Which wil be the deciding factor for you to stop cruising: Health/Wealth or Both?

SmoothFlying

21 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I think ultimately health would stop most people from travelling. However having money can extend your travel as you can pay for upper class flights and services that can help with health related issues. I know of a woman in her 80s who has some severe mobility issues and she was able to work with a travel company that makes arrangements to help with her mobility issue while overseas. She even managed to travel to Tanzania because of them. But eventually ones health can become so impaired even these services can't help, unless of course you had the money to afford a private jet😉.

Well, ultimately health will STOP us from doing anything. True, it will come in very small increments of time. But on this website I have lived in awe, over the years at the sheer fight people will go to (scooters, walkers, any physical disabilities, etc) not to give in.. To fight mother nature and father time, all the while, knowing...😨 Many many times, espically this week, I've read every post of these sweet ,daunting souls, and have wondered IF i would have 1/10 of that same brave courage to fight like that. I guess we don't know till we're faced that situation. To all who have posted  their fight to continue to travel, espically the love of cruising, I salute you and pray you continue.as long as health and wealth allow. WIND and SUNSHINE in you face and deep blue water below your feet.

Mac 

• Like 3

On 8/26/2019 at 11:38 AM, Warm Breezes said:

before health permanently stops us

How you've lived sounds a lot like us.  No debt makes a huge difference, doesn't it?  And  when we can no longer go it on our own, we're going to be able to then spend $100k/yr. on a snazzy senior living place 🙂  Congratulations.

52 minutes ago, clo said:

How you've lived sounds a lot like us.  No debt makes a huge difference, doesn't it?  And  when we can no longer go it on our own, we're going to be able to then spend $100k/yr. on a snazzy senior living place 🙂  Congratulations.

Of course, regardless of how “snazzy”, I would hope to always be able to escape such a gilded cage every once in a while.

p.s. Did you ever watch that BBC show “Waiting for God”?

18 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

p.s. Did you ever watch that BBC show “Waiting for God”?

No.  I'll see if I can find it.  (I have to be careful to not 'hijack'.  It seems that this particular topic was verboten.)

Some of DW's relatives wonder why we can afford to travel/cruise as much as we do.  It was quite straightforward.  We worked hard and lived below our income for most of our life.  We never incurred any consumer debt, we could care less about keeping up with the Jone's, and we typically keep our vehicles for 15-20 years.  It was pretty easy really.  Plus, medical cost are not an issue where we live.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iancal said:

Some of DW's relatives wonder why we can afford to travel/cruise as much as we do.  It was quite straightforward.  We worked hard and lived below our income for most of our life.  We never incurred any consumer debt, we could care less about keeping up with the Jone's, and we typically keep our vehicles for 15-20 years.  It was pretty easy really.  Plus, medical cost are not an issue where we live.

That sounds like us. Hubby was in the last hiring group at his employer to get good medical insurance. When we were in our early 30s, we bought and paid off a long-term care policy, so if we ever need a nursing or memory care home, it will be fully paid for.

We have lived a lower middle class life style on a middle class income, maxing out deferred compensation contributions (like a 401(k)) every year since our late 20s, and squirreling away as much post-tax income as we could into savings and investments.

We've never cared about having the latest "stuff," I'm not a jewelry person, and our newest vehicle is five years old. It replaced one that was 17 years old and was a lemon whose 4th transmission was dying. Honda wouldn't pay to put another one in, so we finally replaced it. 

As for consumer debt, I suppose we are grateful for people who are willing to accrue it. We like our cash back and airline points. We charge everything we can and pay it off monthly. I tell people that I can't afford to make minimum or even partial payments. Why would I want to pay for something I ate six years after I can't even remember it?

So far, the kids are following in our footsteps. The 24 year-old maxes out his deferred compensation and puts a little more away each paycheck. He's a teacher in Montana, so his income is minuscule, but he's trying. the 20 year-old college student lives at home and works part-time (making far more per hour in fast food than her teacher brother with two degrees does). She bought a used car for cash and opened an investment account with $5000 at 19, adding $100 each paycheck. She's definitely ahead of where we were at her age. She plans to open a 401(k) on her 21st birthday. The 17 year-old is starting to build up savings as well. 

We lived well below our means in our 20s, 30s, and 40s. Now, I'm 52 and Hubby is 55, a few weeks from retiring, and we will spend our 50s, 60s, and70s (maybe beyond) enjoying the consequences of our actions. Of course, being fortunate enough to actually have a pension helps tremendously. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, iancal said:

It was the same for us.   I had a lot of medical issues over the years going on short term disability 4 times including 2 times for maternity leave and the other 2 times for over 4 months each but I always had excellent medical insurance through DH’s employer and short term disability insurance through my employer which made my medical care affordable.

• 2 weeks later...

DH and I have never been wealthy and will not be wealthy in retirement either (DH is already semi-retired). We travel as much as we can while we have each other and our health.  We have learned what things we can economize on and not greatly affect our overall experience and when it's important to spend a little more. We are looking forward to my retirement for the flexibility it will allow. Our jobs have always operated on the academic calendar, so we have only been able to do land vacations and  cruise at "high dollar" times. After we're both retired, we'll be able to take advantage of off-peak prices and last-minute cruise specials. We also will have more time to spend with grandchildren and visit friends and family across the country.

10 minutes ago, simplelife said:

DH and I have never been wealthy and will not be wealthy in retirement either (DH is already semi-retired). We travel as much as we can while we have each other and our health.  We have learned what things we can economize on and not greatly affect our overall experience and when it's important to spend a little more. We are looking forward to my retirement for the flexibility it will allow. Our jobs have always operated on the academic calendar, so we have only been able to do land vacations and  cruise at "high dollar" times. After we're both retired, we'll be able to take advantage of off-peak prices and last-minute cruise specials. We also will have more time to spend with grandchildren and visit friends and family across the country.

That's about the same for most everybody ( I think)  of our generation- i.e. 'baby boomers' . My wife just retired the last of June and I retired a bit earlier at 63 (six years ago when my company came out with an early retirement package) so while we don't have any pressing bills, the one thing we, as everybody is facing, is the ticking clock😨.That combined with the possible health problems that  could arise will cause us to decide what we can and cannot do further on down the line.

Mac