Hawaii cruise where do we clear customs

exbrit1941

We will be going on our first Princess /Hawaii cruise  next April and was wondering if anyone can tell me about customs after the stop in Mexico.Do we wait until San Francisco?or do they come on board before we reach port. The reason I am asking is because we will be booking a pick up at SF.and would like to get an idea of what time we should book.Thank you everyone for all the help you give on this board to us rookies.

I see no reason for US Customs and Immigration to send people abroad to check a ship docking in any of the regular large cruise ship ports.   It might be different if the first port of call in the USA was a small port lacking facilities like Whistler or Seward.

IF....big IF....but sometimes happens.  You will go to Ensenada first.  Then you will clear customs in Hilo (or first Hawaii port).  This is the pits since it will take time away from your port day.  

As I recall it was a cursory inspection in San Francisco at the dock.  You probably won't even notice it.  You can expect more of a delay fighting the crowds getting off the ship and the incoming traffic boarding for the next cattle call.  I'd say give yourself an hour buffer after your disembarkation time if it is after 8:30; more if it is before.  Traffic on the Embarcadero going to Pier 27 and leaving it will be your greatest obstacle.

4 hours ago, brisalta said:

You clear immigration and customs for re-entry at the cruise terminal in San Francisco.

It works that same way in LA/ San Pedro, after returning from a RT Hawaii cruise.

The ship has been in Ensenada the day before.  Then, after disembarking the ship in San Pedro, you talk to the customs guys in booths inside the terminal.  Sometimes there is a short wait in line, outside in a sheltered area, before you go in to see them.  I've done this more than a few times in San Pedro.

It works the same way on all cruises we have been on when it comes to US Customs and Immigration.  When the ship visits a foreign port (Ensenada in this case) then the first US port you arrive at, you will have to go through Customs/Immigration even if you will be going to further US ports.  To put it another way, all people entering the US from a foreign location must go through Customs/Immigration whether it be by ship, airplane or ground transportation.  

I don't understand all this discussion??

Immigration/customs is when you are back IN the USA.

We do lots of cruises to Mexico(not just a stop in Ensenada after Hawaii) and immigration /customs is when you debark from the ship in the USA whether it's San Francisco, LA, San Diego etc.

IF you travel from Florida to the islands of the Caribbean it will be again when you debark in Florida.

IF you are traveling the Med that's a different story but on a closed loop cruise starting in the USA immigration/customs is when you are back in the USA!

IF you are booking a car to pick you up they will wait for you. It will take a while for you to get off the ship before you even get to immigration.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, satxdiver said:

It works the same way on all cruises we have been on when it comes to US Customs and Immigration.  When the ship visits a foreign port (Ensenada in this case) then the first US port you arrive at, you will have to go through Customs/Immigration even if you will be going to further US ports.  To put it another way, all people entering the US from a foreign location must go through Customs/Immigration whether it be by ship, airplane or ground transportation.  

Excellent explanation!  Thank you.  

This is is a fine example of the useful nature of discussion, for those who seem to be in doubt🙂️🛳🌅🌊🌈🎆🌠🐳🌝😉

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MixerDave said:

I have friends sailing from Vancouver.  Their first stop is Hawaii.  What happens with customs in this case.  After the cruise the fly home to L.A.

You clear USA customs/immigration in Vancouver before you board the ship.

Even on a plane, Canada is different than other countries. It has USA pre clearance so that when you fly from Canada to the USA you do USA immigration/customs in Canada and then arrive in the USA as if you were on a domestic flight. There are a few other countries where this also occurs.

There are always a few exceptions to every rule!(LOL)

Edited by riffatsea

On 8/23/2019 at 7:25 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

IF....big IF....but sometimes happens.  You will go to Ensenada first.  Then you will clear customs in Hilo (or first Hawaii port).  This is the pits since it will take time away from your port day.  

Not always the case. We did a HI circle from LA over Christmas and New Year about 5 years ago. We actually cleared customs during our last sea day before arriving at Hilo. There were actually about 5 CBP officers on board (would have been a nice little jolly for them in the intervening sea days) and they processed the ship throughout various lounges according to one’s nationality. 

The bonus of this is that you arrive at San Pedro at the end of the cruise as a domestic arrival, so it’s a case of getting straight off the ship when your color is called.

2 hours ago, polmcs said:

Not always the case. We did a HI circle from LA over Christmas and New Year about 5 years ago. We actually cleared customs during our last sea day before arriving at Hilo. There were actually about 5 CBP officers on board (would have been a nice little jolly for them in the intervening sea days) and they processed the ship throughout various lounges according to one’s nationality. 

The bonus of this is that you arrive at San Pedro at the end of the cruise as a domestic arrival, so it’s a case of getting straight off the ship when your color is called.

You were lucky.  I had to wait for 3 hours to see a Customs Border Protection Officer when I docked in Honolulu (very long/unusual story).  She hadn't border until an hour AFTER I was told to report.  How did they get a custom's officer on board before Hilo?

On 8/25/2019 at 7:34 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

You were lucky.  I had to wait for 3 hours to see a Customs Border Protection Officer when I docked in Honolulu (very long/unusual story).  She hadn't border until an hour AFTER I was told to report.  How did they get a custom's officer on board before Hilo?

I’m guessing they boarded with us at San Pedro and had a few days of downtime on the cruise over to HI. Nice work if you can get it! 😉