Hurricane Dorian talk

20 minutes ago, gonole1972 said:

From latest sat in looks like Coco Cay is getting a direct hit.  I would hope and expect RCCL planned for this kind of hurricane.  We have been there 2 times and I took note of the structures and it looked to me (as a Floridian) that it is will take the hit.   Wonder about storm surge though.  

image.png.6c774f1a10e977cfddbc4aad509a56d4.png

Royal Caribbean has closed Coco Cay effective immediately, in order to safely remove all workers/residents on the island.

1 hour ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Becca. , l like your optimism but.....coco cay evacuated LAST Wednesday, there are 400 Bahamian employees that work there. Most of them are 100s of miles away from there as they had mandatory evacuations. Lots of them probably made there way to the US to get out of there. They don’t have houses on coco cay their house are in the main islands that are going to be wiped out. They will probably have nothing to return to. 

The last thing they are going to worry about is that there is a pina colada waiting for you on your “perfect day”. 

Coco cay May avoid a direct hit but unless you want to fly out tomorrow and start cleaning the pool and replanting trees and flowers your not going to coco cay next week. My guess is they will not open at all in September and rightfully so.

sorry to be a Debby downer but sometimes reality has to be accepted.

Funny there is nothing to back up your statement.....its still on our itin.  And although I hurt for all the Bahamas, if CoCo Cay is receiving ships, they will need that revenue badly by then.....different strokes for different folks.....keep your pessimism, I'll keep my optimism and we'll both be happy.  I am well aware of the employees and that they have been evacuated.  Actually, there are dorms on the island where they stay.  And yes, the surge will inundate the island...as it has for millinia.  Cosmetics are easy.

RCCL has no announcements, yet, about whether we will be there so until they do make that decision, I will proceed as planned.  BTW I've been to CoCo Cay 4 times...you?

40 minutes ago, kearney said:

I keep finding interesting links... I hope people don't mind... this one is for coast guard and lists port status... which is better than the press release link... you can check the directory to find specific port...US  Port directory... status  Sorry  learning this stuff as I go...

That's helpful, THX    

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ticketsunlimited said:

The last thing they are going to worry about is that there is a pina colada waiting for you on your “perfect day”. 

How do you know I even drink...pretty cocky IMO.  In fact, I will not be imbibing on the island, we snorkel all day.   And....it's not Becca

Edited by BecciBoo

4 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Funny there is nothing to back up your statement.....its still on our itin.  And although I hurt for all the Bahamas, if CoCo Cay is receiving ships, they will need that revenue badly by then.....different strokes for different folks.....keep your pessimism, I'll keep my optimism and we'll both be happy.  I am well aware of the employees and that they have been evacuated.  Actually, there are dorms on the island where they stay.  And yes, the surge will inundate the island...as it has for millinia.  Cosmetics are easy.

RCCL has no announcements, yet, about whether we will be there so until they do make that decision, I will proceed as planned.  BTW I've been to CoCo Cay 4 times...you?

Only 3 times for me. Have not been there since updated.

we have nine of us going in January on symphony if it’s cleaned up by then. Fingers crossed. They just reported 200 mile per hour winds and categorized it as a “super Cat 5”

we have cruise to bermuda out of Boston on the 22nd on seranade. It’s hurricane season we are taking the same chance ourselves booking in September. We accept that everytime we slap down that down payment 

2 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

2 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Yesterday, this “4 times to CoCoCay”  poster was slamming another poster who might have been missing his first and only chance for a vacation.

Exactly the point I was trying to make...and now...

Yes...”Cosmetics” are easy for large profitable organizations to repair. Not so easy for island families subsisting on workers pay checks. Doubt they are dreaming of pina coladas today.

This is a monster storm. I do believe RCCL has participated in relief efforts in the past. I hope those plans are well underway as we speak, because they will be needed.

• Like 2

This is a bad one folks. The Bahamas are going to be destroyed. I suspect that it will slow down immensely as it approaches mainland Florida and thus the dirty side will be pounding the Bahamas.  Properties will be destroyed and lives lost. I pray for everyone's safety and hope everyone follow instructions and directions.  

I'm not sure what RCL will do regarding CoCoCay next week. But I suspect that since the timing of this storm is so close to our 9-7 Symphony cruise that RCL will most likely by-pass CoCoCay until damage assessment can be made. Perhps, if for any other reason than precautionary safety factor. I also suspect that our 9-7 Symphony cruise will end up going to Labadee instead. 

Pina Colada? Naw...

Pour me something tall & strong. Make it a Hurricane before I go insane. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

It will definitely take some time for them to make CocoCay pretty again even if they escape any structural damage.  Gotta clear off all the nasty that the water will bring in.  But perhaps the storm will scare off all the sea birds that steal people's food on the island.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Only 3 times for me. Have not been there since updated.

we have nine of us going in January on symphony if it’s cleaned up by then. Fingers crossed. They just reported 200 mile per hour winds and categorized it as a “super Cat 5”

we have cruise to bermuda out of Boston on the 22nd on seranade. It’s hurricane season we are taking the same chance ourselves booking in September. We accept that everytime we slap down that down payment 

This does look pretty bad in this report, actual footage: https://www.foxnews.com/us/hurricane-dorian-bahamas-warning-florida-carolinas

Todays notice on RCCL:

• We closed CocoCay on Wednesday, August 28th, 2019, and plan to reopen it on Wednesday, September 4th, 2019. Our CocoCay Team is made up of over 400 people, and the majority are locals. So, it’s important that they evacuate to care for their families and secure their homes, as soon as possible. We evaluated all options, and this is the best decision, as there is no room for error when it comes to the safety and security of our guests, crew, and employees. This is our top priority.
  • Currently, we don’t anticipate changes to any of our itineraries that depart on or after September 6th, 2019. Should anything change, we will contact impacted guests and Travel Partners directly.

If they do change we'll deal with it.  And your comment about "sometimes reality has to be accepted."  is just what I've been saying on just about every comment I've made...pragmatism included.  You cruise on, but that included optimism about our cruise.  I will proceed as planned until told otherwise.  We can repeat CoCo Cay whenever.  I'll still be cruisin!

13 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

This is a bad one folks. The Bahamas are going to be destroyed. I suspect that it will slow down immensely as it approaches mainland Florida and thus the dirty side will be pounding the Bahamas.  Properties will be destroyed and lives lost. I pray for everyone's safety and hope everyone follow instructions and directions.  

I'm not sure what RCL will do regarding CoCoCay next week. But I suspect that since the timing of this storm is so close to our 9-7 Symphony cruise that RCL will most likely by-pass CoCoCay until damage assessment can be made. Perhpas if for anything else than precautionary safety reasons. I also suspect that our 9-7 Symphony cruise will end up going to  Labadee instead.  

And that would be great for me...I'm in.  I'll miss seeing the improvement on CoCo but I love Labadee also.

There’s no chance Coco Cay will be open on Wednesday, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s closed for a month or more.  Expect to be changed to Nassau, which is only on the outer edge of the hurricane and should escape major damage.

39 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

How do you know I even drink...pretty cocky IMO.  In fact, I will not be imbibing on the island, we snorkel all day.   And....it's not Becca

23 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

The forecast for the Berry Islands says just rain and wind 15-25 mph for Dorian impact.  Not bad, a little clean up and we should be sipping our Mojitos in the Oasis pool by Thursday next.

Uh, probably not being cocky when YOU post about drinking mojitos :classic_wink: Just sayin...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Note that the post was 23 hours ago... when the track was slightly north of this part of the Bahamas... looks now like the track is through the center of this batch of islands... putting Berry Islands and Coco cay much closer to the center..... given that winds are 180 miles/hour with some gusts over 200.... sitting in the area for a day or more... could really rake clean these islands...  Also Abaco is expecting surge of 18-23 feet... not sure how much elevation these various islands have ...but 23 ft is high... and that is the surge..not wave action. Man I hope people evacuated to islands further south... I pray for a better outcome...but it keeps looking worse ...