summt pool pipes broke.

LA_CA_GAL

Just now, vtcruising said:

So sad!  I feel for all those people affected on this cruise and potentially future cruisers. 🙁

So do i. We all face every day problems when we are not on vacation. But when your on vacation you want your week to be stress free. I am sure the crew will get the problem fixed 

• Like 1

On board now

Ran into someone effected by the broken pipe from the smaller pool above there cabin. They are on deck nine. Happened around midnight with approximately 3 inches of water on there cabin floor . I am on deck 8 and walked on squishy carpet in hallway 

pool is still empty 

Oh my goodness, this is so awful!  I was on the May 26 cruise of the Summit in an odd-numbered cabin on the 9th deck between the midship elevators and the forward elevators, and I wonder if that cabin was one of those that were flooded.  I know that I would have been extremely upset if the flooding had occurred while I was on the ship, especially very soon after the ship was revolutionized, and I feel so bad for the people whose cabins got flooded.  I certainly hope that Celebrity does right by them.

1 hour ago, registrar said:

On board now

Ran into someone effected by the broken pipe from the smaller pool above there cabin. They are on deck nine. Happened around midnight with approximately 3 inches of water on there cabin floor . I am on deck 8 and walked on squishy carpet in hallway 

pool is still empty 

Sorry for all those effected.  We are boarding tomorrow  on deck 8.  Hopefully they will be able to get things repaired by tomorrow so no one else needs to have their plans ruined.  We are aft on 8 so I don't believe our room is involved.

An earlier post stated the pool had reopened.  Did the pipes fail again, or did they just close as you are heading into port.  

Any idea if they are going to get to port early to allow the repairs to get started?

Edited by keep on cruisin

15 hours ago, registrar said:

On board now

pool is still empty 

Be creative and have your own flow rider/slip and slide surf rider. Why should those on RC ships have all the fun.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Maybe they should have spent more money on crucial systems and less on nonfunctional design?

Just got off the summit.  According to the captain, this was not a maintenance issue.  They  were pvc pipes. 

We saw rooms with mattresses, furniture and carpets outside.  I could be wrong but maybe the interior rooms around the midship elevators on deck 9.  I wondered where the heck did all those people go?  Big fans were in place drying out the rooms.  I wasn't aware that it seeped down to the lower floors but it stands to reason as one gentleman said he had 3 inches of water in his room.  

13 hours ago, Litaross said:

Does anybody know which Staterooms are affected?

So sorry for those whose clothing, shoes,, tech items, etc are likely ruined...guess we'll use more plastic packing pouches in the future...We have lived through lesser floods on Royal ships twice..one was new and one older...the fans went all day long...very musty !

We'd like a list too...  We are  booked for May 2920 but would like to know where the affected  stateroom numbers. Hope we also learn what caused the breakage,  

For now,  hope cruisers can be re-settled... and assisted!

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

So sorry for those whose clothing, shoes,, tech items, etc are likely ruined...guess we'll use more plastic packing pouches in the future...We have lived through lesser floods on Royal ships twice..one was new and one older...the fans went all day long...very musty !

We'd like a list too...  We are  booked for May 2920 but would like to know where the affected  stateroom numbers. Hope we also learn what caused the breakage,  

For now,  hope cruisers can be re-settled... and assisted!

Imagine the losses. I wonder if Celebrity will pony up or push it to people's homeowner's.

Have never thought of broken pipes being a flood issue and something to think of...

Since you have BTDT..what's your best advice for those of us uninitiated? Do you keep things in packing cubes?

We have laptop on desk and hanging stuff... Something like this to DHs laptop would impact biz not just personal

We do keep alot of our stuff in plastic pouches, and use dry cleaner bags as drawer liners,  and  for covering some of our  clothing  in the closet.  Now I am thinking of buying some plastic packing pouches for some clothing...not sure how to protect shoes...or electronics other than their own cases.

I'd be curious to hear how the water entered the rooms - was it running down the walls or ???    It doesn't seem that every surface/drawer/shelf in the cabins would normally be affected unless it was a real deluge.    We had a major issue once when a toilet overflowed (lots, not just a little!), but we heard/saw it start and quickly got shoes and other items up off the floor and avoided any real damage.   It was amazing how quickly they got the carpets shampooed and dried in that case, but how many fans do they have onboard when multiple cabins are involved?    

We're on the Summit in less than a month, on Deck 9 Aqua Class, so also would like to hear which cabins were affected.   

Edited by Kartgv

You could bring along some damp rid which absorbs  room and closet moisture and maybe ( ? ) small dehumidifier

.  I would let the Special Needs office know of your situation..so you can  avoid any areas that are  still  affected.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lolane1 said:

Just got off the summit.  According to the captain, this was not a maintenance issue.  They  were pvc pipes. 

We saw rooms with mattresses, furniture and carpets outside.  I could be wrong but maybe the interior rooms around the midship elevators on deck 9.  I wondered where the heck did all those people go?  Big fans were in place drying out the rooms.  I wasn't aware that it seeped down to the lower floors but it stands to reason as one gentleman said he had 3 inches of water in his room.  

Thanks for posting this.  Hopefully this post will quiet the people who want to blame the new KH designs instead of seeing this as just being an unfortunate accident.  I think Celebrity (and Royal Caribbean) go above and beyond to keep their ships properly maintained, but things do happen.  Prayers for everyone who had to deal with this unfortunate situation.  

Edited by meechee341
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fogfog said:

Imagine the losses. I wonder if Celebrity will pony up or push it to people's homeowner's.

Have never thought of broken pipes being a flood issue and something to think of...

Since you have BTDT..what's your best advice for those of us uninitiated? Do you keep things in packing cubes?

We have laptop on desk and hanging stuff... Something like this to DHs laptop would impact biz not just personal

I'm pretty sure my Homeowner's doesn't cover a cruise line pipe burst. I do buy travel insurance but even with that why should the insurance company cover for damage caused by the cruise lines neglect. The cruise line must be covered by insurance.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kartgv said:

I'd be curious to hear how the water entered the rooms - was it running down the walls or ???    It doesn't seem that every surface/drawer/shelf in the cabins would normally be affected unless it was a real deluge.    We had a major issue once when a toilet overflowed (lots, not just a little!), but we heard/saw it start and quickly got shoes and other items up off the floor and avoided any real damage.   It was amazing how quickly they got the carpets shampooed and dried in that case, but how many fans do they have onboard when multiple cabins are involved?    

We're on the Summit in less than a month, on Deck 9 Aqua Class, so also would like to hear which cabins were affected.   

There is typically 2-3 feet above the ceiling in your cabin to the steel deck above.  In this space are wiring runs, plumbing, and ventilation ducts.  The pool piping would run over a number of cabins from the pool equipment room to the various pools and hot tubs.  The cabin ceiling is not watertight, so any leak from a pipe above would simply rain down where all those grooves in the ceiling panels join the various panels together.

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm pretty sure my Homeowner's doesn't cover a cruise line pipe burst. I do buy travel insurance but even with that why should the insurance company cover for damage caused by the cruise lines neglect. The cruise line must be covered by insurance.

While you are correct about homeowner's insurance, and I can't speak for travel insurance, how do you know this was "cruise line neglect"?  The high levels of chlorine required to be maintained in pools and hot tubs will cause embrittlement in plastic pipes, and these can fail at any time, without warning.

And, you are correct, that the cruise line has insurance, but "P&I" (property and indemnity) insurance, which would cover this type of incident, is a mutual insurance coverage, so the cruise line, along with the other shipping companies in the "P&I Club" will pay for this out of their premiums, and the premiums are set by the historical amount of claims the members have.

• Like 3