Best Cruise for Family With Children Ages 8 to 12

straitfan

It has been several years since we have cruised and have never cruised with young children. Next July, we hoped to take our daughters and their family on a Disney cruise but can't find one available when we can go. I chose Disney because I've heard rave reviews about the activities for children onboard. Truthfully, our grandchildren are not all that into Disney (unAmerican, I know) and the cost of those cruises is crazy expensive. 

This site was very helpful to me in years past, so I thought I would throw this out there to see if I could get some consensus about the best ship to sail with kids ages 8 (2 girls) and 11/12 (boys), other than Disney. 

We were looking at the Norwegian Breakaway. Through today, they are offering a free unlimited beverage package. I see that the "free" package is charged $20 per person per day for the 1st and 2nd passengers in each cabin for gratuities. Anyone done this? Is it worth it? Could you drink what you wanted at the bars/pool or were you limited? The ship looks like it has lots of sports things for the boys to do and pool activities for the girls. And they all love mini golf. But I've read reviews that the lines are long for all activities and some people never got to do any of it because it was way too crowded. 

Do you have to pay for the extras on NCL? I saw a few reviews where you had to pay for movies in the room and for the entertainment on the ship and some other things that I expected would be included in the cruise. 

Any help/advice you can lend to me is much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

the biggest blasts our 8 yo had was on RCI's Allure of the Seas and NCL's Getaway. Lots of fun activities (he doesn't do kid's club, so we have to have something else for him and us to do).

So, I'd go with Oasis class or AMPED older RCI ships, or Getaway.  We LOVED the Allure, but had mixed feelings about the Getaway. See my reviews in signature if you wish. Also has info on the min and max limits for most activities.

The wait in the line to the ropes course on the Getaway was over an hour on the 1st sea day, but was only about 5-10 minutes after that day. We did go the week BEFORE Christmas, so I am sure that during school breaks the lines would be a bit longer.

We haven't tried MSC yet - that's next year.

We've only cruised princess with our little, starting from babies, and our last cruise they were 11, 8, and 5 (all girls).  My kids love cruising; there was always something to do, kid center, ping pong, pool, other games and activities.  We got some sort of deal and we all got the drink package.  I LOVED it and will never sail without it again.  I enjoyed the cocktails all day and wine with dinner (plus the specialty coffees afterward).  Though it was part of the package, I'm debating on getting it for my kids again on the next cruise.  My oldest thought it was so cool to go to the bar and get virgin drinks, etc.  I doubt they drank as much of the package as it would regularly cost, but it was worth it for their happiness and experience.  At one point, my husband had to cut my kid off from pina coladas.  HAH