Flip flops in the main dining room

Spiritedcharm

52 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm sorry, but I think you are just trying to rationalize your choice.  When the shoe is only attached to your foot by a strap between your toes, it's a flip flop not a thong sandal.  But please feel free to continue wearing your thongs at dinner.

Everyone in this thread is rationalizing their choice... we present opinions and back them up with why we think our opinion is valid.  You say strap between toes, I say quality of material, others say slapping flip-flop sound.  No one knows who is right, as this thread can attest to. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 1980dory said:

I'm going to have fun and this flogging drags me down.

Maybe we could change the subject to something more upbeat like tipping, smoking, booze smuggling, chair hogging, etc.

Or you could scroll past the thread.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm sorry, but I think you are just trying to rationalize your choice.  When the shoe is only attached to your foot by a strap between your toes, it's a flip flop not a thong sandal.  But please feel free to continue wearing your thongs at dinner.

And you are adamant that your personal definition of "flip flop" is the only one that could possibly be considered correct or acceeptable, despite several standard dictionaries saying otherwise. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'll respectfully disagree.  Just because the staff lets you in the door, doesn't mean they're "cool with it".  It really means that they are put in a difficult situation by people that choose to ignore the rules and they don't want the problems that arise from confronting a guest about a problem.  Maybe someone needs to start a list of Celebrity rules and policies that we can ignore if we wish.

Yes I will agree with that. However you obviously missed the whole point of ..."the staff at the entrance to the MDR is cool with what your wearing, that's all that matters".  Yours, mine or others opinions that everyone should/needs to follow the simple published evening suggested dress guidelines in the MDR doesn't matter. Just a bunch of blah, blah, blah! Looking forward to your recommended list of things to ignore. 

47 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Yes I will agree with that. However you obviously missed the whole point of ..."the staff at the entrance to the MDR is cool with what your wearing, that's all that matters".  Yours, mine or others opinions that everyone should/needs to follow the simple published evening suggested dress guidelines in the MDR doesn't matter. Just a bunch of blah, blah, blah! Looking forward to your recommended list of things to ignore. 

Ok, I'll start the list:

1.  T-shirts should be allowed in the MDR.  I have some very nice T-shirts with fashionable designs and pockets that should be allowed in the MDR.  These are far nicer than some of the golf shirts with a sponsors logo.

2. As long as there are seats available in the theatres and shows, savings of seats should be allowed.  It doesn't hurt anyone if I save seats for some late arriving friends or relatives as long as there are seats available.

41 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Ok, I'll start the list:

1.  T-shirts should be allowed in the MDR.  I have some very nice T-shirts with fashionable designs and pockets that should be allowed in the MDR.  These are far nicer than some of the golf shirts with a sponsors logo.

2. As long as there are seats available in the theatres and shows, savings of seats should be allowed.  It doesn't hurt anyone if I save seats for some late arriving friends or relatives as long as there are seats available.

1. How do you define T-shirt? Are short sleeves enough? Do they have to be made of cotton? Have a silly saying on the front? Is there an embellishment or pattern that takes it out of that category?  (see below)

2. Am I saving seats for someone in the bathroom or at the bar getting a drink? Or someone who is coming from the MDR with me but stopped for the bathroom or at the bar on the way? Is there a time limit so that a 5-10 minute bathroom break or bar run is ok?

pl16708991-navy_blue_v_neck_short_sleeve_t_shirt_plus_size_womens_dressy_t_shirts_lace_shoulder.jpg

6d5732e3-d347-468c-a4f7-a5d31de209b4_1.4d52cdab94f3d7141c71b3e8b60311ef.jpeg

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Ok, I'll start the list:

Is that the best you can do! 🙄 Blah, blah, blah. I can think one that if it's not enforced we will ***** all the way to the top  You're correct, what others do or wear "doesn't hurt us". Take your whining up with Celebrity. Are you part of the problem or solution? The PCS is a good vehicle to start with. We don't concern ourselves with what others wear or do as long as it doesn't effect our enjoyment of the cruise. If you did this possibly you would enjoy your cruises even more. That's why I said if the staff is cool with it... We have always understood all of Celebrity's simple guidelines no matter what they are and follow them. Because there are so many that want to bend and stretch the simple guidelines to benefit themselves and Celebrity's and it's staff won't back up what guidelines they have publish there will always be these meaningless threads on CC. Kick and scream all you want but obviously nothing has changed. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 12:39 PM, NemoCrownie said:

Wow! This thread has been quite entertaining! I personally wear flip-flops every night to dinner - a thong on a leather sole with the upper material being patent leather, blingy, metallic, etc.  I don't give a rip what anyone thinks; I have never been turned away and light shoes help keep luggage weight (and size) down for a 15 + day vacation.  Dressing up lost its allure years ago for many reasons, not the least of which was the downgrading of the MDR food, service and the overall ambiance of formal night. I do have to dress for work and attempt to dress appropriately at dinner, even in my flip-flops, but I fail to understand why anyone could consider the MDR to be fine dining and worthy of worrying about what others wear on their feet.  BTW, I suspect many decrying the lack of formality on Chic night are those that view their 25 year old ball gowns and tuxes as being stylish and appropriate.  If my dress and shoes are nice enough for Morton's, McCormick and Schmidt's, Capital Grill, etc., then they are nice enough for Chic night.

Right on!!!  I personally wore my dressy black Fitflops to dinner almost every night on the Summit in Blu.  Ooooooh, no one stopped me. I don't even think anyone looked down.   And I didn't have to shove my feet into heels after a warm, steamy day out in Bermuda.  And btw, on chic night everyone looked great.  There were a variety of styles - some more dressy than others - but honestly, people were looking GOOD and dressed well.  

ok, here's my 2 cents, and 2 thoughts.   

1:: I'm going to wear my 'flip/flops' to dinner, cause I paid good money for that pedicure with the fancy polish and I'm a show those tootsies off!!  

and 2::  Why the heck you lookin' at my feet anyway!!?    

what I do, or do not have on my feet are nobody's business than my own...  What anyone is wearing on their feet in NO WAY impacts your experience, or meal, as long as the shoes, or the feet don't stink, it's all good!!   

We all need to be less judgmental towards others. 

• Like 4

The vibe of a restaurant or ballroom depends on several factors. If a cruise line or a hotel promisses an elegant and upscale dinning experience this should be visible when you enter the restaurant. Beside the furniture, room decoration and food the look of other guests is always part of that.

If I see mainly people with baseball caps, shorts or jeans, tank tops and flip flops or sneakers it is not different from any fast food chain restaurant. No one expects a suit, dinner jacket or dress anymore but at least a clean shirt and long trousers with shoes that are not made for the beach or sports should be possible for all grown-ups.        

IMO.  People that tend to follow rules and guidelines do so either on or off a ship.  People that bend, stretch or ignore the rules and guidelines tend to do so in life and decide what is important to them or applies to them.  These are choices.  There are plenty of folks in each of my simplified categories.   But it is not specific to Celebrity or to MDR dining.  The OP of this thread asked a simple question in a sincere attempt to understand the MDR guidelines in place.  That's all.

• Like 1