Boarding time changed in Galveston?

Maggiepie

Wondering if anyone is aware of time changes for checking in to Galveston?  We finally hit our 90 day mark and my husband went in to select first available time minutes after midnight.  Earliest available was 12-12:30.  In the past first available was 10:30-11.  Just curious if they have pushed back the boarding time selections to prevent people from getting to the terminal too early, causing bottle-necks with passengers disembarking.  

• Like 1

And tho

1 hour ago, Maggiepie said:

Thanks.  Guess I was wondering if they were holding back, even platinum, to 12:00

And those aren’t boarding times, those are Appointment Arrival (check in times). The ships continue to open boarding when they are cleared. But since you are Platinum, you still have to pick your check in time, but can arrive whenever you want.

From my experience lately from Galveston, I believe they've moved the check in times later due to the number of priority (diamond/platinum/FTTF/Suite) cruisers they've been getting.  I was told that by someone who works in the port and I know how subjective that is, but it makes sense... there are so many priority cruisers checking in between 10 & 11 that it was overwhelming the check in process so they hold it back at least an hour so the priority guests have waned a bit. Then they start allowing the folks with a scheduled check in time to enter the port building.

In reality it's more about people getting off the ship. 

People getting on and off are in the same terminal, just different areas. With the Vista and Dream sailing with the full 4800 plus, they could not get them off the ship and out of the building as fast as they were allowing people in. It started with the Breeze, they would send an email to any one with a noon or earlier check in time to come one hour later. It appears they have finally adjusted the online times to match the reality of what to expect.

And priority folks can't go onboard whenever they wish. After boarding begins, and after wedding parties, then they may. 

For our last cruise, we turned Platinum.  When I went to check in online the first day that I could,  the only slot available was 12:30-1:00.  I guessed that because I could actually enter at any time that they just assigned a random slot to us.  We got to the port a little after 11:30 and walked right on the ship.  Never did get to see the Captain's lounge.  🤔

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

For our last cruise, we turned Platinum.  When I went to check in online the first day that I could,  the only slot available was 12:30-1:00.  I guessed that because I could actually enter at any time that they just assigned a random slot to us.  We got to the port a little after 11:30 and walked right on the ship.  Never did get to see the Captain's lounge.  🤔

That's exactly the reason they can move those arrival times to later, they are so fast now at getting people through the check in process.

Is there some reason I’m unaware of that priority passengers go online at the first possible moment to claim a checkin time? Is it just to tie up all the early spots so everyone else has to wait or what? If the assumption is correct that the earliest spot times change dependent on number of priority passengers, then those time are expected to be claimed by non priority. Cruise line knows the average passenger load at the terminal at any given time.

21 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Is there some reason I’m unaware of that priority passengers go online at the first possible moment to claim a checkin time? Is it just to tie up all the early spots so everyone else has to wait or what? If the assumption is correct that the earliest spot times change dependent on number of priority passengers, then those time are expected to be claimed by non priority. Cruise line knows the average passenger load at the terminal at any given time.

As I said in my above posting, when I went to check in  online, there was only one time slot available for us.  I guessed that it was because they knew we could check in at any time being Platinum.  And I checked in on the first day that I was eligible to check in.

58 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

As I said in my above posting, when I went to check in  online, there was only one time slot available for us.  I guessed that it was because they knew we could check in at any time being Platinum.  And I checked in on the first day that I was eligible to check in.

I believe you said “earliest available” rather than only. You missed my point—that being, why the rush to be first to check in (for many).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Is there some reason I’m unaware of that priority passengers go online at the first possible moment to claim a checkin time? .................

Cruise line knows the average passenger load at the terminal at any given time.

Very good point.

Absolutely they know statistically when people show up to check in. They have dashboards that report this in real time, and information is fed to miami daily.

65% of cruisers check in between 11-1 on any average sailing.

21 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

I believe you said “earliest available” rather than only. You missed my point—that being, why the rush to be first to check in (for many).

On 8/26/2019 at 6:18 AM, RWolver672 said:

Read it again.  I can't answer for any of the other Platinum/Diamond guests checking in but as I said, we didn't have a choice.  It was already chosen for us.  

11 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Read it again.  I can't answer for any of the other Platinum/Diamond guests checking in but as I said, we didn't have a choice.  It was already chosen for us.  

Sorry, mixed up posters but the point is still the same. 

On 8/26/2019 at 8:02 AM, 2wheelin said:

Is there some reason I’m unaware of that priority passengers go online at the first possible moment to claim a checkin time? Is it just to tie up all the early spots so everyone else has to wait or what?

You do realize that if priority passengers choose check-in times later than when they actually intend to show up (to leave the earlier spots for non-priority passengers), then you're back to the problem that staggered check-in was implemented to solve--too many people showing up too early and no place to accommodate them all if boarding hasn't started yet or has just started?

On 8/26/2019 at 9:02 AM, 2wheelin said:

11 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Sorry, mixed up posters but the point is still the same. 

A good guess would be that they choose the earliest time because that's when they are going to arrive.  When this first started, there was a lot of talk on here that if you are going to arrive early, you should pick the early slots.  That's the way it was designed.  

8 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I have a question: Why is everyone so anxious to get on the boat so fast? I know we all look forward to our cruises, but is there some event I am missing that happens early?

Many people arrive a day or two early for their cruises.  Most hotels want you out of there by 11 or 12.  You've already paid for your cruise so why not get onboard and enjoy your vacation.   Some arrive on same day early morning flights.  They get a taxi at the airport and go straight to the ship.  There are many reasons why people want to get on the ship early and start their vacation.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I have a question: Why is everyone so anxious to get on the boat so fast? I know we all look forward to our cruises, but is there some event I am missing that happens early?

Basically just because the vacation is paid for and people are ready to get started.  Bars are open, food is being served, pools/slides are open, etc.  Start relaxing and having fun as soon as possible. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Good to know it's just people wanting to start their fun early. My husband and I tend to be the types who are more worried about making the ship before it leaves.  😆

I mean, I am pretty much early to everything in life.  It's just how I roll 😎

4 hours ago, tkportersat said:

I mean, I am pretty much early to everything in life.  It's just how I roll 😎

Ditto!

On 8/26/2019 at 8:02 AM, 2wheelin said:

I have a question maybe someone can answer... I haven't done online check in since they implemented the process last year where  online check in isn't possible until 90 days before your cruise. Do you have to select a check in time when you fill in all the other info?

I have FTTF on our cruise next year, and when I go to check in, I'd be just as happy to leave that selection for later, to give others without priority check in the chance to pick their preferred time... but I don't know if you are forced to select a time when you do the online check in, with all the other info...

33 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

Ditto!

I have a question maybe someone can answer... I haven't done online check in since they implemented the process last year where  online check in isn't possible until 90 days before your cruise. Do you have to select a check in time when you fill in all the other info?

I have FTTF on our cruise next year, and when I go to check in, I'd be just as happy to leave that selection for later, to give others without priority check in the chance to pick their preferred time... but I don't know if you are forced to select a time when you do the online check in, with all the other info...

You do have to select at time at online check in. But that time can be later than the time offered, just not earlier.

On 8/25/2019 at 9:34 AM, Maggiepie said:

Wondering if anyone is aware of time changes for checking in to Galveston?  We finally hit our 90 day mark and my husband went in to select first available time minutes after midnight.  Earliest available was 12-12:30.  In the past first available was 10:30-11.  Just curious if they have pushed back the boarding time selections to prevent people from getting to the terminal too early, causing bottle-necks with passengers disembarking.  

I'm no where near platinum and I will NEVER sail out of Galveston again without FFTF.  When we sailed in April, it was a mad house.  People would just walk up and cut in the line.  Yeah, it's vacation and it shouldn't have bothered me but still, it was annoying.  We had a check in of 1130, BTW and were on time, not early at all. The people in front of us in line had a 1230 check in but times were not enforced. Priority lane was empty.  So I learned a lesson.