How should I have handled getting ''ghosted''.

dolittle

We've always enjoyed traditional dining until our last cruise when we were at a table for 8 and the other 6 people were members of the same family.  They had a lot of family type conversation which made it a little awkward at times for us.  In the past we've always enjoyed sitting at large tables with other couples, but given that we didn't want to offend the family by moving, we decided this trip to do select and avoid the risk of being seated that way again.  

When I booked our upcoming Edge cruise, I didn't know there were 4 restaurants instead of one MDR, so when early seating wasn't available I chose select.  After doing more reading about Edge and the options available, I definitely would have switched out of traditional seating had we gotten it so that we could eat at all of the restaurants instead of just one.

Like others have mentioned as we meet other folks on the boat, we can always switch our reservations to larger tables to enjoy a meal (or two) with new friends.  But if that doesn't happen, we'll be perfectly happy with tables for 2.

Edited by Mauidiver

9 hours ago, mitz18 said:

Just curious - did you ever ask your waiter (or HM) to move you to a different table?

We felt like it would be too awkward to just up and move.  The parents seemed so happy to have other adults to talk to, so we sucked it up and soldiered through.  Can't say we'd do that anymore, but we were younger and clearly more polite!  😜

I don't care either way. On my last cruise random couples would show up here and there through out the week. Usually just one couple at a time. On the last night everyone showed up for some reason. I prefer to have the bread and butter all to myself. So then I have to slow it down...

10 hours ago, Mauidiver said:

We felt like it would be too awkward to just up and move.  The parents seemed so happy to have other adults to talk to, so we sucked it up and soldiered through.  Can't say we'd do that anymore, but we were younger and clearly more polite!  😜

It may be awkward.  It's not rude.  Say it's nice to talk to you and excuse me.  Then find another table.