Celebrity Summit leaving NYC for Bermuda today (8/25/19), Attn: HeavyMetalDeacon

PistolPete13

I love your photos!  Where is the fort that you take photos from?

We will be leaving from Bayonne this Sunday, September 1. I’m hoping you will get some great shots of our ship and perhaps post them. 

Thanks! 

Rose G

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

The photo of the couple alone with him waving in the purple shirt was heavy metal deacon. Great sail away on the helipad.

Great, thanks for that confirmation!  He had reached out to me last month in another thread hoping to get a photo of himself.  Glad I could make it happen.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bagpiper said:

I love your photos!  Where is the fort that you take photos from?

We will be leaving from Bayonne this Sunday, September 1. I’m hoping you will get some great shots of our ship and perhaps post them. 

Thanks! 

Rose G

Hi bagpiper,

That fort is called Fort Wadsworth on Staten Island.

https://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/historyculture/fort-wadsworth.htm

There is a lookout point marked in the photos where I'm standing to take photos.  Unless you have binoculars, it'll be really hard to spot be.  People are the size of ants at that distance.

I'll do my best for this coming Sunday but I might be traveling with the holiday.

fort-wadsworth.jpg

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

The photo of the couple alone with him waving in the purple shirt was heavy metal deacon. Great sail away on the helipad.

I assume the helipad was open to guests only by invitation?  Suite guests?  Zeniths?  Etc.?  

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

I assume the helipad was open to guests only by invitation?  Suite guests?  Zeniths?  Etc.?  

Yes, there were a lot more people on it than when you took your pictures which are great. We were out there for almost an hour and it was very windy. We got great pics of the statue and the Escape  passing. We stopped for about a half hour right outside the statue and the ships tooted their horns also. We also had an FDNY fireboat squirting all their nozzles nearby.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Yes, there were a lot more people on it than when you took your pictures which are great. We were out there for almost an hour and it was very windy. We got great pics of the statue and the Escape  passing. We stopped for about a half hour right outside the statue and the ships tooted their horns also. We also had an FDNY fireboat squirting all their nozzles nearby.

That was Pete who took those beautiful photos.

One thing I do like about HAL -- at least on the one cruise we've taken with them so far, the Captain opened the bow to everyone  at sail-ins and sailaways.  (This wasn't from NY, and I can't speak to anything other than our one sample.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

That was Pete who took those beautiful photos.

One thing I do like about HAL -- at least on the one cruise we've taken with them so far, the Captain opened the bow to everyone  at sail-ins and sailaways.  (This wasn't from NY, and I can't speak to anything other than our one sample.)

Sorry, I did mean that post to Pete

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

I saw the Norwegian Escape roll right by the Summit while it was stopped by the statue.  Really gave a sense of how large the Escape is!

Leaned from another CC post that the pipes under the pool leaked and caused damage to cabins on decks 7, 8, and 9 on the Summit (August 16 sailing).  About 30 cabins were affected.  Sorry for anyone in those cabins.  Celebrity have passengers compensation.  However, we are sailing on the Summit - September 8 - and wonder if those cabins have been fixed.

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

I saw the Norwegian Escape roll right by the Summit while it was stopped by the statue.  Really gave a sense of how large the Escape is!

By the way this is cool, we are sailing with the first and best James Bond, Sir Sean Connery who had his 89th birthday on this past Sunday

On 8/27/2019 at 11:15 AM, PistolPete13 said:

Hi bagpiper,

That fort is called Fort Wadsworth on Staten Island.

https://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/historyculture/fort-wadsworth.htm

There is a lookout point marked in the photos where I'm standing to take photos.  Unless you have binoculars, it'll be really hard to spot be.  People are the size of ants at that distance.

I'll do my best for this coming Sunday but I might be traveling with the holiday.

fort-wadsworth.jpg

We have sailed many times to and from Cape Liberty and have seen the fort but I didn't know its name. Thank you for the information.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

Rose

• Like 1