Silversea Vibe

JsJourneys

Hello!  We are seasoned cruisers but new to Silversea. We’re a couple age 70ish.  Mostly we’ve done ‘main line’ cruises:  Celebrity, RCCL, Viking, HAL, NCL, Disney, Princess, etc.  Also various land tours and independent travel.  We haven’t done luxury lines yet.   We like smaller ships, relaxed quieter atmosphere (no loud music, crowds, lots of activity) and a calm feel as far as decor and overall.  I feel like we’re done with big ships. We’re fairly low maintenance...we’ll unpack our own bags without the butler and we’ll do some laundry in the launderette.  We do like good service and food though of course.  We consider ourselves friendly but able to dine on our own or chat with a neighboring table.  We’re not ones to go to a bar and gather with a group, sing or dance.  We’re not into formal dress...in other words, we would dress nicely but no tuxes or gowns.  It’s just not a priority of ours and we don’t want to devote luggage space to that.  For those who enjoy formal, that’s lovely and each person’s personal preference.  I’ve read a CC review that passengers are ‘an amiable group’ but I also read a comment about ‘stiff upper lip’ passengers.  I’d like to feel passengers are relaxed and friendly but not ‘stiff’ or ultra formal...and that there would be a good mix of personalities. Hope I worded that correctly and it is read in the spirit intended.  We like to be with others who share a love of travel.  We’re considering Greek Islands on the Spirit.  I considered Azamara and Windstar, but ended up liking the Spirit itinerary and what I’ve read about the line and ship...as far as I can tell; hence the questions.  Also, can you comment on smoke...I read smoke can drift up to the cabins, in part of the outdoor dining or yoga area.  Definitely do not care for smoke.  Any comments you can provide on the vibe would be most appreciated!  Forgive me if this has already been covered...I read through some posts but didn’t really see it.  Thanks again!!

Hi and welcome to the Silversea forum. 

Generally, I honestly don't think there is any "stiff upper lip" and have always found other guests to be very easy going. On my first sailing I was probably apprehensive but it really was fine.

Dressing up on formal nights is also easy to avoid. La Terrazza would be my preferred choice if I didn't want to dress up.

I have read a couple of comments regarding smoke, but not something I've experienced. I think most people will respect the rules, but guess you'll always get some that wont.

Anyway, hope you decide to book and no regrets.

I think the vibe on SS fits what the OP is looking for.  I can’t comment on the smoke but regarding formal nights you don’t have to avoid any of the dining venues as tuxes and gowns are not required.  Less than half of the pax have worn true formal attire on the SS cruises I’ve been on.  My DH and I travel very lightly, usually all carry-on size luggage and though we would prefer no formal nights we’re able to pack so as to be presentable enough.  I wouldn’t let formal nights be the determining factor.  As for the stiff upper lips...if there are any you wouldn’t want to associate with them anyway, so why worry?  We’ve met very nice and interesting people on SS and believe me, the stiffs are the least interesting of all.

Hi😁from reading your original post I also think SS will be a good fit. I sailed mass market for years as well and now? Well? I love the small ship/luxury experience😁

And as for attire, I am not a dress gal. I wear dressy slacks with a nice top, some jewelry and I feel totally appropriate(and that is on formal night).

I have never felt out of place and love the food, service and vibe😁

Hope you have a wonderful cruise😊

If you really resist formal -- and I don't gather you do that strongly -- you can dine in your shorts on formal nights outdoors at the Grill or the pizza restaurant.  🙂

I wish that SS were non smoking.  One can get a whiff of smoke if you are at the Pool Bar at the wrong hour or on the aft decks outside Panorama and Arts Cafe (where smoking is permitted on port side of ship).

JS ... I could have posted that myself!

It all fits in with our requirements. 

We are on the Shadow in a few weeks and I have been instructed to look out for the next bunch of schedules to be released so as we can book another whilst on board.

We have never had any problem with smoke .... 

Enjoy.

We are on the Cloud expo ship now on mid-Greenland’s west coast, 71st latitude, and enjoying the small size (220 pax) and superb food, Italian being my favorite.

About smoking, there are only 2 tables for that on deck, poolside, port side, well away from the bar. Maybe also somewhere at the stern. This alleviates my annoyance at what I saw on Whisper in late 2017 when there was a large smoking section poolside starboard side, with cigars, right next to the only outdoor bar.

The Cloud was renovated over a year ago, I understand, and is in very good condition. For those contemplating the “mainline” cruise ships of Silversea such as Whisper, I hope they all have been upgraded/dated as well.

Happy and healthy sailing! 

Edited by markham

Of the three main cruise lines in this sector of the market - Regent, Seabourn and Silversea - I have sailed on all of them and would say that Silversea is the dressiest by far and in some respects the snootiest.  This applies to the big ships, not the expedition vessels - the Cloud and Explorer. I personally dislike dress codes and Silversea's obsession with the butler thing.  

Smoking became a major issue for us on the Silver Cloud in its pre-expedition days when passengers smoked through their dinner on the outside Veranda deck. However, I think that problem has been addressed now.   Food is a deeply personal thing but my view is that Regent has marginally the best food followed by Seabourn then Silversea.  I seriously dislike Silversea's 'hot rocks' dining experience and I also resent being asked to pay extra for their poshest restaurant.  

Regent ships lack proper forward-facing observation decks (a big no-no for me) while Seabourn and Silversea have outstanding deck space.  I think cabins are basically the same on all three lines.  The newer the ship the better the accommodation.  

A Greek islands cruise has become problematical in recent years owing to 'over-tourism' on some islands, especially Santorini and Mykonos.  You need to check with a website like CruiseTimetables what day your ship is calling at these places and what other ships may also be there.

Edited by Fletcher

If you like 900 passenger Viking, you'll like 600 passenger Silversea.  I've cruised a couple times with both.  I'm American and notice that Silver has more Brit Commonwealth passengers than V.  All Commonwealth et. al. passengers I met were charming and friendly towards us rebel Colonials.  Crowd tends to be younger than V on Silver.  Never noticed an issue with smoking but I was not looking for it.
I bring a dark sports coat and have not had formal night issues.

A correction for Fletcher's posting:

Regent Navigator does not have a Forward Observation Lounge - all the other sip's do. The Explorer - and I assume the Splendor - have Forward Lounges but neither have the outside Forward deck which the older ships have.

Peggy

We’ve found the vibe on SS to be to our liking. Yes, it is more formal than Seabourn but that’s OK with us. The butler can be good and helpful. If not, or you don’t need him/her (which is usually our case), it’s no big deal. We really enjoyed the food and dining options. 

We we found the other pax as friendly and approachable as on other lines. There are always a few we click with and a few we don’t in any cruise. 

On 8/27/2019 at 10:32 AM, JsJourneys said:

.  I’ve read a CC review that passengers are ‘an amiable group’ but I also read a comment about ‘stiff upper lip’ passengers.  I’d like to feel passengers are relaxed and friendly but not ‘stiff’ or ultra formal...and that there would be a good mix of personalities.

I think you should consider Seabourn if they have an itinerary that suits you.  We've sailed both Silversea (albeit some time ago) and Seabourn several times in the last two years--and do love Seabourn.  It is less formal, no butlers (thank goodness) but great service.  

On 8/27/2019 at 11:40 AM, les37b said:

Hi and welcome to the Silversea forum. 

Generally, I honestly don't think there is any "stiff upper lip" and have always found other guests to be very easy going. On my first sailing I was probably apprehensive but it really was fine.

Dressing up on formal nights is also easy to avoid. La Terrazza would be my preferred choice if I didn't want to dress up.

I have read a couple of comments regarding smoke, but not something I've experienced. I think most people will respect the rules, but guess you'll always get some that wont.

Anyway, hope you decide to book and no regrets.

Thank you for the reassurance about the SULs (stiff upper lips).  Thanks also for acknowledging your apprehension.  It’s strange to even think in those terms about a cruise.  It’s just a different experience than we’ve done.  

On 8/27/2019 at 11:59 AM, Gourmet Gal said:

I think the vibe on SS fits what the OP is looking for.  I can’t comment on the smoke but regarding formal nights you don’t have to avoid any of the dining venues as tuxes and gowns are not required.  Less than half of the pax have worn true formal attire on the SS cruises I’ve been on.  My DH and I travel very lightly, usually all carry-on size luggage and though we would prefer no formal nights we’re able to pack so as to be presentable enough.  I wouldn’t let formal nights be the determining factor.  As for the stiff upper lips...if there are any you wouldn’t want to associate with them anyway, so why worry?  We’ve met very nice and interesting people on SS and believe me, the stiffs are the least interesting of all.

Good points.  What’s OP?  Same with you on packing.  LOL on the stiffs.  Thanks!

On 8/27/2019 at 12:15 PM, Lois R said:

Hi😁from reading your original post I also think SS will be a good fit. I sailed mass market for years as well and now? Well? I love the small ship/luxury experience😁

And as for attire, I am not a dress gal. I wear dressy slacks with a nice top, some jewelry and I feel totally appropriate(and that is on formal night).

I have never felt out of place and love the food, service and vibe😁

Hope you have a wonderful cruise😊

Thanks, Lois, for the affirmation.  Ditto on the slacks, top and sparkle.  

On 8/27/2019 at 1:47 PM, Observer said:

If you really resist formal -- and I don't gather you do that strongly -- you can dine in your shorts on formal nights outdoors at the Grill or the pizza restaurant.  🙂

I wish that SS were non smoking.  One can get a whiff of smoke if you are at the Pool Bar at the wrong hour or on the aft decks outside Panorama and Arts Cafe (where smoking is permitted on port side of ship).

Thanks, Observer.  No, we’re fine with ‘formal’ guidelines...just not the tux and gown thing.

17 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

JS ... I could have posted that myself!

It all fits in with our requirements. 

We are on the Shadow in a few weeks and I have been instructed to look out for the next bunch of schedules to be released so as we can book another whilst on board.

We have never had any problem with smoke .... 

Enjoy.

Thanks, MPB&02/0!  Haha on posting that yourself.  Glad to hear others have had the same questions/thoughts.  Enjoy the Shadow!

17 hours ago, markham said:

We are on the Cloud expo ship now on mid-Greenland’s west coast, 71st latitude, and enjoying the small size (220 pax) and superb food, Italian being my favorite.

About smoking, there are only 2 tables for that on deck, poolside, port side, well away from the bar. Maybe also somewhere at the stern. This alleviates my annoyance at what I saw on Whisper in late 2017 when there was a large smoking section poolside starboard side, with cigars, right next to the only outdoor bar.

The Cloud was renovated over a year ago, I understand, and is in very good condition. For those contemplating the “mainline” cruise ships of Silversea such as Whisper, I hope they all have been upgraded/dated as well.

Happy and healthy sailing! 

Thank you, Markham.  Enjoy Greenland!

15 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Of the three main cruise lines in this sector of the market - Regent, Seabourn and Silversea - I have sailed on all of them and would say that Silversea is the dressiest by far and in some respects the snootiest.  This applies to the big ships, not the expedition vessels - the Cloud and Explorer. I personally dislike dress codes and Silversea's obsession with the butler thing.  

Smoking became a major issue for us on the Silver Cloud in its pre-expedition days when passengers smoked through their dinner on the outside Veranda deck. However, I think that problem has been addressed now.   Food is a deeply personal thing but my view is that Regent has marginally the best food followed by Seabourn then Silversea.  I seriously dislike Silversea's 'hot rocks' dining experience and I also resent being asked to pay extra for their poshest restaurant.  

Regent ships lack proper forward-facing observation decks (a big no-no for me) while Seabourn and Silversea have outstanding deck space.  I think cabins are basically the same on all three lines.  The newer the ship the better the accommodation.  

A Greek islands cruise has become problematical in recent years owing to 'over-tourism' on some islands, especially Santorini and Mykonos.  You need to check with a website like CruiseTimetables what day your ship is calling at these places and what other ships may also be there.

Thanks, Fletcher.  Oh dear on the snootiest.  Ugh. Glad the smoking sounds better. Food sounds OK.  Do you think La Dame is extra posh, extra dressy and a good experience or not really something to bother with?  Good info on the decks.  We’re looking at Greek Islands in October.  Hopefully a bit past the busy season??

10 hours ago, philw1776 said:

If you like 900 passenger Viking, you'll like 600 passenger Silversea.  I've cruised a couple times with both.  I'm American and notice that Silver has more Brit Commonwealth passengers than V.  All Commonwealth et. al. passengers I met were charming and friendly towards us rebel Colonials.  Crowd tends to be younger than V on Silver.  Never noticed an issue with smoking but I was not looking for it.
I bring a dark sports coat and have not had formal night issues.

Thanks, Phil.  Also American.  Interesting about Commonwealth and Colonials!  Hubs will be happy with dark sports coat...glad to hear.  Thx!

1 hour ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

We’ve found the vibe on SS to be to our liking. Yes, it is more formal than Seabourn but that’s OK with us. The butler can be good and helpful. If not, or you don’t need him/her (which is usually our case), it’s no big deal. We really enjoyed the food and dining options. 

We we found the other pax as friendly and approachable as on other lines. There are always a few we click with and a few we don’t in any cruise. 

Thanks, Maine.  Appreciate the positive feedback.  Right about passengers either way.

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

I think you should consider Seabourn if they have an itinerary that suits you.  We've sailed both Silversea (albeit some time ago) and Seabourn several times in the last two years--and do love Seabourn.  It is less formal, no butlers (thank goodness) but great service.  

I’ll check it out.  Thanks, SLSD!  So is there a butler, a butler assistant and a cabin steward???

If you follow the Facebook Silversea Passengers group page, there is a thread now about formal wear (or not).  Lots of comments.  Some people take this very seriously!  Like ‘why would you take a luxury cruise, if you are not going to do the whole experience including tux and gown?’  Or ‘I just cannot accept men in La Dame not wearing a tux.’  Seriously?!?!  This kind of puts me off and makes me wonder about the passengers and line.  I personally would take a cruise for the ship (including ambiance, food and service), itinerary/ports, travel experience, scenery, relaxation and meeting other passengers who have enjoyed a wide range of travel.  I recognize ‘dressing up’ is significant to some and they don’t understand why others would not feel it’s important, but I’m not allotting luggage space to formal wear and it’s just not a high value thing to me.  Dressing appropriately is fine. This is the first time I’ve ever had these thoughts about choosing a cruise line/ship and it is kind of a different thing to even think about.  I guess I need to feel Silversea will be enjoyable and those who are posting about formal wear (which to me speaks beyond clothing itself) are maybe not representative of all passengers.  Thanks for listening. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JsJourneys said:

Good points.  What’s OP?  Same with you on packing.  LOL on the stiffs.  Thanks!

OP is Original Poster in this case YOU Js Journeys.

As for La Dame the dress is whatever the day’s dress code calls for. Each ship is probably a little different but my experience on Spirit and Whisper is that it was NOT not-to-be-missed.  Not extra posh but a small, quiet spot, extra courses with a little bit fussy service.  It is something different, especially on a longer cruise when you may get a little bored with the other venues and a pleasant, quiet meal.

We were on Santorini in late Sept..  Still busy, several ships off the coast but we hired a private photographer guide who managed to maneuver around the worst of the crowds.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JsJourneys said:

If you follow the Facebook Silversea Passengers group page, there is a thread now about formal wear (or not).  Lots of comments.  Some people take this very seriously!  Like ‘why would you take a luxury cruise, if you are not going to do the whole experience including tux and gown?’  Or ‘I just cannot accept men in La Dame not wearing a tux.’  Seriously?!?!  This kind of puts me off and makes me wonder about the passengers and line.  I personally would take a cruise for the ship (including ambiance, food and service), itinerary/ports, travel experience, scenery, relaxation and meeting other passengers who have enjoyed a wide range of travel.  I recognize ‘dressing up’ is significant to some and they don’t understand why others would not feel it’s important, but I’m not allotting luggage space to formal wear and it’s just not a high value thing to me.  Dressing appropriately is fine. This is the first time I’ve ever had these thoughts about choosing a cruise line/ship and it is kind of a different thing to even think about.  I guess I need to feel Silversea will be enjoyable and those who are posting about formal wear (which to me speaks beyond clothing itself) are maybe not representative of all passengers.  Thanks for listening. 

You are right that those formal-wear police are a minority.  Honestly, I don’t even notice what people are wearing unless it’s a really awesome outfit.  A very small percentage of cruisers post in social media so realize that many of those who do enjoy sharing their opinions and some really enjoy pressing their point of view rather enthusiastically.  

Agree with you that luxury does not mean formal-wear!

• Like 1