Disney Wish and Lighthouse Point announced.

Monorail Orange

I'm seriously not impressed.  Rapunzel is good.  The Lighthouse Point thing is NOT a private island as Castaway is--it is an inhabited island that DCL will likely be leasing a piece of.  Princess is also on this island and has had some major issues where they have been unable to stop due to protests, labor disputes, or whatever. I suspect DCL has worked out a serious contract with the government, but they did that at Nassau as well.  It lasted for a while, and now Nassau is as cruddy as it ever was.  Yes, the situation at Nassau is different, but there were agreements as to safety, police presence downtown, hair braiders and others without fixed shops having rules about accosting DCL guests, etc. 

It also implies that the new ships will be doing the PC/Bahamas/Caribbean stuff.  Been there, done that.  I was seriously hoping for some new itineraries when the new ships came on line, whether they were done by the new or existing ships.  Maybe the Magic will do Asia.  The Japanese are crazy about all things Disney; those cruises would fill!

And, frankly I like the smaller ships.  I've known for years that the new ones would be larger than the Fantasy, but that's not a positive in my book.   I'm waiting for the first negative review that says, "I WISH I wasn't on this ship."  

46 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

I'm seriously not impressed.  Rapunzel is good.  The Lighthouse Point thing is NOT a private island as Castaway is--it is an inhabited island that DCL will likely be leasing a piece of.  Princess is also on this island and has had some major issues where they have been unable to stop due to protests, labor disputes, or whatever. I suspect DCL has worked out a serious contract with the government, but they did that at Nassau as well.  It lasted for a while, and now Nassau is as cruddy as it ever was.  Yes, the situation at Nassau is different, but there were agreements as to safety, police presence downtown, hair braiders and others without fixed shops having rules about accosting DCL guests, etc. 

It also implies that the new ships will be doing the PC/Bahamas/Caribbean stuff.  Been there, done that.  I was seriously hoping for some new itineraries when the new ships came on line, whether they were done by the new or existing ships.  Maybe the Magic will do Asia.  The Japanese are crazy about all things Disney; those cruises would fill!

And, frankly I like the smaller ships.  I've known for years that the new ones would be larger than the Fantasy, but that's not a positive in my book.   I'm waiting for the first negative review that says, "I WISH I wasn't on this ship."  

Well to each his own.  Royal does quite well with Labadee on Haiti and Princess with Princess Cays on Eleuthera.  I've been to both many times with no issues, and both are beautiful.  Yes there have been some local issues (more with Labadee) but nothing the cruise lines could not work out.  Both are still amazing guest experiences with very high ratings.  We also have Virgin Voyages developing their beach party on Bimini and I'm sure it will be quite successful as well.  MSC is developing an actual island in the Bahamas (very close to Bimini) and it looks wonderful.   Ocean Cay.  It was essentially a dump prior to MSC acquiring it.  It may end up being the best if you like an old school pristine private beach without all the "attractions" that the islands are becoming known for.  

I think Disney pretty much places their new ships on the "milk run" out of Port Canaveral.  It ties in well with Disney World and it's a sure thing.  They send the smaller and older ships to more far off places.  I'm guessing we will see the FANTASY and DREAM finally leave Port Canaveral to more far off destinations.  So hopefully something for everyone.  I believe two of the new ships will be based in Port Canaveral and one in Miami (where a new Disney terminal is under development).  

Personally I'm excited about the WISH (love the name) and can't wait for more details.  It's still a long way off though.  

On 8/25/2019 at 6:36 PM, cantgetin said:

Wish will be a whopping 4.39 feet longer than Dream/Fantasy  (1119.19 feet vs 1114.8 feet) and 6.56 feet wider (127.96 feet vs 121.4 feet). Same number of staterooms. Not what I would consider a major difference in size.  

32 minutes ago, PopFla said:

Wish will be a whopping 4.39 feet longer than Dream/Fantasy  (1119.19 feet vs 1114.8 feet) and 6.56 feet wider (127.96 feet vs 121.4 feet). Same number of staterooms. Not what I would consider a major difference in size.  

I totally agree.  All the announcements I've read have said either "bigger than" or "a little bigger than" without specifics.  This doesn't sound significant.  However, I still prefer the size of the classics.

While I agree with Cantgetin (formerly Moki’smommy) that more Bahamian and Caribbean cruises is not high on our list after nearly 30 Disney Cruises, eroller makes some good counterpoints.  I do see the three new ships based 2 in PC and 1 in Miami.  DCL also has contracts for North American ports in NYC, New Orleans, Galveston, San Diego and Vancouver.  Ultimately, I am hopeful DCL will expand itineraries beyond the current Bahamian/Caribbean ports.  They have not said much in that regard.  I don’t see all 7 ships in the Caribbean in the winter months.  I might also add that there are some more interesting places in the Southern Caribbean that can be more easily or more frequently added to the Caribbean portfolio with more ships.

We spent 3 weeks on the Magic this summer (EBTA and first cruise of the Med season).  We prefer the classic ships and we especially enjoyed the Portuguese and Spanish ports on the EBTA.  There is so much more to see in Europe than where DCL currently visits.

I was encouraged last summer in Alaska when Captain Henry talked about one of the classic ships doing a sort of world cruise.  My interpretation of that discussion (at the Gold and Platinum reception) was that one of the classic ships could have multiple home ports in Asia over a 6-8 week period (maybe longer).  Sort of like the Magic does in the first half of the summer in the Med, switching between a Rome and Barcelona.

We continue to mostly stick with DCL, and are hopeful that they expand itineraries with more ships in the future.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Disney Wish update from the Q4 Earnings call (12/11/20)

According to Mr. Chapek:

“We’re anticipating delivering our first new ship, the Wish in the summer of ’22 and then we have our next two ships in ’24 and ’25. And, so, after a slight delay of roughly six months on those, we think that we’re going to be able to bring them into service.

We hope and expect that the world will be back to normal by then and anticipate the having a fine time trying to fill up the demand of those ships.”

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/11/disney-wish-sister-ships-maiden-voyage-dates-rwb1/

Edited by Monorail Orange
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Disney Wish engine keel section has been floated into the huge Meyer Werft hall where construction will begin.

📷 Unimeden 

FB_IMG_1607772716369.thumb.jpg.b5320ea4984feae3c5169d6ae112b133.jpg

FB_IMG_1607772703210.thumb.jpg.f49f16acdb82244f2735308e5ff839a7.jpg

FB_IMG_1607772703210.thumb.jpg.f49f16acdb82244f2735308e5ff839a7.jpg

FB_IMG_1607772676451.jpg

Keep an eye on the Meyer Werft webcam images update weekly (ish) at https://www.meyerwerft.de/en/company/webcam/index.jsp

(Some people check the updates on their laptop because when they use their phone, sometimes they still see the previous week's webcam image...)

Screen grab of this week's (foggy outdoor) webcam image...

20201212_064204.thumb.jpg.8d2e1c12fe7f8f80f7a952144f89a35d.jpg

Luckily there is a visitor centre at the ship yard. Many visitor photos show up online.

1557078629_IvanPavlik1.jpg.7f8460b9bcc2b85726b7d9e80b7ac4a4.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

• 2 weeks later...

I see Disney announced on Christmas day (2020) that a statue of Cinderella will be in the lobby of the Disney Wish.  (I saw the announcement in the form of a YouTube Video).  So a bit more information has been released.  The in-service date is being listed as "Summer 2022," consistent with other recent press releases. 

• 2 weeks later...

The ship render looks great, and it looks like they're going for a Princess focus for this ship. Which makes sense, and I'm fine with that.

The one thing from that clip that bugs me is that the singer is pronunciating it wrong. Its "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo" - certiainly not "bippity boppity".

Yep, I know I'm splitting hairs on a made up word, but the fact that this is an official Disney release and they got it wrong is really annoying. I did a quick bit of research - the original 1950 version sung by Verna Felton plus covers by Perry Como and Louis Armstrong are all correct. The 2015 unfortunatly also has this new version - so I guess that's the excuse.

Thanks for listening to my pointless rant... we now return you to our regulary schedualed discussion of the Disney Wish. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...