New York - Have I missed something

Corfe Mixture

We are visiting New York, berthing in Manhattan for two days on Princess. 

My first thoughts were to look at doing a 6 hour ship’s tour on day one to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty followed by an evening night coach tour of four hours.

Then use the Hoho on day two.

Cost of tours $129.99 to Ellis / Liberty plus $69.99 for night 

BUT

Looking at Gray’s HoHo, I can get a two day Hoho ticket Downtown (thereby stopping at Battery ferry terminal for Ellis / Liberty), Uptown and Brooklyn routes for $59.00 which includes a non-Hoho night tour.

My question is that it seems that I can do everything I want for $59 plus the cost of the Liberty ferry / Ellis / Liberty admission.

I know I will need to walk to the Gray line terminal which I think isa couple of blocks from Manhattan cruise terminal which I don’t see as a problem.

Even given the need to walk to the Gray line stop, the difference seems ridiculous, so my question is:

Am I missing something? 

I can get a ticket which includes entry to three attractions, including Ellis / Liberty but doesn’t say if that includes ferry for $144.00 but I’ll think about that option after I have worked out if I am missing something by not taking the ship’s tour.

Thanks in advance 

CM

Edited by Corfe Mixture

You can usually do anything on shore for less yourself than doing it through the ship-- overall the ship's tours are total ripoffs. The only time I think they bring any value to the equation is when you have limited time in a port and would stand a reasonable chance of missing the ship if you did it on your own. Sounds like that isnt the case here with the overnight-- do it on your own!

2 hours ago, Corfe Mixture said:

We are visiting New York, berthing in Manhattan for two days on Princess. 

My first thoughts were to look at doing a 6 hour ship’s tour on day one to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty followed by an evening night coach tour of four hours.

Then use the Hoho on day two.

Cost of tours $129.99 to Ellis / Liberty plus $69.99 for night 

BUT

Looking at Gray’s HoHo, I can get a two day Hoho ticket Downtown (thereby stopping at Battery ferry terminal for Ellis / Liberty), Uptown and Brooklyn routes for $59.00 which includes a non-Hoho night tour.

My question is that it seems that I can do everything I want for $59 plus the cost of the Liberty ferry / Ellis / Liberty admission.

I know I will need to walk to the Gray line terminal which I think isa couple of blocks from Manhattan cruise terminal which I don’t see as a problem.

Even given the need to walk to the Gray line stop, the difference seems ridiculous, so my question is:

Am I missing something? 

I can get a ticket which includes entry to three attractions, including Ellis / Liberty but doesn’t say if that includes ferry for $144.00 but I’ll think about that option after I have worked out if I am missing something by not taking the ship’s tour.

Thanks in advance 

CM

You can call or e-mail the office of NYC tourism and get a lot of suggestions.

Several years ago I planned an Elementary school reunion for alum who had not been in NYC for more than 50 years.They were very helpful with touring info.

Thanks guys,

You gave me good pointers to the way ahead.

Decision almost made. Do my own thing and get a two day hoho ticket, with night city tour, and a ferry ticket from Battery Pier. 

Only question now is do I use the subway to save time when going to Battery Pier, but that can wait until the day.

CM

1 hour ago, Corfe Mixture said:

Only question now is do I use the subway to save time when going to Battery Pier, but that can wait until the day.

IMO, as someone that doesn't live in the city but has visited, I enjoy using the subway.  It's cheap and can be relatively easy.  Bowling Green is within Battery Park (near the intersection of Battery Pl. and State St.) or you could get off near the WTC site and walk down the Hudson River Greenway.  While that second option may be a little more walking than some want to do, it might allow you to grab some food along the way or just experience that part of the city if you're able to make the walk.

Are you looking at the HOHO as transportation, or for the tour value?

The Uptown loop is generally very good. Less traffic, arguably fewer sights, and you cover territory that's not easy to cover otherwise.

The Downtown loop puts you in a very large surface vehicle in some of the worst urban traffic in the world. If you're just looking to go from A to B, especially from Times Square to Battery Park, you probably want to take the subway. From Central Park to Battery Park, I'd suggest picking places you really want to see, and then look seriously at your HOHO route. You'll likely want to walk, subway, etc., for part of that route. But, look at what you want to do and compare it to the route! And if the 2 day ticket is affordable enough, get it anyway and recognize you'll skip part of that route and narration.

I've never done the night tour, but have always heard good things about it.

Is it confirmed you will be berthing in Manhattan? Princess is always in Brooklyn (Red Hook). 

Yes definitely book your SOL tix in advance!

There are boat tours that take you up to Statue if Liberty for photo ops but you don’t actually get off the boat. This saves you time if you want to see other sites in lower Manhattan while you’re there. 

I believe the “Circle Line” offers various night tours. Google them. 

44 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Is it confirmed you will be berthing in Manhattan? Princess is always in Brooklyn (Red Hook). 

Yes definitely book your SOL tix in advance!

There are boat tours that take you up to Statue if Liberty for photo ops but you don’t actually get off the boat. This saves you time if you want to see other sites in lower Manhattan while you’re there. 

I believe the “Circle Line” offers various night tours. Google them. 

The OP said the ship will be in NY for two days, which tells me it's a port call, and that almost certainly means they'll be berthed in Manhattan. Princess normally uses Manhattan for port calls and Brooklyn for home porting. Probably they're on the Sapphire Princess, which is listed to be in Manhattan  in late September.

The ONLY company to buy SoL tickets from is statuecruises.com

They are the sole provider of transportation to the Statue of Liberty and to Ellis Island.

There may be other companies who buy and resell their tickets, but they are the only ones who can land on the islands.

You need to book VERY early if you want to go to the crown, you need to book early for other island access.

You can go from the southern tip of Manhattan or from New Jersey, they offer both choices.  NJ sells out more slowly than NYC access does.

On 8/24/2019 at 3:09 PM, Corfe Mixture said:

Decision almost made. Do my own thing and get a two day hoho ticket, with night city tour, and a ferry ticket from Battery Pier. 

Personally, I would avoid the HOHO, even on your own.  You will likely spend as much time sitting in traffic as you will seeing sights.  Decide what you really want to see and do.  Then use the subway (cheap and efficient) to cover long distances, walk for short distance between subway stops and actual destinations, and keep in mind that cabs and Ubers are plentiful for any distances in between.  You can google the website for the NY subway system and it has a route planner feature where you can enter your starting point and your destination and it will tell you the subway line and departure time you need to take, including any transfers, as well as walking directions to the departure station that is recommended, and walking directions from the destination stop to your actual destination.  

Thank you everyone for your very informative replies. 

Although I have visited NY on business (literally one night whilst passing through), and am familiar with the subway, we have never been as tourists.  

Ship is selling a night tour for $69 and our two day three route hoho costs $59 including a night tour and so I have decided to get a hoho ticket (for sight seeing value) but use the subway, or walk, as appropriate.

As many of you have indicated no chance of Crown (fully booked to end of November) or Pedestal (just a couple of days in October then plenty of availability in November).

As NY is our first port of call in US, rather expecting some delays getting off the ship and so have booked an 11h00 ferry.

Again many thanks everyone.

CM

On 8/26/2019 at 9:11 AM, Corfe Mixture said:

our two day three route hoho costs $59 including a night tour and so I have decided to get a hoho ticket (for sight seeing value) but use the subway, or walk, as appropriate.

If the HOHO includes actual admission at some places you plan to visit, then sure, get the ticket, just don't necessarily rely on the buses to actually get you from place to place.  (which I think is what you're saying your plan is)

22 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

If the HOHO includes actual admission at some places you plan to visit, then sure, get the ticket, just don't necessarily rely on the buses to actually get you from place to place.  (which I think is what you're saying your plan is)

No, not using the hoho tickets which include admission, simply see it as an easy, albeit slow, way to get to see the sights - all for less than the cruise ship charges for a night time non-hoho tour, which is included in our hoho ticket so mentally, for us, it is a night tour with two days free hoho thrown in (rather than the other way round)

Accept it will be slow but this is not something that will worry us when we are sightseeing and, if I need to get somewhere quickly, I will simply take the subway as you suggest. 

Seems to me that, thanks to the various replies I now have a win-win situation.

Night tour for less than the ship charges, thereby creating my break even point (though I could just purchase a night tour and save a few dollars). 

Ability to use the hoho whenever I want during our two day stay

AND

Ability to make use of the excellent advice on here about getting around efficiently when getting from A to B is the objective.

Many thanks everyone

CM