Travel Insurance

charlielinda

We are recently retired and plan on traveling quite a bit.  At least two cruise and two-theee trips a year overseas and around the US.  We always purchase trip insurance for our cruises.  We have excellent insurance through BlueCross/BlueShield.  My concern is mainly for medical and medical transport if we are visiting a country before a cruise.  For example we are going to visit throughout Spain before our Fall Transatlantic.   How do you handle the insurance for something like this ... by trip or for a year.  

Any information would be great.  

I've always found  insuremytrip dot com  to be a very helpful site when choosing travel insurance policies. You enter your criteria/needs and it pulls up many different options. I think it also has policies that are not trip specific, but based on  yearly travel coverages. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, charlielinda said:

We are recently retired and plan on traveling quite a bit.  At least two cruise and two-theee trips a year overseas and around the US.  We always purchase trip insurance for our cruises.  We have excellent insurance through BlueCross/BlueShield.  My concern is mainly for medical and medical transport if we are visiting a country before a cruise.  For example we are going to visit throughout Spain before our Fall Transatlantic.   How do you handle the insurance for something like this ... by trip or for a year.  

Any information would be great.  

Travelex will sell you medical only coverage on a per trip basis if that is what you want.  Price has been very reasonable for us.

We buy evacuation insurance through MedJet Assist .  They will evacuate you if you can be moved to a facility/location of your choice.  Many evacuation insurances will only move you to the nearest facility where you can be treated.  That can still be thousands of miles from where you would want to be treated.

A better place to get information is the "Cruise/Travel Insurance Forum under "Cruise Discussion Topics."  Beyond that, though, don't rely on us fellow cruisers to recommend the best travel insurance for your particular needs; go to www.tripinsurancestore.com or www.insuremytrip.com.  Both are excellent.  Call them for personalized advice (as opposed to just booking something yourself through their websites.  Good luck!

Tom & Judy

Edited by TFree
Insert links

Since we do multiple international trips yearly - both cruises and land- we found it cheaper to have an annual travel policy. Ours is a comprehensive one. If our trip will exceed the amount or time limits, we can purchase additional coverage from the same company to supplement. Insuremytrip or one of the others already mentioned, is a good place to start.

2 hours ago, 39august said:

Geo Blu is by Blue Cross/Blue Shield and offers a yearly medical and evacuation policy that is inexpensive. 

This is the ticket if you travel more than once a year.  Like the other post, maybe $200-250 a year.  Full evacuation insurance, medical coverage, etc.  

Per trip insurance, from the cruise line especially will set you back alot.  Huge profit center. 

I bought an Allianz Global-All Trips Basic plan.  It was $135 for the year and covers trips that are more than 100 miles from home.  It has medical and evacuation coverage as well as other coverages such as rental car insurance, lost or delayed luggage, etc.  I had to make a claim on delayed luggage, and they approved my claim within two days and mailed me a check within a week.  I was very impressed.