Chile/Argentina cruise weather

BostonCruiserGuy

Hi, my wife and I are super excited for this cruise - we scored a rear-facing cabin!  Can someone with relevant experience tell me about the expected weather?  I assume there will be very different climates as we sail south and back north.  Ideally I'd love to know how many days to expect each for (1) summer-like weather, i.e. shorts and short sleeves; (2) fall-like weather, i.e. jeans and at most a light jacket; and (3) truly seasonal weather, i.e. layers to be flexible.  Well aware that things can change - mostly just interested in the likely distribution, in order to pack more effectively.  TIA!!   https://www.celebritycruises.com/itinerary-details/15-night-chile-and-argentina-cruise-from-san-antonio-chile?packageID=EC15F034&sDT=2019-12-06&cCD=CO

Itinerary map.png

1 hour ago, BostonCruiserGuy said:

Hi, my wife and I are super excited for this cruise - we scored a rear-facing cabin!  Can someone with relevant experience tell me about the expected weather?  I assume there will be very different climates as we sail south and back north.  Ideally I'd love to know how many days to expect each for (1) summer-like weather, i.e. shorts and short sleeves; (2) fall-like weather, i.e. jeans and at most a light jacket; and (3) truly seasonal weather, i.e. layers to be flexible.  Well aware that things can change - mostly just interested in the likely distribution, in order to pack more effectively.  TIA!!   https://www.celebritycruises.com/itinerary-details/15-night-chile-and-argentina-cruise-from-san-antonio-chile?packageID=EC15F034&sDT=2019-12-06&cCD=CO

Itinerary map.png

We did Rio to Lima from February through March of this year on Oceania.

December is summer in SA. If you're familiar with North American weather, just use the corresponding southern latitudes and you'll be able to figure out the norms.

That said, rounding the Horn can be interesting though unpredictable. And the ocean can get really rough down around the Falklands unless, of course, it's not.

IMG_6054.JPG

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

16 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

you'll be able to figure out the norms.

I just generally google, for example, "average temperatures in December in Rio de Janeiro."  The sites usually give average rain fall also.  And, of course, the farther south you go the cooler it gets.  But we were in Antarctica last year in January and we wore shorts on the ship.

There is a web site that you can go to and enter an itinerary and it gives you the high and low for every port on that itinerary.  Wish I could tell you the name of the web site but if I did, the "experts" on this site would crucify me, and proceed to tell me the rules.😲😲

Of course weather can vary, but this is what we experienced.

We did a similar route in Jan., 2018.  Buenos Aires and Montevideo were quite warm--80's  Puerto Madryn was 75-80; The Falklands we lucked out with 60ish weather, colder at Volunteer Point; Ushuaia was lovely 65-70; Cape Horn and Magellan Strait were quite cool--40's and windy.  Puerto Madryn was maybe 50's and very, very windy.  The Chilean Fjords were 50's.  Puerto Montt was lovely and 65 to 70.  San Antonio was quite warm, 80's.

You will probably need a wide variety of clothing.  We wore shorts in several ports, jeans in the southern most ports, and every type of top from tee shirts sweatshirts to sweaters to light jackets to down jackets.  We just layered as needed--for the Magellaln Straits I had on a fleece top, sweater, light jacket and down jacket (the kind that folds down to a small package).  I also used the hood that came with it and had gloves.

So, pack for almost any kind of weather and you will be good!  Layering is your friend.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2019 at 12:07 AM, Nebr.cruiser said:

Of course weather can vary, but this is what we experienced.

We did a similar route in Jan., 2018.  Buenos Aires and Montevideo were quite warm--80's  Puerto Madryn was 75-80; The Falklands we lucked out with 60ish weather, colder at Volunteer Point; Ushuaia was lovely 65-70; Cape Horn and Magellan Strait were quite cool--40's and windy.  Puerto Madryn was maybe 50's and very, very windy.  The Chilean Fjords were 50's.  Puerto Montt was lovely and 65 to 70.  San Antonio was quite warm, 80's.

You will probably need a wide variety of clothing.  We wore shorts in several ports, jeans in the southern most ports, and every type of top from tee shirts sweatshirts to sweaters to light jackets to down jackets.  We just layered as needed--for the Magellaln Straits I had on a fleece top, sweater, light jacket and down jacket (the kind that folds down to a small package).  I also used the hood that came with it and had gloves.

So, pack for almost any kind of weather and you will be good!  Layering is your friend.

Sounds like Alaska - thanks.  We booked a SA cruise for next December, and my wife and son will love to hear this.  Living in FL, we like to see some variation in weather.

Last year in February, Buenos Aires and Santiago were in the 80s. Puerto Madryn was in the 70s. Ushuaia was in the 50s. I was bundled up in everything I owned at Cape Horn. The Chilean Fjords were in the 50s.

The Falklands were interesting; walking around Stanley I was comfortable in jeans and long-sleeved shirt. When I got out to Volunteer Point, I was glad I had my rain jacket with me to cut the wind. 

On 8/28/2019 at 8:23 AM, Bizmark'sMom said:

The Chilean Fjords were in the 50s.

That's still shorts weather for me 🙂  We went to Antarctica last year and we both wore shorts most of the time we were on the ship.

We spent several weeks in South  America in Feb.  Plus the same cruise. We were in shorts for ll but a few days.  And on those days, (Chilean fjords) we wore jeans, layers of shirt, sweater, and wind jacket. It was cold-especially on deck with the wind blowing in our face.  It was cold on our balcony. But only for one day.   Falklands were cool but not bad.

I think past weather stats are only an indication.  Anything can happen...much like Alaska weather.  The two weeks  pre and post was all shorts and short sleeve shirts....Uruguay, Argentina, and Chile.  Ushuaia and P. Mont were both very warm and sunny.

In late December 2016/early January 2017 (the beginning of summer in South America) we cruised from Valparaiso (north of San Antonio) to Rio de Janiero.  These are the temps and weather conditions in the ports we stopped at:

Valparaiso - sunny, low 90s (wore a sundress).

Punta Arenas - mostly sunny, very windy, temps in high 50s (wore a warm windbreaker).

Ushuaia - sunny, wind picked up and ship was stuck at the dock for an extra 6 hours, highs maybe the mid-50s (wore a warm windbreaker).

Cape Horn - our circumnavigation was cancelled due to very high winds and high seas.  Didn't venture out to check the temps.

Falkland Islands - mostly cloudy, temps in the 50s, windy at Volunteer Point (we were lucky it had rained for 3 days before the day before our arrival) (wore a warm - and waterproof - windbreaker).

Buenos Aires - sunny, high 90s (wore a sundress).

Montevideo - sunny, mid 90s (wore a sundress).

Rio - sunny, high 111!!!! (wore a sundress).

Layers are key with the top layer(s) being warm and waterproof (although we didn't experience any rain it would be miserable to do so especially in the southernmost and windiest ports).

Edited by capriccio

• 5 weeks later...

A mixed bag. Summer, spring,  fall---blustery wind, rain, summer.

Santiago, around the Horn to Falklands, Uraguay ending in Buenos Aires.

Edited by dog