Chefs table dining experience and cost

fatcattravel

The cost is $95 and is lower without wine. Here is the menu from a past dinner. It takes about 3 hours. You get everything on the menu.

Chef’s Table Menu

Grand Princess

October 5, 2015

First Course, French Champaign & Hor’s d’ouvres in the Galley

Alaskan Crab Legs and Lobster Margarita with Avocado Mango and Lime

Tartare of Sterling Silver Beef Fillet with Traditional Condiments

Mini Qioche Fontina Cheese with Black Truffle and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Warm Potato Timbale with Caviar and Sour Cream

Italian Seafood Risotto with Creamy Fresh Tomato Sauce

Pan Roasted Shrimps, Calamari, Mussels and Scallops

“Amalfi” Lemon Sorbet with Pineapple Slaw

Roast Lobster Tail, Veal Shank & Beef Tenderloin, Carved Table Side

With Cepes and Jus, Today’s Premium Market Vegatables and Chateau Potatoes

Baked Camembert with Pine Nuts

Port Wine Reduction and Walnut Bread

Bittersweet Chocolate Mousse with Carmel Cream and Milk Chocolate Crunch

Coffee or Tea with Executive Chef Jeremy’s Homemade Amaretto & Biscotti

Buon Appetite

Edited by denmarks

If it is within your budget, I would absolutely recommend doing it at least once. We did it on the Regal Princess just this past January and it was an unforgettable experience. The quality of food and the level of service will truly be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me. I am considering it for our Christmas cruise this year on the Sky, but it’s pretty pricey for a family of four. Here are some pictures of the menu and the food. There were also a lot of little hors d’oeuvres from the kitchen portion that are not shown. It is definitely a lot of food and I was pretty close to being stuffed before the main course arrived, so was feeling really uncomfortable by the time all of the desserts were brought in. Wish I had only eaten half of each of course as was not able to fully enjoy the very scrumptious desserts. That orange ginger sorbet in the glass with the biscuit was probably one of the most divine things I have tasted in all my years. The exquisite detailing and the level of flavours in it were incredible. 

We had our family of four and a family of three from Europe (lady in green dress with her parents). An evening I will never forget. 

0324C4A7-6E71-4775-89C8-746B98472F73.jpeg

6CF8F4A9-E956-47ED-93A4-DEDF84B12718.jpeg

DDF499DA-A884-4FE0-9F97-81379F30D625.jpeg

4BB580ED-2515-4D2B-A9F2-53C8539D0DE7.jpeg

4B25AF0B-7EED-474B-BC8F-C24CE75832E8.jpeg

EC1AFA88-8938-4E52-AD75-186104B0C3E0.jpeg

1E369C15-F8DB-4236-AF7E-53CC5FFE2CE4.jpeg

C46E5E89-5EC2-4487-94EE-522F6E505DF8.jpeg

496E696A-647E-48A6-8736-B23EBAC9CEBE.jpeg

4804D8B3-032E-462D-B006-FD1B2652FE97.jpeg

8F8782A4-2140-469A-A23E-8CF4977B14E9.jpeg

Edited by h-sar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fatcat, one thing that I might add is that there is inconsistency regarding the Chef's Table accommodation of participants' food allergies.  I'm sure it depends on the Executive Chef on the ship--who is one of the stars of the evening.  Some people have reported here on Cruise Critic that their allergies were accommodated.  In my case, my wife and I had to sign waivers attesting that we had no food allergies.

My DH and I have done the Chef’s Table four times and have enjoyed all of them. We plan on trying to sign up on our November cruise.  If you are interested in a dining experience then I highly recommend.  I would not recommend it to someone who is more of a “meat and potatoes” kind of eater or someone uncomfortable or not interested in trying different foods. Why spend that much money if they won’t enjoy?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2019 at 2:05 PM, XBGuy said:

Fatcat, one thing that I might add is that there is inconsistency regarding the Chef's Table accommodation of participants' food allergies.  I'm sure it depends on the Executive Chef on the ship--who is one of the stars of the evening.  Some people have reported here on Cruise Critic that their allergies were accommodated.  In my case, my wife and I had to sign waivers attesting that we had no food allergies.

I have a shellfish allergy, so it looks like a no-go for me on this!!

I've done it three times and enjoyed all the meals immensely. DH's favorite part is having the hors d'ouevres in the galley. Every chef has created something exquisite and usually something bizarre as well. I remember one dish was a tomato aspic served in a clear plastic cone accompanied by beef tartare. I'm not sure any of the dozen guests enjoyed that one. 

We haven't done the chef's table lately. I figure we should give others a chance. Our new favorite celebration meal is the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Again, different ships, different managers seem to have different policies,

I have known people whose shellfish allergy is so serious that they cannot be at the same table where shellfish are being served.  If you are that sensitive, then I would certainly not recommend that you attend.  Some sort of shellfish is almost always served at the Chef's Table--and it could be served with the appetizers or one of the sit down courses.  We had shrimp in our risotto.  I have seen numerous reports of lobster tails being served with the entree.

If your sensitivity is not as serious as I indicated above, you can, certainly, sign up for the Chef's Table and see if it is an issue.  As I indicated above, there have been multiple reports, here on Cruise Critic, where allergies have been accommodated.  I recall one report where the chef noted that one lady declined a fish course.  He asked her about it and she replied that she had an allergy.  He immediately prepared a special substitute dish for her.

You can certainly call the DINE line and ask what the Chef's Table policy for your cruise will be.  That would cost you nothing.  When I called to submit my request, I was asked, immediately, if either of us had any food allergies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I also have a shellfish allergy. I have done the chef‘s table four or five times and they have always been willing to work around it. The appetizers are really the only place where there has been any kind of a problem and they just substitute something else.  Considering the amount of food over the evening I would like to skip the appetizers but they always come up with something else.  I think once the risotto had a kind of shellfish in it and they just left that part out for me. The main course when I have done it has always been a meat course. 

Edited by Sea Day Cruiser
  • Like 1

I've done it 5 times thus far, and am considering doing it again on my next cruise. IMO, it's worth every penny because it is so much more than just having dinner.

The menu is not always the same, supposedly determined by the exec chef. I've had the surf and turf one 3 times, and the other two were sort of a meat lovers menu ….. 3 different meats on the entrée … beef, veal and (I think) lamb. 

9 hours ago, Californian said:

Is the Chef’s Table available on the shorter cruises? I will be on a four day and a five day cruise soon and was wondering if it’s offered.

I think its week long cruises +, subject to demand. We were on a B2B last July in the Med, and on both legs we put our name down, but on both occasions there was not enough interest. We were very disappointed, although we have done it twice before, we would want to do it again. Hopefully on the Enchanted next July 🙂

2 minutes ago, ian441672 said:

I think its week long cruises +, subject to demand. We were on a B2B last July in the Med, and on both legs we put our name down, but on both occasions there was not enough interest. We were very disappointed, although we have done it twice before, we would want to do it again. Hopefully on the Enchanted next July 🙂

I would have been disappointed too.  😢

I do have a 15 day cruise next year; so if I’m not able to do it on one of the shorter ones, I should be able to get it on that one!

Do they have Captains Table on each segment of the cruise, 28 day, 21day and 14 day?  If so do the new boarding passengers get priority for their segment? For example we will board in Barcelona for 14 day TA, will we get a chance to book the Captains Table or will passengers on the prior leg of the cruise be able to have secured a position at the table.  Also what is the limit of diners? 

1 hour ago, 1Gizmo said:

Do they have Captains Table on each segment of the cruise, 28 day, 21day and 14 day?  If so do the new boarding passengers get priority for their segment? For example we will board in Barcelona for 14 day TA, will we get a chance to book the Captains Table or will passengers on the prior leg of the cruise be able to have secured a position at the table.  Also what is the limit of diners? 

There is no Captains Table.

Are you referring to the Chefs Table?

If so......

There is no priority for any passengers. It is first come first served.

It is usually 10 to 12 people.

It is offered by demand. Some cruise segments may have 1 or 2 or they may have none.

Once onboard I would head to the DR (Embarkation day lunch Noon-1:30pm) and speak with the Head Waiter at the door so you can get your name in. If you don't make on in time for the DR lunch on embarkation day then try the Passenger Services Desk or catch a supervisor in the HC buffet. You can also call the DINE line from your cabin phone.

We try and stay with contacting the MD/Asst MD/Head waiter etc.

3 hours ago, 1Gizmo said:

The answer to whether there’s a list from the previous cruise can apparently vary...not for Colo but once there was a list from the previous cruise for me.

We quickly boarded the ship & went directly to the restaurant where they had the Chef’s Table request list with 20 passengers from the previous cruise who weren’t able to get the CT.  Those passengers were at the top of the list & fortunately they had multiple CTs so we could attend it.  The 3 other times we called the DINE line & were always assigned to the CT.

It’s been my experiences that the preceding port intensive Med cruises before a TA rarely had a CT or Winemakers Dinner.  During the transatlantic these dining options were available several times so hopefully you’ll make the cut.

Keith...is the CT Lumiere more incredible than on other ships?  The only difference I see is a better table surrounded by a wall of lights for more privacy.

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Keith...is the CT Lumiere more incredible than on other ships?  The only difference I see is a better table surrounded by a wall of lights for more privacy.

Frank I think it is the atmosphere with the designated spot/table/glass curtain etc.

I never compare the menu offerings to see what if anything if different from the regular CT.

Just seems to be a different experience imo.

I will still do either one again for sure!!