PRincess Grill room

oskidunker

Is the Princess grill cabin on the Queen Mary or the Queen Elizabeth...or Queen Victoria....  We have sailed all three....   The QE and QV are laid out very similar to the mini suite on Princess but that is where it ends...... With Cunard.... you have a private butler and you have one of the best dining rooms at sea... plus separate relaxation areas if you want....It is amazing..... Only the Queens suite on cunard is better.... Go to Cunard and look up the menus ...Also if you don't see something you like or want the Chief will make it for you with a days notice... I can't say enough about the grill dining on Cunard.... The Princess grill suite on the QM is a little different but so very roomy... There, again go to Cunard and they will give you the sq footage...  If you are thinking of which to go with... Try Cunard, its wonderful....no matter what cabin you get the service and dining is great... Princess is a little step down even their club mini suites can't touch Cunard......  The QM is a ship all on to her own,   She is a true Ocean Liner and anyone who loves to cruise should sail on her....We have been on 8 cruises with Princess and 4 with Cunard.....all told we have been on 51 cruises 10 different cruise lines.....

Princess Grill suites on the QE/QV are the same as the Grand class ships mini suites on Princess as far as layout is concerned, although the balcony on Princess is deeper.   QM2 Princess Grill balcony and cabin are much bigger.

That's where the similarity ends.  Cunard's Princess Grill offers the Grill lounge,/sunbathing deck and the best of all dining in the Princess Grill dining room which offers a la carte dining on top of the set menu and tableside flambes on request the day before from the Head Waiter.   You will have anytime dining betweeen 6 and 9pm and the table will be yours throughout for breakfast, lunch and dinner with the same waiters.  Afternoon tea used to be served in the grills lounge but this is now done in the restaurant.   You get bottled water, but no other drinks offered as you do in QG. There is a cofee pod machine in PG as there is in the QG cabins.

Club class dining on Princess does not compare, they offer an additional 1 or 2 items on the menu each evening, anytime dining in a part of the dining room allocated for Club. The waiters are split into 3 sections so you may not get the same ones every evening.  You will get to know them though as if you are on board for longer than a week, you tend to move around the smaller dining area.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I remember a butler on the QE2 on our last sailing to Spitsbergen.   Anyway they will be well pleased with the Princess Suites, they may even get a visit from the upgrade fairy and get a Queens Grill Suite.

Don't even try to compare the QE2 to any of the Cunard ships sailing today.

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I am going to reserve a Princess Grill room. Cant wait to try something better than Princess, where every time you ask for something the answer is no.  Have done mini suites on Princess but the cost lately has approached the Princess Grill prices, especially on longer European cruises. Can you request to be seated with others in the grill or do they seat you at a table for two? We are just a couple. My wife does enjoy talking to new people. 

Also, is the deposit ever less than 30%? Cruise is Sept 20, 2020. 

3 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I am going to reserve a Princess Grill room. Cant wait to try something better than Princess, where every time you ask for something the answer is no.  Have done mini suites on Princess but the cost lately has approached the Princess Grill prices, especially on longer European cruises. Can you request to be seated with others in the grill or do they seat you at a table for two? We are just a couple. My wife does enjoy talking to new people. 

Also, is the deposit ever less than 30%? Cruise is Sept 20, 2020. 

You can ask to be on a larger table - and they are usually glad to comply.

39 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

So included in The Princess Grill room is a drink package, free gratuities and $200 pp plus a military credit of $250.00. All for about $7300 pp. Hope its worth it. 

Please report back and let us know. 

The Princess Grill suite on Cunard ships is much larger than the mini suite on Princess line.  It's also more tastefully decorated and the bathroom is more upscale.  Much better product all the way around.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tv24 said:

The Princess Grill suite on Cunard ships is much larger than the mini suite on Princess line.  It's also more tastefully decorated and the bathroom is more upscale.  Much better product all the way around.

I have not been on Princess, but in the photos their mini-suites look very much like the PG staterooms on the QE and QV. I wouldn't be surprised if they were made in the same factory.  According to the Princess diagrams they are narrow, have a large bathroom with tub, a large (but mostly open) closet area, a sitting area and a tiny balcony - just like on the QE and QV.

I had a Princess Grill stateroom once on the QE and was not at all impressed with it. I won't say I was disappointed because I knew what I was getting. It was worth going PG on that cruise because the fare was reasonable and we found the PG restaurant and lounge to be in a better position than those on the QM2. The large exclusive deck area was also appreciated. We recently had a cruise on the QE in Britannia. Our unusually-shaped stateroom had a balcony that was twice the size of those in PG.

The PG staterooms on the QM2 are different. Being essentially square they appear much larger than those on the smaller "Queens" even though statistically they are of the same or similar square footage. They have a large walk-in closet with a door so your visitors don't see your clothes. The balcony is much larger than those in PG on the QE and QV.

I've only been on Princess once (and not in a mini-suite) but I did briefly hold a booking on  a Princess mini-suite.

A Princess mini-suite is the same width as a standard stateroom (although possibly longer), but Princess grill suites on Cunard (QM2, anyway) are 1.5 times the width of a regular stateroom and Queen's Grille suites are twice the width or larger.

52 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I've only been on Princess once (and not in a mini-suite) but I did briefly hold a booking on  a Princess mini-suite.

A Princess mini-suite is the same width as a standard stateroom (although possibly longer), but Princess grill suites on Cunard (QM2, anyway) are 1.5 times the width of a regular stateroom and Queen's Grille suites are twice the width or larger.

On the Vistas the PGs are very little wiser than the Britannia, though considerably longer. Once was enough. We've had QG ever since, for the more spacious, and much better shaped,  cabin. QM2 completely different.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:56 AM, tv24 said:

Spot the difference? 

This was our Princess Grill # 8076 on Queen Victoria earlier this year, ...

822504782_Stateroom80761.jpg.2d239dcb1c589cb3956b403b73dc0590.jpg

...and this our mini suite on Star Princess  # D211 the year before...

131110963_MiniSuiteD211Panoramic1.thumb.jpg.8dfa9d395367529aa0da5258b558cbdb.jpg

• Like 1

Richard has provided photographic evidence for the comparison to the Queen Victoria.  I'm sorry;  when I wrote my comment I was thinking of the Queen Mary 2 where the Princess Grille room is larger and more comfortable.

• Like 1

Looking at the statistics the princess grill cabin on QV/E and QM have exactly the same square footage 291sqft (exc balcony ) . However the QM cabin is squarer and looks to make better use of the space compared to the long thin QE/V Cabins. Also being squarer it will have a bigger balcony .

The princess line mini suites are given as a very similiar 277 sqft (exc balcony )

One other question. What I like in the morning is danish pastries or croissants and fresh strawberries. Lately the pastries on Princess have been very poor, some claim they no longer use butter. Strawberries have be have hard to get. They used to bring them to me every morning if I wrote them in on the breakfast card.

There are pastries, croissants and muffins each morning on Cunard, on the room service menu, in the Grllles restaurants, and in the buffet.  Same stuff every day.  Good, but definitely not five-star.  Berries are available as well.

3 hours ago, tv24 said:

There are pastries, croissants and muffins each morning on Cunard, on the room service menu, in the Grllles restaurants, and in the buffet.  Same stuff every day.  Good, but definitely not five-star.  Berries are available as well.

Does the Café Carinthia still do pastries in the morning?