Silversea Vibe

JsJourneys

Regarding the bathrobes:  The OP apparently did not actually see the people wearing bathrobes.  The implication is that there were in the PJs under the bathrobes.  And were perhaps wearing only slippers.

Assuming that there were guests with bathrobes on this final (casual) night of the cruise, is it not possible that they had packed, they were wearing casual clothes, their sweaters/shawls, etc., were packed, and they brought bathrobes to put over their casual clothes to keep warm in a room that some people feel is too cold? 

To Gourmet Gal,

First, I fully endorse your earlier statement that it is the duty of the Line to impress me, not the other way around (by the way, I maintain the same philosophy about any new potential boy/girl friends my children present).

You raise several  good fact issues.  DH and I arrived at the opening of the MDR soon after opening at  7 pm and there were many open tables in various parts of the dining room, with a few groups in each area.  We didn't get the only table left.  There was definitely no eye-roll:  everyone was professional, and that is what Silversea never fails in.   The dress code was casual but denim, even neat ones (and my DH looks good in anything), are not in the dress code.   I definitely could have asked for a better table, but the question is, should I?  

Slsd and Lois. 

Sorry i only meant Regent as having included excursions.  

In regards to Seabourn , please don’t get me wrong, I ALWAYS wanted to consider Seabourn, but when I initially started researching an alternative to Oceania when their Iceland itinerary didn’t appeal to me , I looked at Seabourn, Regent, Silverseas, and Viking,  and I seemed to remember both Regent (which included excursions which made them the most expensive) and Seabourn being more expensive than the others. 

Note: we will only book the vista suite on Silverseas, I don’t find value paying $2000 more per person to reserve a veranda suite. I would rather use that savings towards business class air. I also prefer to be as close to the bottom of these smaller ships due to potential seasickness. Initially we booked with SS for the Iceland cruise on the Wind, but later found a better itinerary and better price with Viking for a trip a year later, so changed to an itinerary that included Japan on the Shadow and ended up getting a reduced fare that could not be  beat . Our upcoming trip also was  a great offer that included discounted business class air.

So the fact that We don’t book the more expensive veranda room and was lucky to get some great deals with SS may explain why I saw a difference between SS and Seabourn prices.

I’m glad that you questioned my opinion of the perceived price difference. It peaked my curiosity, so I checked  seabourn site and found that  there may be potential to pursue them in the future if they are offering specials. 

Thanks

Edited by bobolz

Dawn, if you are unhappy with a location of your table, if my view...….yes, ask to be moved. I mean, we are all different people but I can only suggest what I would do.....I do it here at home so no different for me on a cruise ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

To Gourmet Gal,

First, I fully endorse your earlier statement that it is the duty of the Line to impress me, not the other way around (by the way, I maintain the same philosophy about any new potential boy/girl friends my children present).

You raise several  good fact issues.  DH and I arrived at the opening of the MDR soon after opening at  7 pm and there were many open tables in various parts of the dining room, with a few groups in each area.  We didn't get the only table left.  There was definitely no eye-roll:  everyone was professional, and that is what Silversea never fails in.   The dress code was casual but denim, even neat ones (and my DH looks good in anything), are not in the dress code.   I definitely could have asked for a better table, but the question is, should I?  

Yes, definitely ask for a better table if there are any.  

On 8/29/2019 at 5:08 AM, twoboys said:

We were on Seabourn a few years ago Athens-Venice. It was lovely and we met a nice couple we are still friendly with. But over all, we didn't think the vibe was that friendly or dpwn to earth. The service was impeccable and the food fantastic! Then we did Windstar through Sicily. The people were fantastic and we made plans with several for tours and excursions and dinners on the ship and stayed in touch through social media. It was casual and they do your laundry which made packing so easy. Ships crew were amazing, the food was delicious.  We will be on the Whisper next week and all these posts about tuxedos and gowns are freaking me out a bit . But despite what folks wear, I hope they are friendly

and chill.  If I were goign to cruise through the Greek Isles I might look at a Windstar sailing ship. But its WAY more relaxed, so might be too far over in the other direction for the OP

Thanks, TwoBoys.  Would have liked Windstar but not the right itinerary.  I’m glad to read that tuxes and gowns are minimal.  Enjoy the Whisper!  

On 8/30/2019 at 9:14 AM, Colgal said:

I think you will be comfortable on either Silversea or Seabourn. They are both wonderful lines with personalized service and good food.

We have sailed with both -5 on Seabourn and are taking our fifth cruise with Silversea (and our second this year) in November. We found the crew on Silversea to be more polished and the food more varied. We did enjoy La Dame on three different evenings and did not have a problem with the upcharge as the experience was really lovely. 

There are more jackets in all the dining venues but I would not be concerned by excessive formality. The only evening we saw tuxedos was formal night but a majority of the passengers wore suits or sport coats and ties and the women wore everything from slacks to cocktail dresses- no one was in a ballgown.

As to the Butler- we found him to be so helpful-not obtrusive. He served our room service breakfast several mornings, our evening canapés and a room service dinner. He arranged for a mattress topper and even shined my husband’s dress shoes (without being asked). He arranged dinner reservations, helped with the free wifi, cleaned our suitcases before departure, and was delightful to be around.

You can’t go wrong with either line and perhaps you should try both to determine which is best for you. Have a great cruise!

Thank you,  Colgal, for the positive comments.  Can you tell me about evening canapés? Something you order from the room service menu?  I’d like to do the room service dinner on the verandah too.  

On 8/30/2019 at 10:17 AM, ketjupiter said:

I agree with Markham... I recently sailed on the Cloud from Amsterdam to Dublin.. We had a great time, but myself and travel companions were horrified as to how people dressed for dinner....jeans, t shirts, polos, hiking boots to dinner at LaTerraza.. I was happy to see that they turned someone away from LaDame, as they were wearing jeans, hiking boots and a ball cap....I find it interesting that SilverSea doesn't enforce at least a minimal dresscode, especially for dinner.  I do recognize that the Cloud is an expedition boat, but my group wore sports jackets to dinner....I am booked on the Moon next year and am looking forward to a little bit more refined experience.

Oooh, KJ.  That sounds a little too much in the other direction.  Thx for your input.

On 8/30/2019 at 9:03 PM, markham said:

Different strokes.

Yes, code is casual. Fine. But the ship delivers a 5 star service. FS, Aman? That matters not at all to me here. You have Gilbert orchestrating a sophisticated restaurant service and smart butlers in corridors wearing tails. The substance is not lost on me: these people are proud to serve. It’s a matter of respect, something my parents taught me. My take is that tee shirts and blue jeans are out of place. Anyone can pack some collared shirts and trousers. And a sports jacket. There are no children here but if there were maybe they would be given a pass... As for these adults? That up to them, obviously.

Happy and healthy sailing!

What ship might we find Gilbert on?  

On 8/31/2019 at 11:54 AM, wripro said:

As Maggie Smith said to Hugh Bonneville on Downton Abbey the first time she saw him wear a tuxedo  instead of white tie and tails to dinner...."I thought you were a waiter!" Same thing holds true now, the staff can wear tails and tuxedoes  but those being served are far more casually dressed no matter where you go. It's a sign of the times just as it was back in 1912!

Wripro, this is my favorite response!  Thx for sharing!  Yes, a sign of the times. 

On 9/1/2019 at 2:27 PM, bigmjh said:

The last night is always casual dress and apparently you were both dressed appropriately. Cannot understand why any MD would "table-shame" you under those circumstances.

On 9/1/2019 at 3:54 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

Just wondering, what gave you the impression that you were being table shamed?  Did you feel you could not ask for another table? Was there a major eye-roll when you arrived?  In the daily bulletin what was the designated attire for the evening?   Perhaps you weren’t under-dressed at all.  There are bad tables in every restaurant and someone  has to sit there on a busy night.  Quite often a maitre d’ will try to seat people there but will also honor a request to be moved.  But, if you were table shamed that is just wrong. 

Do they do such a thing as ‘table shaming’ on SS??  Or eye rolling??  I really don’t want this kind of vibe which is why I asked the original question.  Thx!

1 hour ago, JsJourneys said:

Do they do such a thing as ‘table shaming’ on SS??  Or eye rolling??  I really don’t want this kind of vibe which is why I asked the original question.  Thx!

From the tone of some of the comments related to attire I wouldn’t be surprised there could be some eye-rolling among the more superior passengers but that could happen anywhere.  Now I would be surprised to see that from any crew member on SS.  As for table shaming, that would be shocking and I have never seen nor experienced that ever.

2 hours ago, JsJourneys said:

Thank you,  Colgal, for the positive comments.  Can you tell me about evening canapés? Something you order from the room service menu?  I’d like to do the room service dinner on the verandah too.  

We enjoyed an antipasti plate- lovely selection of meats and cheeses, or some cold shrimp, hot spring rolls, and caviar. The Arts Cafe always has a variety of snacks and the ‘always available menu” also has some appetizing snacks. There are so many options and it’s always a “yes” on SS.

We enjoy small bites with an afternoon glass of champagne, particularly after a very light lunch or a busy excursion-it’s something we never indulge in at home and is such a pleasure on vacation!

I hope you choose to have a room service dinner-nothing better than to put on a robe and indulge in a fabulous meal, particularly after a full day of sightseeing!

As the OP of the table question, I would assure JsJourneys that I wholeheartedly endorse the Silversea vibe overall and I feel Js will think the same.  I have two other SS cruises already scheduled and paid for, so this must be a sincere endorsement!  My thanks to everyone who offered advice; I feel more comfortable knowing how more experienced travellers would handle the situation.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JsJourneys said:

There is absolutely no such thing as ‘table shaming’, there are tables for 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10. If one has a preference for a particular table in an area of the MDR, asking the MD will usually get a table in that area. However, as the MD is not a mind reader, he/she/some other designator will put you somewhere they think appropriate, like next next to a window because that’s where most of the tables for 2 are. IMHO the OP is making a mountain out of a molehill.

• Like 2

Gilbert told me he'd done the WC in the past - we talked about a few mutual friends. He's very good at his job - knows what's going on all over the room and handles people - passengers and staff - very well.

I hope he'll be on another SS ship when I sail again.

Peggy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 1:58 PM, JsJourneys said:

Hello again!  I just wish to thank everyone who provided insight on the Silversea vibe!  All the information was helpful.  Looking forward to our 2020 Greek Islands cruise.  

I think you will have a great cruise!  Our first Silversea cruise was super, almost everyone was friendly and having a good time (actually everyone but one person - a man was rude to a server one night which unfortunately can happen anywhere).  Best wishes!  

• 4 months later...
On 8/28/2019 at 11:23 PM, JsJourneys said:

If you follow the Facebook Silversea Passengers group page, there is a thread now about formal wear (or not).  Lots of comments.  Some people take this very seriously!  Like ‘why would you take a luxury cruise, if you are not going to do the whole experience including tux and gown?’  Or ‘I just cannot accept men in La Dame not wearing a tux.’  Seriously?!?!  This kind of puts me off and makes me wonder about the passengers and line.  I personally would take a cruise for the ship (including ambiance, food and service), itinerary/ports, travel experience, scenery, relaxation and meeting other passengers who have enjoyed a wide range of travel.  I recognize ‘dressing up’ is significant to some and they don’t understand why others would not feel it’s important, but I’m not allotting luggage space to formal wear and it’s just not a high value thing to me.  Dressing appropriately is fine. This is the first time I’ve ever had these thoughts about choosing a cruise line/ship and it is kind of a different thing to even think about.  I guess I need to feel Silversea will be enjoyable and those who are posting about formal wear (which to me speaks beyond clothing itself) are maybe not representative of all passengers.  Thanks for listening. 

Thanks for the Facebook page info, great help.

What I appreciate from the posts I am reading from guests regarding SS evening attire is that the broad range of guests on SS are having a difference of varying degrees but all is perfectly acceptable.  I am just pleased to know that jeans are not allowed in DR during dinner. I am forever bemused by guests on other cruise lines wearing torn jeans and t shirts et el during dinner service and even on formal nights and yet the cruise lines don't adhere guests to maintain a minimal dress code.

Smart casual is quite lovely and one can dress up a simple outfit and gentlemen look smart with dark slacks and jacket and a tie on formal nights.  

Update: I just was reading more  SS comments and I may have spoken to soon as jeans and t shirts issues in MDR seems to have been a reoccurring concern.

Edited by LoryAnn