ago, yorky said:

Slobs, snobs, miserable lives, on the verge of a breakdown. Ruining their holiday. My goodness you’ve tried to pack in a lot in this post. We simply miss the cruising tradition of dressing for dinner. We don’t hate and certainly don’t have our cruise ruined, we love our holidays and meeting new people and making new friends.

Well, I can’t take credit for the snobs and slobs, that was someone else’s take. 

I’m not saying everyone fits into one of those two categories. I’d say that perhaps you don’t fit into either one, but based on your response and the fact that you seem a bit offended it does appear that you lean a certain way. 

You can still dress for dinner, you know. What others wear doesn’t affect that. Times change. 

It continues to be about semantics.  The fact that there are multiple definitions out there would seem to indicate that there is no cut and dried "this is a flip flop and this is a sandal."   That said, I'd take the Oxford Dictionary or Webster over Wikipedia any day, and both of those actual dictionaries state that a flip flop is typically made of rubber or plastic. 

The whole conversation reminds me of prior threads on skorts/split skirts/gauchos/culottes/etc.   Some people were adamant that particular terms meant one thing and others were just as adamant that they referred to something else.  The bottom line is that much has to do with the norms/terms that were in use when or where a person grew up, hence how they "define" a particular term.  And it's the same with the sandal/flip flop argument.  Here in the south, you will see all manner of what some on this board would adamantly declare to be a flip flop, and you will see them worn, and widely accepted, in just about every possible setting.  

• Like 1

Isn't it time to stop flogging this dead horse and start packing?  It seems like a whole lot of energy is being expended here in continuing this flogging and in the end no one is educated, convinced, changes their views or comes away with a happy perspective. At this point I really don't care because I'm going on a cruise soon and I have packing and prep concerns that are far more important.  I'm going to have fun and this flogging drags me down.

Maybe we could change the subject to something more upbeat like tipping, smoking, booze smuggling, chair hogging, etc.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

Isn't it time to stop flogging this dead horse and start packing?  It seems like a whole lot of energy is being expended here in continuing this flogging and in the end no one is educated, convinced, changes their views or comes away with a happy perspective. At this point I really don't care because I'm going on a cruise soon and I have packing and prep concerns that are far more important.  I'm going to have fun and this flogging drags me down.

Maybe we could change the subject to something more upbeat like tipping, smoking, booze smuggling, chair hogging, etc.

The edge was the first ship that we didn't encounter chair hogs, must have been the abundance of shaded areas🤣 Flip flops should have been a necessity due to all the sunburned feet;)

Edited by cgolf2

Wow! This thread has been quite entertaining! I personally wear flip-flops every night to dinner - a thong on a leather sole with the upper material being patent leather, blingy, metallic, etc.  I don't give a rip what anyone thinks; I have never been turned away and light shoes help keep luggage weight (and size) down for a 15 + day vacation.  Dressing up lost its allure years ago for many reasons, not the least of which was the downgrading of the MDR food, service and the overall ambiance of formal night. I do have to dress for work and attempt to dress appropriately at dinner, even in my flip-flops, but I fail to understand why anyone could consider the MDR to be fine dining and worthy of worrying about what others wear on their feet.  BTW, I suspect many decrying the lack of formality on Chic night are those that view their 25 year old ball gowns and tuxes as being stylish and appropriate.  If my dress and shoes are nice enough for Morton's, McCormick and Schmidt's, Capital Grill, etc., then they are nice enough for Chic night.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cgolf2 said:

The edge was the first ship that we didn't encounter chair hogs, must have been the abundance of shaded areas🤣 Flip flops should have been a necessity due to all the sunburned feet;)

But the chair hogs put their flip flops on the pool loungers early in the morning to mark their territory. 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Why would you let a meaningless CC thread drag you down as to ruin the excitement and anticipation of an upcoming cruise. Don't! This is typical of a CC dress code thread. Bottom line if the staff at the entrance to the MDR is cool with what your wearing, that's all that matters. Enjoy your upcoming cruise. 

• Like 6

We just disembarked the Summit yesterday and I can tell you with certainty that "flip flops" in the MDR or the Specialty Restaurants for dinner is the least of the dress issues that are problem. Nothing is enforced. While we were having coffee at the Café on deck 5 Saturday afternoon, one of the Ship's (4 stripes) officers stopped by to chat. During the many topics we discussed, when I mentioned the dress issue he reminded me the Ship's policy was defined in the Daily. When I asked why isn't it enforced, he had no reply.  That same evening we had dinner in the Tuscan Grill and at a table near us with a large party sat a gentlemen wearing a t-shirt and baseball cap on backwards and who do they seat next to this group.....the Captain and his guests!!!!!

41 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

We just disembarked the Summit yesterday and I can tell you with certainty that "flip flops" in the MDR or the Specialty Restaurants for dinner is the least of the dress issues that are problem. Nothing is enforced. While we were having coffee at the Café on deck 5 Saturday afternoon, one of the Ship's (4 stripes) officers stopped by to chat. During the many topics we discussed, when I mentioned the dress issue he reminded me the Ship's policy was defined in the Daily. When I asked why isn't it enforced, he had no reply.  That same evening we had dinner in the Tuscan Grill and at a table near us with a large party sat a gentlemen wearing a t-shirt and baseball cap on backwards and who do they seat next to this group.....the Captain and his guests!!!!!

B85A4956-0356-4AFD-8DB0-9960D2A48C96.jpeg

11 hours ago, davekathy said:

Why would you let a meaningless CC thread drag you down as to ruin the excitement and anticipation of an upcoming cruise. Don't! This is typical of a CC dress code thread. Bottom line if the staff at the entrance to the MDR is cool with what your wearing, that's all that matters. Enjoy your upcoming cruise. 

I agree. Treat them with the contempt they deserve!😉

Phil 

On 8/24/2019 at 4:45 PM, MISTER 67 said:

We avoid all that by requesting a table for 2.

BTW, dressing up for dinner is not putting on airs, my guess is you and I are from different generations, I'm a boomer who grew up in the 50s and remember when gentleman went to ballgames in suits and dress hats and ladies wore dresses, heels and gloves when leaving home. I don't ever remember my mother dressing any other way, we went to the 1959 World Series with my uncle at Comiskey Park and my uncle wore a grey shark skin suit and mother a beautiful dress and high heels, different day and age and to tell you the truth I miss it so very much.

I am also a boomer who grew up in the 50s and I don’t miss it at all. Nor do I miss the era of cruising when everyone had to dress formal for dinner. 

I much prefer to change with the times and for dinner I will be wearing solid color tee shirts and black pants long enough so no one can tell if my blingy thong sandals have a back strap or not.  

16 hours ago, davekathy said:

I'll respectfully disagree.  Just because the staff lets you in the door, doesn't mean they're "cool with it".  It really means that they are put in a difficult situation by people that choose to ignore the rules and they don't want the problems that arise from confronting a guest about a problem.  Maybe someone needs to start a list of Celebrity rules and policies that we can ignore if we wish.

• Like 2

I'm shocked at the ruckus my simple question caused. I never imagined anyone would care so much what I'm wearing on my feet. I am a boomer in my mid-fifties and when I was growing up, they were called thongs and "thong sandals" later when thong underwear came around. I agree with the posters who said a flip flop is a flat rubber shoe with a strap between the toes that makes the flip flop sound when you walk. My "flip flops" do not have a flat bottom, they are leather, and they definitely do not make the flip flop sound. I also own a pair of leather sandals that technically meet the dress code standard with a strap around the back, but the shoes I posted are far classier and stylish than those. 

Those who like to dress should and enjoy it.  Everyone is free (within reason) dress as they believe appropriate.    Also, if you MUST wear shorts during dinner hours- eat at the buffet or in your cabin.  You cannot wear short if you attend Captain club functions either.  I grew up in the sixties- but enjoy dressing for dinner as does my husband.  We like nice things and dress only for ourselves-  

However, I do not get why people are so opposed to just accepting the dress code as per the ships definition-  Reminds me of my children who when they were young- tried to push the envelop and see what they could get away with!    Perhaps camping is a better option for some.

Edited by Cruise a holic

40 minutes ago, Spiritedcharm said:

I'm shocked at the ruckus my simple question caused. I never imagined anyone would care so much what I'm wearing on my feet. I am a boomer in my mid-fifties and when I was growing up, they were called thongs and "thong sandals" later when thong underwear came around. I agree with the posters who said a flip flop is a flat rubber shoe with a strap between the toes that makes the flip flop sound when you walk. My "flip flops" do not have a flat bottom, they are leather, and they definitely do not make the flip flop sound. I also own a pair of leather sandals that technically meet the dress code standard with a strap around the back, but the shoes I posted are far classier and stylish than those. 

I'm sorry, but I think you are just trying to rationalize your choice.  When the shoe is only attached to your foot by a strap between your toes, it's a flip flop not a thong sandal.  But please feel free to continue wearing your thongs at dinner.

Edited by ipeeinthepool

Im a hobbit so I don't wear shoes or so called flip flops. I plan on wearing my Ramones ripped stained t shirt and cut off cargo pants (shorts) to dinner every night in main dining room and elsewhere  I don't bother bringing change of clothes for vacations.  Jump in the water they get clean. 

Trying to figure out how you can get 145 replies onto the idea of flip/flops sandals.  But that goes to show Celebrity needs to set clearer definitions.  Everyone has there own idea which is fine but causes to much confusion.

1 minute ago, bikerunner said:

Im a hobbit so I don't wear shoes or so called flip flops. I plan on wearing my Ramones ripped stained t shirt and cut off cargo pants (shorts) to dinner every night in main dining room and elsewhere  I don't bother bringing change of clothes for vacations.  Jump in the water they get clean. 

Trying to figure out how you can get 145 replies onto the idea of flip/flops sandals.  But that goes to show Celebrity needs to set clearer definitions.  Everyone has there own idea which is fine but causes to much confusion.

Or it is a slow summer and people here like me have nothing better to do I guess!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiritedcharm said:

I'm shocked at the ruckus my simple question caused.

OP I am so glad you came back and followed up with a response as I have followed this thread since you posted, when there were only three replies, and I've since wondered what you thought about all of the responses.  Did you ever imagine a simple question would amount to so much?  I think the footwear you posted is more often the norm these days and perfectly acceptable.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

I am also a boomer who grew up in the 50s and I don’t miss it at all. Nor do I miss the era of cruising when everyone had to dress formal for dinner. 

I much prefer to change with the times and for dinner I will be wearing solid color tee shirts and black pants long enough so no one can tell if my blingy thong sandals have a back strap or not.  

I wonder if the nostalgic boomers "missing so very much" the gloves and hats in the 50's also miss smoking in the MDR......

• Haha 1