WALKIE TALKIES BRAND

ASolosailer

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

You can find the 5W walkie talkies all over the internet for less than $100. 

$100 each?  I bought me 4 BaoFeng's for less than $100, including a dual charger base for each pair.   

But I needed a programming cable that was another $35 🤬

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

You can find the 5W walkie talkies all over the internet for less than $100. Instead of arguing with the fine folks at CC, just go buy a bunch of them, take them on the ship and figure it out for yourself. Then you can come to future threads about walkie talkies and offer your experience to other curious cruisers wanting to stay in touch with their cruise mates.

Hopefully he won't get so frustrated that he throws them all overboard, polluting the sea with more plastic and toxic chemicals in the batteries. He does seem like he has little patience for facts presented here, being that he is more of an expert than experienced cruisers and maritime professionals. 😉

Edited by SantaFeFan

20 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Doesn't bother me.

Suggest you may want to read the theory on the propagation of radio waves, specifically UHF. Might save you some money.

I am aware.  I've been a Ham for 30+ years.  As I said initially instead of dismissing them out of hand... in open areas like in the promenade, central park, boardwalk, on a balcony and on deck walkie talkies would probably work okay. Inside a cabin/hallways/stairwells,  not so much.  But alas, it's hard to render a contrary opinion to the flock so I'll just let it go. 🙂

Edited by mac66

22 hours ago, ldubs said:

Hi ASolosailer.    We brought some of the generic Radio Shack walkie talkies on a cruise when our kids were young.   They did not work very well and were really more of a pain than they were worth.  We decided to not bring them after the first time.  I don't think you will find them to be very useful.  As far as the complaints by other passengers, I think that is probably overblown.   

Radio Shack still around, LOL.

Walkie Talkies still around, better off IMHO to get a new phone, then a very expensive walkie talkie that will annoy everyone, versus a new shiney smartphone that does everything, this is pennywise and pound foolish, or as another said, talk to people, use sticky notes to put updates on ones cabin door

19 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Hopefully he won't get so frustrated that he throws them all overboard, polluting the sea with more plastic and toxic chemicals in the batteries. He does seem like he has little patience for facts presented here, being that he is more of an expert than experienced cruisers and maritime professionals. 😉

"Hopefully", no one will get frustrated with him yelling and throw him into the sea.

53 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

That said, I've had the pleasure of being in line in front of a woman trying to reach someone on her walkie talkie. She keyed the mic and sent out a call over and over and over again, without anyone coming back to her. And, no, speaking more loudly isn't going to help.

I've also enjoyed someone at the table next to me on the Lido with his radio in hand. I believe he was afraid he'd miss a message because he had the volume turned up to just under the feedback point, but leaving a lot of background noise blasting for the surrounding tables to enjoy.

You have experience in such things, as many of us do. You are not the only one here who has had to endure inconsiderate behavior by walkie talkie users. 

Of course, for at least one poster here, experience by others is not to be acknowledge if that experience doesn't agree with their agenda. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

Radio Shack still around, LOL.

Walkie Talkies still around, better off IMHO to get a new phone, then a very expensive walkie talkie that will annoy everyone, versus a new shiney smartphone that does everything, this is pennywise and pound foolish, or as another said, talk to people, use sticky notes to put updates on ones cabin door

Haha, I really don't know if Radio Shack is still around.   Used to be all over the place and I sure don't see them now.  

I think you hit the nail on the head about getting a new phone instead of a walkie talkie (which  in my experience  won't really work very well on board).  As far as the annoyance, I probably wouldn't even give walkie talkies passing notice if I hadn't read how much some people hate them here on CC.  I guess I just don't focus on things like that.  But, I will admit I've never been around someone yelling into one.    

Edited by ldubs

3 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Not to mention a used Android or Apple device (or even an older model new one) can be picked up for not much more than a good set of walkie talkies.  It doesn't even need to replace the existing phone if the OP is happy with it; just use the new device like a little tablet, hook it to wifi, and have access to texting and other cruise app things.  Much more versatile than any kind of handheld radio and more reliable.

8 hours ago, mac66 said:

I am aware.  I've been a Ham for 30+ years.  As I said initially instead of dismissing them out of hand... in open areas like in the promenade, central park, boardwalk, on a balcony and on deck walkie talkies would probably work okay. Inside a cabin/hallways/stairwells,  not so much.  But alas, it's hard to render a contrary opinion to the flock so I'll just let it go. 🙂

My certification is as a Marine Radio Operator, so I have no experience with the level of training provided to ham radio operators. However, I believe my initial post indicated that portable consumer radios are great for line of sight & open air.

Based on the areas you quote, I suspect you refer to one of the mega ships. Never been on one, but I suspect at least some of the areas you mention probably meet the line of sight and/or open air, so should work at times.

First of all, I have no agenda. I don't sell walkie talkies or even care if the OP decides to buy some.  My point was that there are areas on most ships (at least on RCI in my experience) where walkie talkies (Ham radio operators call them Handi-Talkies or HTs) could be useful. To completely dismiss them out of hand is based on ignorance IMO.  These days they are so seldom used because of the proliferation of cell phones that disturbing others is unlikely. Less likely I imagine than someone talking on their cell phone at dinner or in the theater.

On the Allure last April I saw a couple people with them. It was memorable because it was the first time in several years that I've seen anyone use them.  The person using it was walking around on the top deck talking to someone. I don't know where the other person was, but I later saw someone else with one as well. They were no louder than anyone else.

BTW.  There was a time where you could rent them on board ship at least on RCI.

Edited by mac66

17 minutes ago, mac66 said:

To completely dismiss them out of hand is based on ignorance IMO. 

Honestly, I don't believe anyone is dismissing them out of hand but based more on experience. 

On a mega ship, available line of site plays a huge role.  On smaller ships they are an annoyance to the nth degree.  Nothing like sitting on Carnival Victory's Serenity Deck and listening to some woman trying to get in touch with her kids several decks below - why do people think that talking louder into the thing will help the signal get thru?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

Haha, I really don't know if Radio Shack is still around.   Used to be all over the place and I sure don't see them now.  

I think you hit the nail on the head about getting a new phone instead of a walkie talkie (which  in my experience  won't really work very well on board).  As far as the annoyance, I probably wouldn't even give walkie talkies passing notice if I hadn't read how much some people hate them here on CC.  I guess I just don't focus on things like that.  But, I will admit I've never been around someone yelling into one.    

Here is a link to all the Radio Shack stores that are currently open.  A lot less than the glory days but not all gone.

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Here is a link to all the Radio Shack stores that are currently open.  A lot less than the glory days but not all gone.

DON

Thanks Don.  Good to hear they are hanging on.  I guess technology has advanced slightly since the store was originally founded so many years ago!!  😀

6 hours ago, mac66 said:

First of all, I have no agenda. I don't sell walkie talkies or even care if the OP decides to buy some.  My point was that there are areas on most ships (at least on RCI in my experience) where walkie talkies (Ham radio operators call them Handi-Talkies or HTs) could be useful. To completely dismiss them out of hand is based on ignorance IMO.  These days they are so seldom used because of the proliferation of cell phones that disturbing others is unlikely. Less likely I imagine than someone talking on their cell phone at dinner or in the theater.

On the Allure last April I saw a couple people with them. It was memorable because it was the first time in several years that I've seen anyone use them.  The person using it was walking around on the top deck talking to someone. I don't know where the other person was, but I later saw someone else with one as well. They were no louder than anyone else.

They sell them in the ships store. As the saying goes. Walmart. Can always return them.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:03 AM, mac66 said:

So, how do you deal with the legal issues?  Just because a radio is legal in the US doesn't mean it is legal on other countries.

Even as a ham, you cannot operate in the ham bands in another country, just because you have a US license.  There is some reciprocity, but not all countries.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 6:58 AM, SRF said:

So, how do you deal with the legal issues?  Just because a radio is legal in the US doesn't mean it is legal on other countries.

Even as a ham, you cannot operate in the ham bands in another country, just because you have a US license.  There is some reciprocity, but not all countries.

Simple,  you just use them when at sea on the ship, not in port in those countries where they are not legal.

Ham radios are not allowed on most cruise ships but the low powered FRS/GMRS radios are which are legal in most countries.

Edited by mac66

On 9/2/2019 at 1:59 PM, mac66 said:

Simple,  you just use them when at sea on the ship, not in port in those countries where they are not legal.

Ham radios are not allowed on most cruise ships but the low powered FRS/GMRS radios are which are legal in most countries.

And how many people cruising understand that legal in the US does NOT mean legal in other places?  🙂

I know in the past, there have been Ham Radio cruises.  Yaesu used to do one.  I have a t-shirt from one, I didn't go, but got it free for buying some radio or another (my shack is pretty much all Yaesu.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

And how many people cruising understand that legal in the US does NOT mean legal in other places?  🙂

I know in the past, there have been Ham Radio cruises.  Yaesu used to do one.  I have a t-shirt from one, I didn't go, but got it free for buying some radio or another (my shack is pretty much all Yaesu.

I really don't think using FRS/GMRS radios in foreign countries is even a thing. I've never heard of anyone being busted or having their radios confiscated. Frankly I don't think many people take them anymore what with the proliferation of cell phones.  Actually I was surprised to see them on my last cruise. Haven't seen any in years prior to that.

13 minutes ago, mac66 said:

I really don't think using FRS/GMRS radios in foreign countries is even a thing. I've never heard of anyone being busted or having their radios confiscated.

They are still illegal in many countries if using US frequencies. These frequencies can interfere with police and emergency frequencies used in those other countries. That you haven't heard of any being confiscated doesn't mean they aren't illegal. 

13 minutes ago, mac66 said:

Frankly I don't think many people take them anymore what with the proliferation of cell phones.  Actually I was surprised to see them on my last cruise. Haven't seen any in years prior to that.

There are excellent reasons besides the proliferation of cell phones, as clearly described in this thread. Ignoring the facts won't make them work any better, no matter how many times a person claims otherwise. 

1 hour ago, mac66 said:

I really don't think using FRS/GMRS radios in foreign countries is even a thing. I've never heard of anyone being busted or having their radios confiscated. Frankly I don't think many people take them anymore what with the proliferation of cell phones.  Actually I was surprised to see them on my last cruise. Haven't seen any in years prior to that.

In some Caribbean countries, camo clothing is illegal.

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

They are still illegal in many countries if using US frequencies. These frequencies can interfere with police and emergency frequencies used in those other countries. That you haven't heard of any being confiscated doesn't mean they aren't illegal. 

They are not illegal on board the ship. We are talking about using them on board a ship. Nothing more than that.

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

There are excellent reasons besides the proliferation of cell phones, as clearly described in this thread. Ignoring the facts won't make them work any better, no matter how many times a person claims otherwise. 

Sigh....I think I've laid out pretty clearly how and why two way radios could be used on board a ship. Don't agree? Fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Let's not continue to beat this to death.

1 hour ago, mac66 said:

They are not illegal on board the ship. We are talking about using them on board a ship. Nothing more than that.

Sigh....I think I've laid out pretty clearly how and why two way radios could be used on board a ship. Don't agree? Fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Let's not continue to beat this to death.

You are the one who doubted that they are illegal in your post # 48, so actually YOU are indeed talking about their use in other countries. 🙄

Yes, every one is entitled to their own opinion. But, as Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously said, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts". 

And, you are the one who is beating this to death. 

PS: smoke signals or flag signals would probably be just as effective as walkie talkies, since all three methods require line of sight to work well. You might want to give them a try. 😉

Edited by PTMary