STRAWS

1 hour ago, cruiserking said:

Paper straws on Empress, no big deal at all. They do not disintegrate, they are perfectly fine. A little harder to draw on for frosty drinks if they are thick but, no biggie. Really. 

Jonathan 

Jonathan,  how are you?  I was just telling someone how you ran the best roll call for our five day Liberty cruise.  Lately roll calls have been quiet, I guess the other forums have taken over.  Have to disagree with you about paper straws, margaritas dissolve them!!

Marietta

3 hours ago, nashirak said:

Paper straws. You have to drink your drink fast before the straw comes apart. 

I used the paper straws with my virgin peach daiquiris and such on Symphony in March and had no problems with them falling apart or collapsing... including one time when I took an unscheduled nap in my pool deck lounger and woke up to find that my daiquiri had melted completely.  The straw still worked fine, even after sitting in the liquid that long.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nashirak said:

Not sure what some domto the paper straws but I had one in an iced tea for well over an hour and was still like new. I wouldn’t think they would work in frozen drinks though but from other posts I guess I am wrong. 

Edited by Goofyfanatic
Adding

17 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Before plastic straws, all there WERE were paper straws....the world is still revolving!

Not really..  First paper straws were manufactured in 1888, plastic straws we manufactured in 1870.  Late 1700's the ryegrass straw was used, unfortunately it turned to mush quickly just like last years paper straws. happy cruising. 

5 hours ago, cruiserking said:

Paper straws on Empress, no big deal at all. They do not disintegrate, they are perfectly fine. A little harder to draw on for frosty drinks if they are thick but, no biggie. Really. 

Jonathan 

Agreed.  Paper straws have come a long way from what many people probably remember.  They have greatly improved.

22 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Bring one of these Along....

th73FZC9P1.jpg

Living in California straws are going the way of the dodo bird. Last Christmas I bought a pack of 5000 black and red commercial plastic straws that are individually wrapped. Gave them to my adult kids as shocking stuffers. Now my wife always has a few wrapped straws rolling around in the bottom of her purse.  All this started for us last year when we went to a new opening of Cheesecake Factory, ordered ice tea and no straw, waiter said we have to ask for a straw, asked for a straw and was told they had run out. All this over one turtle that a green peace activist found and shoved a straw up it's nose.  happy cruising

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Jonathan,  how are you?  I was just telling someone how you ran the best roll call for our five day Liberty cruise.  Lately roll calls have been quiet, I guess the other forums have taken over.  Have to disagree with you about paper straws, margaritas dissolve them!!

Marietta

Hi Marietta, 

Nice to see you on the boards, thank you that was a fun roll call. Just back from Empress, loved it. I enjoyed several frozen drinks with the paper straws, a little tough to draw on them as they are narrow, but, otherwise not so bad. Maybe, the salt in the Margaritas dissolves them. 

Jonathan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nashirak said:

A frozen drink takes two to three straws. I asked for at least two straws when I ordered. If it required a third I just dumped the drink and ordered a fresh one with 2 more straws.  I had the drink package so it didn't matter to me. 

• Like 2

Here in California you can still buy plastic straws...Target & Walmart.

Perhaps it depends on where your RCI ship is sailing but on Vision this past May (Med/Greece) they still had plastic straws.