Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
LA_CA_GAL

summt pool pipes broke.

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

There is typically 2-3 feet above the ceiling in your cabin to the steel deck above.  In this space are wiring runs, plumbing, and ventilation ducts.  The pool piping would run over a number of cabins from the pool equipment room to the various pools and hot tubs.  The cabin ceiling is not watertight, so any leak from a pipe above would simply rain down where all those grooves in the ceiling panels join the various panels together.

While you are correct about homeowner's insurance, and I can't speak for travel insurance, how do you know this was "cruise line neglect"?  The high levels of chlorine required to be maintained in pools and hot tubs will cause embrittlement in plastic pipes, and these can fail at any time, without warning.

 

And, you are correct, that the cruise line has insurance, but "P&I" (property and indemnity) insurance, which would cover this type of incident, is a mutual insurance coverage, so the cruise line, along with the other shipping companies in the "P&I Club" will pay for this out of their premiums, and the premiums are set by the historical amount of claims the members have.

Neglect was a poor choice of words for lack of another word. The incident didn’t happen at home and even if my policy covered it my company would no doubt make a claim towards the cruise line to recoup my deductible and restore my premium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Neglect was a poor choice of words for lack of another word. The incident didn’t happen at home and even if my policy covered it my company would no doubt make a claim towards the cruise line to recoup my deductible and restore my premium.

No worries, and you are correct, subrogation would lead to the cruise line paying anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

 

I doubt the Summit will even be sailing in May 2920.

Oops... careless tablet typing....2020 obviously!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

There is typically 2-3 feet above the ceiling in your cabin to the steel deck above.  In this space are wiring runs, plumbing, and ventilation ducts.  The pool piping would run over a number of cabins from the pool equipment room to the various pools and hot tubs.  The cabin ceiling is not watertight, so any leak from a pipe above would simply rain down where all those grooves in the ceiling panels join the various panels together.

While you are correct about homeowner's insurance, and I can't speak for travel insurance, how do you know this was "cruise line neglect"?  The high levels of chlorine required to be maintained in pools and hot tubs will cause embrittlement in plastic pipes, and these can fail at any time, without warning.

 

And, you are correct, that the cruise line has insurance, but "P&I" (property and indemnity) insurance, which would cover this type of incident, is a mutual insurance coverage, so the cruise line, along with the other shipping companies in the "P&I Club" will pay for this out of their premiums, and the premiums are set by the historical amount of claims the members have.

 

Thanks for explanation of what  may be above our  ceilings on a cruise ship..

Will we ever know what failed? And why?

Do they routinely replace these lines/ pipes to make sure they are fresh?

 

And to  any affected folks on board...how is it working out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hcat said:

 

Thanks for explanation of what  may be above our  ceilings on a cruise ship..

Will we ever know what failed? And why?  No, typically there is no report for a minor failure like this.  Minor to the company and regulatory bodies, not minor to the passengers.

Do they routinely replace these lines/ pipes to make sure they are fresh?  No, when they leak, they get replaced.  There are hundreds of miles of piping on ships.

 

And to  any affected folks on board...how is it working out?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When did you last replace the pipes in your home to ensure they are fresh?    I have never heard of replacing pipes to keep them fresh.   Is this something that is done in Britain or Europe?   We would have to remove the interior walls and ceilings to refresh the pipes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought perhaps that with the refurb they might change out pools and systems leading to them.  On Infinity, our AC and hallway AC failed quite a bit,..in the end many of the parts were brand new or refurbished,.. On Radiance Class they had to replace sanitary system  pipes due to many  leaks,..

 

And specifically to answer your question, we  are not in Europe but  just replaced / upgraded old pipes for our septic system in NY,  and  hoses for our irrigation system. Many  properties in Florida undergo what is called " re-piping" in older homes which were built with old material.  It is expensive but necessary.

 

Where is Cove Point?

Edited by hcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

When did you last replace the pipes in your home to ensure they are fresh?    I have never heard of replacing pipes to keep them fresh.   Is this something that is done in Britain or Europe?   We would have to remove the interior walls and ceilings to refresh the pipes.

The only pipes replaced in my house are the tub/shower plumbing when the bathroom was gutted. Everything else is 66 yr old copper pipes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

 

Ironically, pools were open boarding day but closed first sea day due to heaven seas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy do I feel bad for all effected and I hope you receive adequate compensation.

This reminds me of our second cruise on the Millennium. It was only a couple months in to service (2001?) and they had plumbing issues. From what I learned it was all in the public areas. I remember going to one of the bars and seeing water falling down the back wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were also on this sailing and disembarked yesterday. Knew nothing about the issue until Saturday evening when I was told  directly by a passenger who was in one of the impacted cabins that they were receiving a 50% refund on the sailing plus 50% off a future cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 2:10 AM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Maybe they should have spent more money on crucial systems and less on nonfunctional design?

I agree- Happy- I so agree! IMO they " killed" the Millenium Class of ships- and they started with geting rid of Milli- class´s Spec. Restaurants!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, hcat said:

Oops... careless tablet typing....2020 obviously!

 

I still have a cruise with Celebrity booked for 2039, only 7000 days to go, so you never know.

Edited by dkjretired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 4:58 PM, Fogfog said:

 Something like this to DHs laptop would impact biz not just personal

OMG... My clothes and stuff no problem but the computer for the same reason... I'd have a stoke. I bring it to keep our business going, while we cruise. OY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bboop51 said:

OMG... My clothes and stuff no problem but the computer for the same reason... I'd have a stoke. I bring it to keep our business going, while we cruise. OY.

Mentioned this incident to DH as we have B2B coming up...that he be sure its updated. His machine updates to the cloud - however you never know. I would guess we'd be checking both homeowners and biz insurance to see what to do if the laptop etc was damaged.  All that chlorine etc in the pool water would wreck clothing as well. 

Such a shame

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

Mentioned this incident to DH as we have B2B coming up...that he be sure its updated. His machine updates to the cloud - however you never know. I would guess we'd be checking both homeowners and biz insurance to see what to do if the laptop etc was damaged.  All that chlorine etc in the pool water would wreck clothing as well. 

Such a shame

 

On our last cruise (on the Summit) the person assigned to help with new app said she could me with my internet connection issues.  There was nobody available at what is left for a computer area. She proceeded to wipe out all my saved logins.  I am always a girl scouts who is prepared for anything... except this trip where I neglected to bring my little password book.  A full blown nightmare ensued. It took a day and half and all kinds of crazy stuff to get just my basic business stuff I needed.  I take partial responsibility.  But WTH was she doing that she wiped out all my saved logins/passwords.  I know I digressed... sorry. But on that note. The closes can be replaced (mostly) but not so sure about all the stuff on the computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bboop51 said:

On our last cruise (on the Summit) the person assigned to help with new app said she could me with my internet connection issues.  There was nobody available at what is left for a computer area. She proceeded to wipe out all my saved logins.  I am always a girl scouts who is prepared for anything... except this trip where I neglected to bring my little password book.  A full blown nightmare ensued. It took a day and half and all kinds of crazy stuff to get just my basic business stuff I needed.  I take partial responsibility.  But WTH was she doing that she wiped out all my saved logins/passwords.  I know I digressed... sorry. But on that note. The closes can be replaced (mostly) but not so sure about all the stuff on the computer.

THAT is crazy and honestly ridiculous! Clearly she was incompetent! Hope you reported it to the powers that be.

Passwords are a nightmare to begin with... Hate that we have to routinely change them and then add characters etc...  Have run through many that some are now irrelevant and I have to look them up because they aren't instinctive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

THAT is crazy and honestly ridiculous! Clearly she was incompetent! Hope you reported it to the powers that be.

Passwords are a nightmare to begin with... Hate that we have to routinely change them and then add characters etc...  Have run through many that some are now irrelevant and I have to look them up because they aren't instinctive

Yes Fogfog, funny you should mention that.  I did report it and I got a shoulder shrug and the response "she didn't do it on purpose."  I LOVE the Summit. However, I find their customer service folks seriously lacking (as opposed to the rest of the staff.)  I pick my battles on vacation.  I was not a happy camper.  I muddled through.  It was a lesson learned. Unfortunately, the Summit has eliminated our seven day cruises to Bermuda, so who knows when we'll be enjoying their company again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 7:09 PM, TXranchgal said:

We are scheduled to be on the Summit sailing Sept 8th.  I have severe asthma.  If they are just drying the carpets and leaving the old carpet down, I am concerned about what it will do to those of us that are air sensitive.  

 

From what we saw on deck 9, the carpets were all ripped out and rolls of new carpet were waiting to be put down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate new carpet smell...but beats mildew, wet rug smell...

Glad they are working quickly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My DH, DD and I were in one of the affected cabins on Deck 8, port, midship.  What a mess.  So many rooms flooded. The Summit staff worked very diligently around the clock to try to make repairs.  Only a limited number of wet dry vacs and dryers.  Multiple cabins having carpeting replaced, etc.  Our carpet was still wet when we disembarked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did they put all the people whose cabins were flooded?  So sorry for you all that your cruise had to end this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How were your clothes shoes, luggage and other personal belongings.  Were they damaged?   What about mattresses?

 

What cabin were you in and can you describe what parts of the cabin were affected...walls, floors,  ac vents, bathroom, TV  etc,.,?   Hallways?

 

Hope you managed to enjoy the cruise...sounds like a mini nightmare!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...