Cruise Stocks and ownership benefits

There has been some info on this before but here this is what I have gathered.

If you have a trade-able IRA account cruise stocks are good to have in your portfolio. They are not a growth or speculative stock so they will hold their value steady (10% up and down through out the time.)  But, RCL and Carnival does pay around 2 -4% dividend so think of it as a good deposit.  I am not aware of any limitation on how many times you can apply, so if you cruise 50X a year or year around this can really stack up on your OBC.

MSC is a private company no stocks avail.  Currently, I am only aware of Royal, NCL, and Carnival.

Norwegian: NCLH (applies to all Norwegian Cruise, Oceania, Regent)

You need 100 share min.  Benefits: $50 OBC 6 days less; $100 7-14 days; $250 15+; each cruise you get OBC on top of anything else you get such as Insider OBC, TA OBC, etc.   

If you cruise 2x 7 night a years, that is $200 extra.  Which at current stock price of $49.23, 4% return.

Info link: http://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/static-files/23c8691e-2da7-4595-b132-a6ad137cf7f6.) 

Carnival: CCL (applies to all Carnival, Princess, Holland, Cunard, P&O, Seabourn, Costa)

Sharedholder perk (100 share min), $50 OBC 6nights less, $100 7-13 days, $200 14 days+: 

Currently paying, 4.5%($200 a year) dividend, so for ex of two 7 night cruise ($100 x 2) = your annual return will be $400 / 9.2%

http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Royal: RCL (applies to Royal, Azamara, Celebrity)

Shareholder perk $50 OBC 5 nights less, $100 6-9 night, $200 10-13 nights, $250 14+ nights.

Currently paying 2.7& ($280 a year), at 2 ($100) x 7 night example. your return will be $480 / 4.5%.

http://www.rclcorporate.com/investors/shareholder-benefit/

Edited by ashank1m
add on

• 1 month later...

Finally purchased CCL shares . Oddly proof must be sent by mail or fax and not by PDF or attachments . The credit for my upcoming Princess cruise was very fast and just appeared in my booking info details . 

I understand that Carnival has very few if any restriction on receiving this OBC . RCL is supposed to have significant exclusions on getting these ownership benefits where they can not be combinable with other discounts .   

• Like 1

I purchased 100 shares of NCL. I was disappointed with the "perks," and have since sold them. The shipboard credit is not given in addition to any other credit you are already entitled to, based on tier level with NCL or otherwise. There is no dividend paid. And I was not acknowledged in any other way when I cruised as a shareholder. I heard stories of people being invited to the Captain's Table and such, but never happened to me.

At some point when I can better afford it I will probably buy the stocks again even though I was getting very little out of it, but they are very expensive for something that gives you so little back and can't be "stacked" on top of your other benefits, like tier level shipboard credits.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We sailed with AIDA and got an OBC as Carnival shareholders. AIDA informed us that the OBC is taxable.  I am very doubtful because the OBC  is not related to any economic results of the company but only to the length of the cruise. The money is not transferable but can only be spent onboard - with certain restrictions. I consider OBCs as a marketing tool like special offers for former guests, members of the military etc.  

• Like 1