Stolen wheelchair

juliet

Not sure which cruise line you are referring to, but we saw an actual fight between two (ahem) older men, on an upscale premium cruiseline, with 750 passenger onboard!!!   Man #1 accused Man #2 of “stealing” his chair.   Man #2 said it looked just like his, and so he “took it”.  Sigh...it ended up in blows, with ships’ crew breaking it up.   Turns out, that both rented from the same company, so they were identical!!!!    The extra one, turned up in a hallway, I am sure someone else moved it out of the way.  We have also seen the crew trying to take the wrong one to a good friend of ours one night.  They looked somewhat alike, and they store them in a hallway, so like a”black” suitcase, they look alike.  Moral  of story, put an identifier on your chair...room number on label wrapped around handle, yarn, etc.   Never heard of one actually stolen however...I think it’s more of a mistaken identity...labeling your chair should cover most bases IMHO.  If you are afraid of it being misplaced or commandeered.. stay in it at the table. Or fold it up and place it next to you.  

Edited by Cruseforme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cruseforme said:

Not sure which cruise line you are referring to, but we saw an actual fight between two (ahem) older men, on an upscale premium cruiseline, with 750 passenger onboard!!!   Man #1 accused Man #2 of “stealing” his chair.   Man #2 said it looked just like his, and so he “took it”.  Sigh...it ended up in blows, with ships’ crew breaking it up.   Turns out, that both rented from the same company, so they were identical!!!!    The extra one, turned up in a hallway, I am sure someone else moved it out of the way.  We have also seen the crew trying to take the wrong one to a good friend of ours one night.  They looked somewhat alike, and they store them in a hallway, so like a”black” suitcase, they look alike.  Moral  of story, put an identifier on your chair...room number on label wrapped around handle, yarn, etc.   Never heard of one actually stolen however...I think it’s more of a mistaken identity...labeling your chair should cover most bases IMHO.  If you are afraid of it being misplaced or commandeered.. stay in it at the table. Or fold it up and place it next to you.  

Yes, have heard all sorts of stories.  This will be our first time on a cruise with a wheelchair and concerned.  We had a walker stolen at a restaurant one night.  It was a fairly new, sturdy one and the one left was an old rickety one that we couldn't use.  Went out the next day and bought a new one.  Have ID on the wheelchair and will put some other things on to identify it or will have it put next to us folded as you suggested.  Thanks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, juliet said:

Yes, have heard all sorts of stories.  This will be our first time on a cruise with a wheelchair and concerned.  We had a walker stolen at a restaurant one night.  It was a fairly new, sturdy one and the one left was an old rickety one that we couldn't use.  Went out the next day and bought a new one.  Have ID on the wheelchair and will put some other things on to identify it or will have it put next to us folded as you suggested.  Thanks.

I was going to suggest something "noticeable", similar to how people "flag" luggage, but maybe not quite so garish... just enough to catch someone's attention, and then plus a "luggage tag" or something with some identifier.

We use "wrap-around" day glow rubbery thingies that velcro on to the handle of luggage.  Not only are they visually noticeable, but they FEEL different.  A few of those along any handle of a wheelchair should avoid most mistakes, and I'd assume that ON a ship, most problems are indeed mistakes.  (On shore, maybe not so much... are there locks, like bicycle locks?)

GC

• Thanks 1

The same thing can happen after meals in the main dining rooms, or after a show in the theater. 

When renting a scooter, just know that yours is going to look exactly like many others aboard, so yes, bring something along to help you find yours. Last October, I wired a 2dimentional  👻  deco onto the front of my basket; a friend on the same sailing had a  🎃. We got many smiles and “I love your _______” comments wherever we went! 😁

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, dog said:

scootaround offers loss/theft insurance.

Put identifying tag on it.

Keep eye on it, ask to sit close to entrance.

I just got off the Koningsdam and each time we went to the dining room and parked my scooter near the entrance the hostess put a small tag on it with our cabin number.    First time I have had them to do this.

This happened to my Mother a few years ago on Celebrity. We were having dinner and the crew set her chair by a wall "out of the way". This is what usually is done so we thought nothing of it. When we went to leave dinner the crew could not find our chair anywhere and no one knew what had happened to it. We had rented it from Special Needs at Sea and it had a bright yellow tag (6"x8") on it with our name and stateroom number. 

The crew did give us a Celebrity wheelchair to use in the interim until they could locate ours. BTW this particular chair was parked right next to where they had put ours. Unfortunately the crew did not feel that it was worth while trying to locate the chair immediately. My Mother who is in her 80's was very upset and worried that I would be responsible for replacing it if it wasn't found. I do understand that we were on a ship on the ocean and it would eventually be found, however my Mother got no sleep that night worrying about it and the crew did not seem to understand why she was so upset.

Very long story short, someone felt ill while in the dining room and the crew grabbed our chair to take her to the Medical Center. Once at the Medical Center, the crew there told her to keep the chair overnight even though they knew it did not belong to them nor was it a Celebrity chair. To make matters worse the next morning when the crew told us where the chair was (in someone else's stateroom) we were told we would have to wait for it until a later time (it was around 7:30am) because they were in no way going to inconvenience that couple so early in the morning.

Since then we try to rent an ECV scooter where the key can be removed. If we do use a wheelchair I take a bike lock so that the chair can't be opened. I know this may seem ridiculous but it gives my Mother peace of mind while we are traveling.

I also had a new seat cover and back put on my Travelscoot when I had it reupholstered to give more foam in the seat so it does not look like any other scooter.  It's also less hot because the original was plain black and it got hot when it was sitting in the sun.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 6:13 AM, TSU1184 said:

This happened to my Mother a few years ago on Celebrity. We were having dinner and the crew set her chair by a wall "out of the way". This is what usually is done so we thought nothing of it. When we went to leave dinner the crew could not find our chair anywhere and no one knew what had happened to it. We had rented it from Special Needs at Sea and it had a bright yellow tag (6"x8") on it with our name and stateroom number. 

The crew did give us a Celebrity wheelchair to use in the interim until they could locate ours. BTW this particular chair was parked right next to where they had put ours. Unfortunately the crew did not feel that it was worth while trying to locate the chair immediately. My Mother who is in her 80's was very upset and worried that I would be responsible for replacing it if it wasn't found. I do understand that we were on a ship on the ocean and it would eventually be found, however my Mother got no sleep that night worrying about it and the crew did not seem to understand why she was so upset.

Very long story short, someone felt ill while in the dining room and the crew grabbed our chair to take her to the Medical Center. Once at the Medical Center, the crew there told her to keep the chair overnight even though they knew it did not belong to them nor was it a Celebrity chair. To make matters worse the next morning when the crew told us where the chair was (in someone else's stateroom) we were told we would have to wait for it until a later time (it was around 7:30am) because they were in no way going to inconvenience that couple so early in the morning.

Since then we try to rent an ECV scooter where the key can be removed. If we do use a wheelchair I take a bike lock so that the chair can't be opened. I know this may seem ridiculous but it gives my Mother peace of mind while we are traveling.

Good info I don’t blame your mom for feeling that way...

happy sailing 

This is what I fear too.  Our upcoming Dec. cruise is the first time I will be cruisingwith my scooter. I found out that it is the same kind that is rented. Pride go go. I know the same key fits all of them.  I really don't want my brand new scooter taken by someone who has a scooter like mine.  I plan on getting something to put on the handles to identify my scooter.  Maybe a "kids" license plate at the dollar store?  Any ideas?

Maybe put something like a colourful pompom etc.  like people put on their luggage (you can buy at luggage stores or the dollar stores).   Something that stands out and might help someone else from taking your scooter by mistake.

I use a mobility scooter.  When I go to the MDR, I never let staff park it because there is a 50-50 chance they are not familiar with it and thus cannot drive it properly or safely.  In addition, it folds up compactly and staff do not know how to do that.   Finally, it is key operated and I don't want anyone else being responsible for that key.

Also, if you have a bell or horn on your scooter, people love to play with it.  They have no respect for private property and must think that the scooter is placed there for their amusement and entertainment instead of an individual's personal needs. My scooter has been damaged because of cruisers AND employees playing with it. Staff get reported immediately if they are caught playing with my equipment.

I fold my scooter, cover the controls and try to keep an eye on it and hope for the best.

A lightweight combination cable lock to wrap around the handles of a closed walker or wheelchair could work. Or to attach those or a scooter to a post, etc.  This isn't for heavy duty theft prevention, but would make it difficult for someone who is mistakenly (or not), taking your mobility device.  I sometime use it on my folding lightweight scooter.  I just keep it attached to my scooter so it's always there when I need it.  Something like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Cable-Lock/dp/B00I5IWCPA/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=lightweight+wire+combination+lock&qid=1574873569&sr=8-1

Never a problem for us, since my mother sat in her wheelchair in the dining room and elsewhere. Totally non-ambulatory, and transfers were only with a lift. This is probably more an issue for ambulatory people who also use a scooter.

On 11/28/2019 at 3:59 AM, jasm8449 said:

A lightweight combination cable lock to wrap around the handles of a closed walker or wheelchair could work. Or to attach those or a scooter to a post, etc.  This isn't for heavy duty theft prevention, but would make it difficult for someone who is mistakenly (or not), taking your mobility device.  I sometime use it on my folding lightweight scooter.  I just keep it attached to my scooter so it's always there when I need it.  Something like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Cable-Lock/dp/B00I5IWCPA/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=lightweight+wire+combination+lock&qid=1574873569&sr=8-1

Yep I use something similar and leave it on the chair when not in use