WALKIE TALKIES BRAND

ASolosailer

On 9/2/2019 at 10:59 AM, mac66 said:

Simple,  you just use them when at sea on the ship, not in port in those countries where they are not legal.

Ham radios are not allowed on most cruise ships but the low powered FRS/GMRS radios are which are legal in most countries.

While some countries may permit the use of portable consumer radios, the ones meeting N/American standards are not legal in many other countries. 

Example - the US/Canada standard radios are not legal in UK and all other EU Countries. Sure the chances of getting caught are slim.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mac66 said:

They are not illegal on board the ship. We are talking about using them on board a ship. Nothing more than that.

If they are illegal in a country the ship is visiting, they ARE illegal on board.  And they are illegal at the point the ship enters the territorial waters of that country, until they leave those waters.

14 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

While some countries may permit the use of portable consumer radios, the ones meeting N/American standards are not legal in many other countries. 

Example - the US/Canada standard radios are not legal in UK and all other EU Countries. Sure the chances of getting caught are slim.

While the risk of getting caught is minor, the risk of disrupting emergency radio bands is much more serious. With a range of 2 or so miles, they could affect on shore communications while the ship is approaching or departing a port. Any responsible person should not use them if they aren't 100% positive they won't interfere with important communications.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

If you disrupt emergency communications, they WILL come looking for you.

Back in the 80s, an army unit got the bright idea they could use frequencies not assigned to them to avoid electronic monitoring. A group of Federal Officers came looking for them when they disrupted aviation communications.

2 hours ago, fyree39 said:

The job I retired from required me to understand frequency management. I had no idea how involved it was nor how terribly important assigned frequencies are. All countries have frequency management and restricted frequency bands. Unless visitors understand why it's so important to respect the frequency management of a country, they're unlikely to do so.

Anecdote: When I was about 10 years old (in the late '60s) my brother and I received a pair of walkie talkies from my parents. We had great fun playing with those. One weekend the local Army base had drilling reservists playing their war games on the base, which was a few miles from our house. Our walkie talkies had a single crystal and only one operating frequency, which happened to be the same frequency the reservists were using. I distinctly remember our 10-year-old annoying chatter being interrupted by a stern warning from some sergeant for us to get off their frequency. We didn't, the sergeant yelled some more, and he finally gave the order for his unit to move to a different frequency.

I spent eight years active doing missile stuff and then 14 years in a national guard signal brigade.  We were responsible for all  the communications for I Corps out of Fort Lewis.  We also were responsible for all the frequency management for the entire corps.  Those federal agents stopped at our office and basically gave us two hours to shut that renegade unit down.  

We also ran all the cables and telephones into corps headquarters.  We had one very grumpy Colonel who was the corps cable boss.  You didn't lay a single foot of cable anywhere near corps headquarters until he approved it.  Avoided a lot of interference.  

5 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

You mentioned Huntsville in another thread some weeks ago. I worked at NAWS China Lake. My husband is still there. He's been to Huntsville "on business" so I'm somewhat familiar with what goes on there. Sounds like you, me and my husband have some interesting stories that we can never tell anyone. lol

I've worked on programs with an involvement with China Lake but I've never been there.  But, don't get  your hopes up, my wife says my stories are very boring.