Recommendations Wanted

ymncruise

I have a full frame canon camera but I feel like it’s too much to carry while traveling. I’m looking for recommendations for a lighter, but high quality camera. On my last trip, I took a go pro hero3 and iPhone 7. I’d like something that gives some depth of field, good for closeups, and better zoom. Are there any small, light weight cameras that can do this? What small camera do you use for travel?

thanks!

It depends what you consider light weight.  In addition to my DLSR I carry a bridge camera.  Both Canon and Nikon make these and they generally have greater than 50X zoom and weigh  less and are smaller than the DLSR.

Do you want a smaller interchangeable lens camera, or a fixed lens camera?

For interchangeable lens cameras, look at some of the micro four thirds bodies from Panasonic or Olympus.  The Olympus OMD M5 mk2, with weather sealed 14-140 mm lens typically sells for about 1k or less (new model expected almost any day now

For fixed lens lens cameras some of the ‘bridge’ zooms (like my ancient FZ50) are fairly large - but the integrated zoom provides angles of view/telephoto reach that would take multiple zoom lenses for larger sensor bodies. This range includes the current large sensor cameras like the Sony RX10 series, and Panasonic FZ1000 series. The ‘tiny sensor with ludicrous zoom’ examples are the Nikon P series. 

6 hours ago, ymncruise said:

I’m looking for recommendations for a lighter, but high quality camera.  there any small, light weight cameras that can do this? What small camera do you use for travel?

thanks!

I take along my Sony A6300 and A6400 = one with a 10-18mm and the latter with a 24-135mm lens (plus a 70-30mm and a 8mm). Also a Panasonic ZS100 which is pocketable.

If quality and size are what's important and price doesn't matter - there are a few categories of camera to consider.

There are full-frame mirrorless cameras that can deliver everything you get from the full frame sensor as far as high ISO and shallow DOF, but in a smaller body - which can be paired with smaller lenses to keep the size down - but still be used with larger lenses if desired.  Canon has the EOS-R, Nikon the Z, Panasonic the S, and Sony the A7x and A9x lines.  These tend to be the priciest option, and still larger, but you can cut the size way down from big pro full frame DSLR bodies.

Then there are APS-C mirrorless cameras - that can get very small...not quite pocketable, but still extremely compact compared to DSLRs.  They can be paired with APS-C lenses which are sometimes lighter and smaller than full-frame equivalents, but can also still use the full frame lenses when size and weight aren't as much of a concern.  Sony's A line, Fuji's X line, and Canon's EOS-M line are examples.

As mentioned, some M4:3 models use a sensor a bit smaller than APS-C, allowing them to make relatively small bodies and lenses.  Olympus and Panasonic share the M4:3 mount, and some models can get very small and light too.

If you really want SMALL, as in pocketable, then there are some pricey but nice options that use 1" sensors - smaller than M4:3, but still larger than what's typically used in phones and compact cameras.  They often also pair with fast lenses, giving them decent DOF control...and usable optical zoom ranges for all-purpose travel and use.  Sony's RX line is probably the most established - there are the RX100 (I, II, III, IV, V, VA, VI, and VII) models which are pocketable, and the chunkier RX10 models which have big zooms and can be as large as DSLRs.  Canon also has their GX line - these are just a tiny bit bigger than the Sony RX models, but could still rate as pocketable.  And Panasonic has the LX100, TZ200, and LX10.  All of these would give optical zooms, decently fast lenses, and 1" sensors that could be pocketable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ymncruise said:

All of this camera research has me wanting a Sony a7 iii. It looks like my canon lenses will work with an adapter. 

I made the jump to the A7III a year ago and it has been a joy to shoot with. Here is a link to my decision to choose the A7III and another about experiences a year in.

http://pptphoto.com/?page_id=44

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2664881-switching-to-full-frame-one-year-in/?tab=comments#comment-57521625

Good luck in choosing. Lots of great options these days.

Dave

• Like 1

Yes, the A7iii will give you all the benefits of full frame -- probably superior to your current Canon FF, in a smaller and ligher package. Yes, your Canon lenses should work pretty well with an adapter.

Of course, you could look at the Canon R -- all your lenses will work perfectly with the Canon adapter. The lenses will work well on the Sony A7iii but will work even better on the Canon R.

The Sony A7iii is overall the better camera, according to most measures. 

Personally -- if you shoot any type of action, take the A7iii over the Canon R.

For non-action shooting, it's a bit more evenly matched. I'd still prefer the Sony, but with a caveat: If you're willing to gradually sell off your Canon lenses and transition to Sony, then get the Sony A7iii. If you want to just stick with your current lens set, get the Canon R. Your lenses will work better on the Canon. The native Canon adapter is cheaper than the Canon->Sony adapter. The camera gains probably aren't worth it, if you're solely adapting lenses.

• Like 1

I was a Canon guy from 1990 until now, Nikon before that for 25 years.  When I retired completely I wanted to get smaller and lighter than my 5D Mk III with the 16-35, 24-105 and 70-200 2.8 IS II.  It was just too much weight to carry around for me once the age counter passed 70.  I tried the Sony RX10 Mk 4 and while I liked it, I did not love it. There were things that just did not click for me so I tried the Sony APC mirrorless and picked the a6400 with the 16-50 Kit lens and the 18-200 OSS.  So far it has been a month of just playing with it but I am happy with it. The big test is coming next week when we head to Europe for two weeks on the ground.  I kept the 5D and the 16-35 thinking I would want/need that super wide but the more I think about it the more the 5D is staying here to be liquidated when I get back and adding the 10-18.  

6 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

I was a Canon guy from 1990 until now, Nikon before that for 25 years.  When I retired completely I wanted to get smaller and lighter than my 5D Mk III with the 16-35, 24-105 and 70-200 2.8 IS II.  It was just too much weight to carry around for me once the age counter passed 70.  I tried the Sony RX10 Mk 4 and while I liked it, I did not love it. There were things that just did not click for me so I tried the Sony APC mirrorless and picked the a6400 with the 16-50 Kit lens and the 18-200 OSS.  So far it has been a month of just playing with it but I am happy with it. The big test is coming next week when we head to Europe for two weeks on the ground.  I kept the 5D and the 16-35 thinking I would want/need that super wide but the more I think about it the more the 5D is staying here to be liquidated when I get back and adding the 10-18.  

This also sounds like a nice option for me too. I think I would be  happier with it than the rx100. I could keep my canon and lenses and use my cell phone when I want something really small. Please post again when you get back from Europe. Enjoy your trip!

1 hour ago, ymncruise said:

This also sounds like a nice option for me too. I think I would be  happier with it than the rx100. I could keep my canon and lenses and use my cell phone when I want something really small. Please post again when you get back from Europe. Enjoy your trip!

I will.  For now I strongly suggest you get to your local camera store and try out each camera you are considering.  THere are so many great cameras today at every level you need to have the cameras in your hands before you make a final decision. I was fortunate that Sony loaned me the RX10 for a week so I could really play with it.  Took it to Disneyland, made lots of pictures and decided it was not for me.  I am much happier with the a6400.  It fits what I am doing now and that is being Papa and doing some traveling.