Cell Service

Uncwrn93

Trying to decide how much Internet to purchase on our Princess cruise leaving Seattle on Sept 15th.  Since we stay fairly close to the land is there cell service on board?   I won't be online much but need to be able to be in contact in case of emergency during the cruise.

This question gets asked here frequently.

First of all, when you are close to land, that land is not always occupied, as Alaska is a huge state with very few people, and a lot of very remote area. So being near land doesn't mean having cell towers.

Secondly, sailing out of Seattle, the chances are very good you will go out to sea, not sail via the true Inside Passage, so, no, you won't really be near land a good chunk of time.

Lastly, much of your sailing time will be at night when you are likely to be asleep. So even if you had cell coverage (which is pretty unlikely), are you going to stay up at night to use it?

We did a 14 day Alaska cruise in June. Every port had great coverage on AT&T. Otherwise, our phone was on airplane mode.

• Like 1

With Verizon - when on the ship, I keep the phone in airplane mode until the ship docks. Otherwise I am charged $$$$. In port and when the ship is docked, I have good coverage.

Edited by Coral

Just got back from a week on the Joy.   Had service at every port but Victoria as I have ATT.    Never really needed service as we were moving.   To busy on the ship to worry about the internet.    But it was nice to have service almost every morning when we docked.  

So if you really don’t need to be in contact with anyone than I’d skip the internet packages and save some money.  Get your internet surfing done early and enjoy your vacation. 

Just sayin. 

I don't think you're going to be as close to land as you think.  This is a partial capture of our position two weeks ago.  And, as someone else said, even when you can see land, chances are it's a remote, uninhabited portion of northern Vancouver Island, Haidi Gwaii, or uninhabited islands in the Alexander Archipelago.

20190901_123933.jpg

• 10 months later...
On 8/24/2019 at 7:48 PM, masterdrago said:

What I found when we were on our 16 day trip in May.... Verizon

cell coverage alaska.jpg

Thinking of switching to Verizon as cell phone carrier.  We will be going to many of the ports you posted cell reception on --- thanks for that information.  With regard to Icy Strait, what does"1X" mean?

I am in Alaska now and have noticed a problem getting service. A friend of mine who works for a communication co. up here says they are getting cell towers ready for 5g and this could be the reason. In the past I have never had a problem. I have Verizon service.

2 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

I am in Alaska now and have noticed a problem getting service. A friend of mine who works for a communication co. up here says they are getting cell towers ready for 5g and this could be the reason. In the past I have never had a problem. I have Verizon service.

Thank you.  I have done a little research on Verizon coverage and it seems to be ok (from what I have read and seen on various websites).  One of my biggest concerns is coverage in Icy Strait/Hoonah as we have a favorite vendor that we often use for whale watching and I wanted to ensure that she could get a hold of me if needed. 

22 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Thinking of switching to Verizon as cell phone carrier.  We will be going to many of the ports you posted cell reception on --- thanks for that information.  With regard to Icy Strait, what does"1X" mean?

Icy Strait Point had one cell tower for the whole town. When a ship arrives with 2000-5000 passengers the signal degrades because everyone is using it. It works, it just slow. That was my experience in May 2019 with Verizon. I ate lunch with a local bear guide and he told me the towns internet  suffered when ships were in port.

A-

24 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Icy Strait Point had one cell tower for the whole town. When a ship arrives with 2000-5000 passengers the signal degrades because everyone is using it. It works, it just slow. That was my experience in May 2019 with Verizon. I ate lunch with a local bear guide and he told me the towns internet  suffered when ships were in port.

A-

Thanks, Alan.  We usually book with Glacier Wind and I wanted to make sure that Teresa could get a hold of us if need be. 

2 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Thanks, Alan.  We usually book with Glacier Wind and I wanted to make sure that Teresa could get a hold of us if need be. 

They will be in the lot early; or email works

• Like 1