Bringing a stroller/shore excursions

mickeymouselam

Hi all,

My husband and I will be sailing on the Royal Princess this October to Mexico with our 7 1/2 month old son. We are doing 4 days at Disneyland before the cruise. We are going to have to bring his full car seat as he has outgrown the bucket seat for the cars to and from places in Anaheim/Los Angeles due to state laws.

We are not sure if we should bring the Graco Fast action jogger we have as that is the stroller that we own or should we try to find one that is comfortable for both my husband who is 6ft 4inches to push and same for me who is only 5ft 4inches. we like what we have as it has the adjustable handle.

Will we have any big issues other than the elevators during peak times?

Also on a side note what would you recommend for a Mexican Rivera cruise for shore excursions we can do as a family?

Thanks for Helping!

We have a Grace Modes jogger, which (I think) is roughly the same size as the FastAction. I love it, but the size makes it a pain to maneuver through crowds, and it takes up a ton of floor space. We picked up a decent umbrella stroller for our cruise with a one year old last year, and I can’t imagine trying to push a jogger through tight hallways. Plus, our kiddo tended to fall asleep in the stroller at that age, and I am not sure that we could have parked two adults and a giant stroller in our cabin without waking up the baby. 

I would highly recommend you test drive a few umbrella strollers just to see if you can find one that works for both of you. I am a huge fan of our Summer Infant 3DLite stroller, but there are a lot of variations out there.

5 hours ago, mickeymouselam said:

Hi all,

My husband and I will be sailing on the Royal Princess this October to Mexico with our 7 1/2 month old son. We are doing 4 days at Disneyland before the cruise. We are going to have to bring his full car seat as he has outgrown the bucket seat for the cars to and from places in Anaheim/Los Angeles due to state laws.

We are not sure if we should bring the Graco Fast action jogger we have as that is the stroller that we own or should we try to find one that is comfortable for both my husband who is 6ft 4inches to push and same for me who is only 5ft 4inches. we like what we have as it has the adjustable handle.

Will we have any big issues other than the elevators during peak times?

Also on a side note what would you recommend for a Mexican Rivera cruise for shore excursions we can do as a family?

Thanks for Helping!

Since you have "MIckey Mouse" in your screen name, I am guessing you're a huge Disney fan. I know Disneyland is different than Disney World, but Disney World just put a whole bunch of new regulations in place for strollers and what is permitted. If you plan to use your stroller,  I don't know if Disneyland has new regs and if they affect your stroller.  

We are east coast so my experience has been only with "The World." 

Umbrella stroller is the way to go on a ship. The hallways are so narrow, that if the cleaning carts are out, you wont get through with a full size stroller. We barely fit with the umbrella stroller. 

FWIW, we have an uppababy g-luxe. It is on the pricier side as far as umbrella strollers go, but we had a huge amount of credit from Neiman Marcus that we have to use up, so we got it. the seat is nice and comfy, it reclines so he can nap comfortabley in it, has a nice sun shade, decent storage, and maneuvers nicely. 

18 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

Since you have "MIckey Mouse" in your screen name, I am guessing you're a huge Disney fan. I know Disneyland is different than Disney World, but Disney World just put a whole bunch of new regulations in place for strollers and what is permitted. If you plan to use your stroller,  I don't know if Disneyland has new regs and if they affect your stroller.  

We are east coast so my experience has been only with "The World." 

Yes Disney fan, never a Disney cruise ( too expensive especially when having to convert to Canadian Dollars) been to the World 6 times and Hong kong once. First time to Disneyland. My stroller would fit the new dimensions but it sounds like while great for Disney not practical for the cruise ship.

When our son was small we cruised with an umbrella stroller— Uppababy G-lite, which is the non reclining version of the stroller a previous poster mentioned (our son never napped in a stroller?!). Main benefit to the Uppababy brand is its compact size, light weight, and good maneuverability. I’ve pushed that thing over cobblestones. Of course there are many other great umbrella strollers! 

If you baby wear, I would also recommend trying that— I used to travel with my Tula and it was great for ports and even on the ship. 

Generally if you keep in mind the width of a wheelchair, that's what's easiest to navigate stroller-wise on a ship.  I always brought my sturdiest narrow-width stroller (for me it was a tandem for twins).  As you said, you have to be patient waiting for elevators, and you can also have trouble with carts in hallways, chairs sticking out in public areas, etc.  But, in your case you and your husband being comfortable at Disney for 4 days is also a priority, so I would deal with the jogger on board, just taking care to avoid crowded areas - it's challenging enough to avoid running over feet with a regular-width stroller.   Carrying the baby on board may be easier during busy times and use the stroller in the evenings or on shore.  

When my girls were little we did the Mexican Riviera a lot.   In Cabo we went on the whale watching trip or there's a restaurant on one of the few swimming beaches where you can eat, use the beach chairs/umbrellas.  In Mazatlan, we taxied to a resort to use the beach facilities.  In Puerto Vallarta we used to walk to the Krystal to use their facilities (paid $20 to get in which was then applied to your lunch cost), but all of these are now awhile ago.  If you go to the ports of call board here they can give you better updated info on what's best for families.  

Have fun - sounds like a perfect trip with busy Disney days and then a relaxing cruise.

I'm actually bringing two strollers on my next cruise a very small cheap umbrella for getting around on the ship and our regular Zoe for out and about on excursions. Our little one is two but we do a ton of walking in ports and she gets tired out and it's nice to have the more cmfortable stroller for those times. And on the ship I like to walk the promenade deck and she likes to ride along.  The little umbrella stroller is great for this.  I have actually purchased one at a local Walmart the day before a cruise and donated it at a goodwill type place before flying home again!

We were on the Royal Princess in April with my then 16 months old daughter. I bought the GB Pockit+ for that trip because it is carryon size for the plane. Previously have traveled with the Summer Infant 3DLite. We also had my mother in law in a manual wheelchair. It was a pain to wait for the elevator during peak times but we dealt with it.

We cruised with daughter last summer when she was 8 months old to Cuba. We brought the Summer Infant but mostly wore her in a carrier then. It was much easier that way as we could walk the stairs.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:31 PM, Bellie said:

How did you like the Pockit? I've been looking at it and similar models potentially to get.

I like for the portability and carryon size. The plus (not original) reclines so good for naps. Not so good is the small wheels. Somewhat harder on cobblestone or broken sidewalks or dirt. But feasible if you lock the front wheels. Also the fold is sometimes hard especially if you have something small in the basket. 

We use the Pockit Plus at home too. We use the Summer Infant when we go to amusement park and need more basket space.

I would get the Babyzen Yoyo if I wasn't so cheap. Also carryon size but easier to open and close and sturdier wheels.

Edited by chinita415