Hurricane Dorian talk

6 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

CoCo Cay is about 70 miles south/southwest from Grand Bahamas and the storm is expected to just skirt the north side of  that island, so maybe a little further from the Cay.  The most damaging winds and surge are on the north/northeast side of the storm.  So I think this is good news for CoCo......Grand Bahamas will have the most damage and I pray they weather the storm with as little loss of life and property as possible.  But people who live there know what to expect and will prepare accordingly.  Hurricanes are just life in the Caribbean.  Just like Floridians, if you want to live there, you take the consequences along with the pleasures.  BTW, that is called being Pragmatic.  Like I said before, it has nothing to do with compassion, it's just taking your licks and moving on.  What else can one do?

Yeah I'm no meteorologist or geography expert but I just brought up a map of the Bahamas and then the path of Dorian and where it will hit "The Bahamas". To me it looks like biggest, worst part of the storm is not anywhere near it. The freaking out and drama here is a little bit amusing. To me it looks like the worst part of the storm is going to well North of CocoCay.  

• Like 1

Now I am really confused.  We were on Mariner out of PC on 9/2.  The email we received says that we now depart PC on 9/4 at 9pm and return 9/6 at 7am.  I just came across this though.....If it is actually boarding at 11:30, we will still go.  

curise.png

12 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

When my knee starts hurting, then I will start worrying.  It does appear that most of the birds that we see flying around our house are gone, so that’s not a good sign.  They since it and get the hell out of town early.

Loved this observation!

When I was a child, growing up in PA, the birds would settle in the fields by the thousands to eat before a big snow.

9 hours ago, irishgal432 said:

I’m on Allure. Hoping to 

I doubt it at this point.  Wednesday it is predicted to be about 70 miles off the coast near Port Canaveral at the moment.  I have doubts any ship trying to get in will do so as it is currently at cat 5 and expected to be a cat 4 when it skirts Florida.  I live near Daytona, don’t blame Royal for not coming in on Sunday as this mess was supposed to strike on Sunday.  It didn’t.  They did what they thought was right at the time. RC, I am sure will do right with FC credit and yes, you may pay more for a new cruise depending on when you book and what deals you get or got.  You get a year to apply the credit to a booked cruise not a year to take the cruise so watch the promotions and book one when you find a great price.  Might want to avoid August and September for the Caribbean though.

3 minutes ago, janrey1234 said:

I doubt it at this point.  Wednesday it is predicted to be about 70 miles off the coast near Port Canaveral at the moment.  I have doubts any ship trying to get in will do so as it is currently at cat 5 and expected to be a cat 4 when it skirts Florida.  I live near Daytona, don’t blame Royal for not coming in on Sunday as this mess was supposed to strike on Sunday.  It didn’t.  They did what they thought was right at the time. RC, I am sure will do right with FC credit and yes, you may pay more for a new cruise depending on when you book and what deals you get or got.  You get a year to apply the credit to a booked cruise not a year to take the cruise so watch the promotions and book one when you find a great price.  Might want to avoid August and September for the Caribbean though.

Still hoping. We are out of Fort Lauderdale and suppose to leave on Wednesday when the storm has passed way to the north.  If the storm path changes then I am not out anything if I don't go.  I have travel insurance that covers it and not lose anything.  I like travelling in September/October.   

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

"The only good luck many great men ever had was being born with the ability  and determination to overcome bad luck."  Channing Pollock

Becca. , l like your optimism but.....coco cay evacuated LAST Wednesday, there are 400 Bahamian employees that work there. Most of them are 100s of miles away from there as they had mandatory evacuations. Lots of them probably made there way to the US to get out of there. They don’t have houses on coco cay their house are in the main islands that are going to be wiped out. They will probably have nothing to return to. 

The last thing they are going to worry about is that there is a pina colada waiting for you on your “perfect day”. 

Coco cay May avoid a direct hit but unless you want to fly out tomorrow and start cleaning the pool and replanting trees and flowers your not going to coco cay next week. My guess is they will not open at all in September and rightfully so.

sorry to be a Debby downer but sometimes reality has to be accepted.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Still hoping. We are out of Fort Lauderdale and suppose to leave on Wednesday when the storm has passed way to the north.  If the storm path changes then I am not out anything if I don't go.  I have travel insurance that covers it and not lose anything.  I like travelling in September/October.   

Fort Lauderdale will all depend on the seas and when the port reopens and if Dorian doesn’t slow further.  

2 minutes ago, kearney said:

Here is something interesting as it relates to port closures.Coast Guard Policies Related to Port Closure Someplace I read that Canaveral was at Whiskey... yesterday.. as I recall.

2 minutes ago, kearney said:

Here is something interesting as it relates to port closures.Coast Guard Policies Related to Port Closure Someplace I read that Canaveral was at Whiskey... yesterday.. as I recall.

yankee as of last night 

Wouldn't it be nice if every person worrying about their vacation  and asking for reimbursement/compensation would donate even $25 each to aid efforts for people who will be really hurt by this hurricane?  Heck, even $1.00 per complaint/whine would help!  I'm not talking about people asking for genuine guidance in planning on how to deal with the changes in their plans, but those who are more concerned with their cocktails and beach days and internet reimbursements.  

Edited by greykitty

Someone posted this on another thread... it is a nice site to see where the  cruise ships are currently... You can see most of them heading south...  I find Carnival interesting... Note ship heading to Charleston... which is now at Whiskey.... wonder where they plan on sailing once they drop off passengers..... Savannah already at X-Ray... going south would be into the storm... north it will be chasing them...  cruise mapper site  I would hate to be the one trying to figure out where to go during a storm that may or may not impact you...

For those supposed to cruise the Allure this week, do you really think you won’t get out on Wednesday?  I’m constantly checking the National Weather Service hurricane page. They’re saying Fort Lauderdale only has a 12 percent chance it tropical storm or higher winds on Tuesday, through Wednesday. And a 1 percent chance, Wednesday through Thursday. 

From latest sat in looks like Coco Cay is getting a direct hit.  I would hope and expect RCCL planned for this kind of hurricane.  We have been there 2 times and I took note of the structures and it looked to me (as a Floridian) that it is will take the hit.   Wonder about storm surge though.  

image.png.6c774f1a10e977cfddbc4aad509a56d4.png