Hurricane Dorian talk

3 minutes ago, SilentChill said:

1st September update from RCL says nothing has changed and Harmony will be still docking 4th September however Marine Traffic is saying different .

Maybe they will see if Dorian clears quicker or else it will be down to a 3 night cruise for us. After seeing what's hapenned in the Bahamas I'm really not all that bothered about missing a few days cruising   those peoples lives are ruined.

Screenshot_20190901-182842_MarineTraffic.jpg

Can you see what it says for allure

15 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

@bc cruiser Wow! Congrats on so many years of being together, and kudos for keeping a hopeful outlook despite getting pummeled 2 years in a row! I haven't seen much info on the recovery from Michael, so your experience is very instructive. It also shows how long the Bahamas may take to recover from Dorian. 

Good luck on your cruise, and, 8 days early, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! 

Thank you!  Fema is still picking up hurricane debris and it has been almost 11 months.  So many people lost everything and moved away, so county had to close 3 schools.  We had no power or water (city water) for over 2 weeks.  We bought a generator and survived with bottle water for everything.  The worst was taking a shower and shampooing your hair with a water bottle.  A few merchants have repaired or rebuilt but the county is only about 30% rebuilt.

• Thanks 1

I live about 100 miles from Panama City and we had a lot of minor damage in our area from Michael but still were without power for a week.  Orlando is only about 50 miles from Port Canaveral.  So the impact of these storms can be very widespread.  But my inconvenience for a week was nothing compared to what the counties to my west experienced.  I can drive a bit west on the interstate and all of a sudden all of the trees are leveled.  It's really surreal.  

Edited by AshleyDillo

For those of you wondering. Cococay is probably going to escape this relatively fine. Right now, they're probably experiencing winds of about ~50mph, and barring any major unexpected turn south, it shouldn't get much worse than that. There will probably be some damage from storm surge and the occasional hurricane force wind gust.

You can check out the NHC's website which has the wind radii https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/220614.shtml?gm_track#contents

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I live about 100 miles from Panama City and we had a lot of minor damage in our area from Michael but still were without power for a week.  Orlando is only about 50 miles from Port Canaveral.  So the impact of these storms can be very widespread.  But my inconvenience for a week was nothing compared to what the counties to my west experienced.  I can drive a bit west on the interstate and all of a sudden all of the trees are leveled.  It's really surreal.  

We live 100 miles west of Tallahassee.  You are right, even Calhoun and Liberty counties which are east of us, but west of you were damaged .  My niece lives in Calhoun county and they have acres and acres of property and they lost hundreds of pine trees.  

Air Canada and Westjet have cancelled all their FLL flights for tomorrow September 2nd.

Air Canada will operate only 2 flights departing Orlando tomorrow September 2nd (1 to Toronto and 1 to Montreal, both in the evening).

Westjet has cancelled all its Orlando (MCO) flights for tomorrow September 2nd.

Latest update from captain johnny - we’re sailing north and will spend the next day or so cruising around the south coast of Cuba waiting for word from the coast guard and the pc harbormaster when pc is cleared for commercial ship traffic. He was non-commital on when we would actually get back. The message was that we were still shooting for Wednesday, but he didn’t sound at all confident that would happen. 

As an aside, when tropical storm Hugo ran back and forth across Florida, pc silted in and it took a week for them to clear the channel. So as long as the beer holds out, we’re on here for the duration.

we did take on provisions from mariner while we were in Cozumel today, so all is good. 

2 hours ago, bc cruiser said:

Thank you!  So do we, as it still looks like a war zone.  About 6 miles west of us is beautiful, they still have trees, we have none.

Thank you!  So do we, as it still looks like a war zone.  About 6 miles west of us is beautiful, they still have trees, we have none.

Thats what I said earlier in this thread. Ten miles can make a huge difference! 

Thank you!  Fema is still picking up hurricane debris and it has been almost 11 months.  So many people lost everything and moved away, so county had to close 3 schools.  We had no power or water (city water) for over 2 weeks.  We bought a generator and survived with bottle water for everything.  The worst was taking a shower and shampooing your hair with a water bottle.  A few merchants have repaired or rebuilt but the county is only about 30% rebuilt.

Thank you for sharing your story and congratulations on your anniversary!  It's sad how soon those of us forget and move on after disasters. I was just wondering about donating, but wonder where the money goes. Best wishes to you,!

4 minutes ago, nalatrixie74 said:

Thank you for sharing your story and congratulations on your anniversary!  It's sad how soon those of us forget and move on after disasters. I was just wondering about donating, but wonder where the money goes. Best wishes to you,!

Thank you!  People have been lied too, scammed and more .  That is why we are only using local contractors that are licensed, and insured.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Latest update from captain johnny - we’re sailing north and will spend the next day or so cruising around the south coast of Cuba waiting for word from the coast guard and the pc harbormaster when pc is cleared for commercial ship traffic. He was non-commital on when we would actually get back. The message was that we were still shooting for Wednesday, but he didn’t sound at all confident that would happen. 

As an aside, when tropical storm Hugo ran back and forth across Florida, pc silted in and it took a week for them to clear the channel. So as long as the beer holds out, we’re on here for the duration.

we did take on provisions from mariner while we were in Cozumel today, so all is good. 

Your not in my cabin are you?  Lol  I wish I was you so lucky 

P.s. I'm certain it will be Thursday now 

Edited by SilentChill
Edit

10 minutes ago, Glide_Path said:

If the ship ends up in a different port, are they obligated to get the passengers to the originally scheduled port?  Like a airline?

I'm not sure if they're obligated but from what I've seen when it has happened they take care of it.  Only thing is they do it on their terms.

12 minutes ago, Glide_Path said:

If the ship ends up in a different port, are they obligated to get the passengers to the originally scheduled port?  Like a airline?

When it happened to us a few years back they bused us back up to Port Canaveral. The issue was the channel needed to cleared and verified for depth before they would let the cruise ship into port.

3 hours ago, mattb31 said:

For those of you wondering. Cococay is probably going to escape this relatively fine. Right now, they're probably experiencing winds of about ~50mph, and barring any major unexpected turn south, it shouldn't get much worse than that. There will probably be some damage from storm surge and the occasional hurricane force wind gust.

You can check out the NHC's website which has the wind radii https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/220614.shtml?gm_track#contents

From a post today:

As of last night, James Van Fleet — Royal Caribbean’s meteorologist — posted to his Twitter account a forecast of wind gusts reaching nearly 100 miles per hour on CocoCay. No matter how well built, an island seeing that sort of wind (along with rain and waves) is likely to see some damage.

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

6,000 passengers on Harmony 🤣

Time to schedule Oasis class for an 2 day eco-excursion on Coco Cay. 6000 pax can pay $50 for a day to help clean it up, and if they get it clean enough they can pay $175 to use it on the 2nd day.  BYOC, however: build your own cabana.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2