Hurricane Dorian talk

3 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

From a post today:

As of last night, James Van Fleet — Royal Caribbean’s meteorologist — posted to his Twitter account a forecast of wind gusts reaching nearly 100 miles per hour on CocoCay. No matter how well built, an island seeing that sort of wind (along with rain and waves) is likely to see some damage.

Key word forecast

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Time to schedule Oasis class for an 2 day eco-excursion on Coco Cay. 6000 pax can pay $50 for a day to help clean it up, and if they get it clean enough they can pay $175 to use it on the 2nd day.  BYOC, however: build your own cabana.

They can't do it. Liability issues, plus they'd be taking jobs away from the locals and their own employees. 

We were on the Liberty right after the earthquake in Haiti. Many people thought RCL should cancel Labadee because they were afraid of.. who knows... I guess they thought the locals would over take the ship and storm the Windjammer or whatever. RCL's opinion was they've had a long term partnership with the people of Haiti and they don't desert their friends when they need them the most. The Liberty brought food and supplies to help and did so for a long time after. The vendors that RCL uses donated tons of the food and other things. We went to Labadee, which really wasn't affected by the e.q. anyway, had a lovely time and spent a little extra money at the flea market. 

My point, the best way to help all the islands is to go there and spend money. Or FL, Hatteras, Charleston, where ever people will need to rebuild. All these places depend on tourism. So be a tourist, no guilt required.   

Don't worry about Coco Cay. RCL has plenty of money to rebuild and will do it in a hurry.  

• Like 1

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We continue to carefully monitor Hurricane Dorian – its strength and path seem to be quite unpredictable. Our intention is still to set sail from Port Canaveral on Wednesday, September 4th, 2019. Should anything change, we will contact you immediately.

Our goal is to keep you well-informed and be as communicative as possible. Our team of experts are working around the clock and we hope to have more information to share with you by tomorrow, September 2nd, 2019, at 6:00 PM EDT, or sooner.

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this unforeseen circumstance.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International  

1 minute ago, Etta1213 said:

Ref helping local economies, I sometimes wish we could go into a port and see more crafts, etc, that actually had been made by the locals, instead of shot glasses, other repetitive junk.

Do more for local economy and people with our Tourists $$$ buying stuff from those shot glasses and repetitive junk then ever could from Crafts

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Latest update from captain johnny - we’re sailing north and will spend the next day or so cruising around the south coast of Cuba waiting for word from the coast guard and the pc harbormaster when pc is cleared for commercial ship traffic. He was non-commital on when we would actually get back. The message was that we were still shooting for Wednesday, but he didn’t sound at all confident that would happen. 

As an aside, when tropical storm Hugo ran back and forth across Florida, pc silted in and it took a week for them to clear the channel. So as long as the beer holds out, we’re on here for the duration.

we did take on provisions from mariner while we were in Cozumel today, so all is good. 

You pillaged the Mariner?!?!??!!  😮

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bc cruiser said:

Hi everyone, I live in Panama City, Fl. (850-Strong).  On Oct. 10, 2018 we stayed in our home and rode out Hurricane Michael, a category 5.  It took us 5 months before we could get a roof back on our home.  We live on a cul-de-sac and when we walked out of our home, we didn't recognize our neighborhood.  I have lived here all my life and never experienced a hurricane like Michael, so folks I don't believe Coco Cay will reopen for a very long time.  We just got our Motorhome out of the repair shop, it had over $18, 000 damage from the hurricane.  We lived in it with blue tarps over the entire MH until June, 2019.  Our home is still not completely repaired, but we can live in some rooms, and we booked a cruise on Mariner for Sept. 23, 2019 last year before the storm hit us, and we probably will not be going to Coco Cay either.    RCCL does their best to keep you safe, so if you book and your cruise doesn't go as planned, just be thankful they do what they think is best for your safety.  We always buy insurance to protect us, and we had to  

use it in Sept.2017, we had to cancel our cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, because the roads were blocked between the panhandle and there, we were going to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary, so we rebooked a cruise for October 21, 2018 and Hurricane Michael hit us on Oct. 10, 2018 and we couldn't leave our home because of all the damages, so again we are trying for Sept. 23, 2019.  Our anniversary is Sept. 9th.  

My daughter lives on the east side of Panama City Beach, Fl, just passed the bridge. She also rode out Hurricane Michael last year at home... her home repairs were finally completed and she was able to move back into her home just last month, Aug 2019.  She was “luckier” than many with her home repairs... her ex-husband works for a contractor, and since they have an amicable relationship, he was the general for her repairs/rebuild. She didn’t have to deal with the scammers, repair rip off artists, etc.  She lived in a friend’s RV which they parked in her driveway for the majority of those 9+ months.

These storms are so unpredictable... she had a neighbor behind her with minimal damage, a neighbor to the side of her lost almost everything. My thoughts go out to anyone affected by the hurricanes. 

Best of luck to you with the remainder of your repairs, and hope you get to take your next cruise with no problems! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I wonder if Royal has State Farm?

I saw they are covering Cheryl's She Shed.

I know this is funny, however, I have been a State Farm customer since I turned 18 and bought my first car in 1967, since then , more and more cars, trucks, boats, 2 homes and they have been there for me if I needed them.  When Hurricane Michael hit us on Oct.10, 2018, I filed a claim and immediately we had 2 adjusters come to our house and spend over 4 hours assessing our damages.  In a few weeks we received 1 check to get started buying tarps and things to protect our property and in another week or two, we received a very large check to start repairing and replacing, then as projects got repaired or replaced we sent the completed invoice and was reimbursed  for the actual cash value, no depreciation .  Also got checks for the Toyota truck and the Hyundai Sonata.  We got contents check also,  My She Shed was split in half , so I got a new She Shed for $10,000 built on my property.  I am 71 years old and will probably die being a State Farm customer,

Insert other media.url

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

RCI evacuated CocoCay right? Looks like Disney Cruise Line left staffers on their private island “Castaway Cay” during Hurricane Dorian and a family member of one of them wasn’t happy and voiced her displeasure via social media. 😉

The Miami Herald article goes on to say that a company spokesman said  “evacuating the staff would have been difficult because the staffers would have had to take a boat and then a plane” . 

“A crew of Disney Cruise Line workers rode out the most powerful hurricane to hit the Northwest Bahamas on a private island the company calls Castaway Cay.

The company, responding to social media questions raised by the sister of one staffer, insisted that its employees were safe in a strong hurricane shelter as the eye of the 185 mile per hour hurricane passed just to the north. 

“My sister is stuck in the middle of a Cat 5 hurricane. We were told they would evacuate and they didn’t. Left them behind!! Why??,” Meg Green posted on Twitter. In another tweet, she wrote: “Remember that time [Disney Cruises] left 97 employees on a tiny island in a Catagory 5 hurricane? I do.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article234627417.html

Edited by SeaHunt
Link

1:00 am update re Grand Bahama, yikes

Hurricane Dorian Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL052019
100 AM EDT Mon Sep 02 2019

...CATASTROPHIC STORM SURGE FLOODING LIKELY OCCURRING ON GRAND
BAHAMA ISLAND...

This is a life-threatening situation.  Residents on Grand Bahama
Island should not leave their shelter when the eye passes over, as
winds will rapidly increase on the other side of the eye.  Residents
in the Abacos should continue to stay in their shelter until
conditions subside later today.

Hazards:
- Wind Gusts over 200 mph
- Storm Surge 18 to 23 feet above normal tide levels with higher
destructive waves

These hazards will cause extreme destruction in the affected areas
and will continue for several hours.

7 hours ago, Vitesacd said:

Thank you for the support lol. Obviously the people of the Bahamas are priority, I was just wondering what RC would do if their island was destroyed after all that hype. 

It will not be destroyed...only damaged...after a few weeks all is good...it was only a storm at Cococay...wind speeds op 8-10 Beaufort. Only the cruises in September will be affected.

9 hours ago, mattpro said:

Dear Guest,

We continue to carefully monitor Hurricane Dorian – its strength and path seem to be quite unpredictable. Our intention is still to set sail from Port Canaveral on Wednesday, September 4th, 2019. Should anything change, we will contact you immediately.

Which ship are you scheduled to be on? We've been moved to Sept. 4th on Majesty out of Port Everglades and have not had any further communication.

I did receive 2 emails this morning with copies of my "cruise documents" stating a sailing time of 6 pm today! Odd.

Does anybody know whether they have a hurricane shelter on Coco Cay?  Where would they put all those chairs during this hurricane?  I would assume they take the balloon away also but where would they put it?

I am positive but hoping I am wrong, Coco Cay will have alot of damage from Hurricane Dorian, I am booked on October 14th on the Navigator and going to assume I won't be going to Coco Cay because of the damage?  Anybody know where they dock now in place of Coco Cay, any guesses?  I will be on the Harmony in January and I would assume she be all good by then.

Just wished we had some news about Coco Cay and this hurricane, but I realize its pounding the heck out of the Bahamas and nobody knows.  Wonder, if any workers stood on the island?  Disney kept their workers there and claim they have a hurricane shelter on the island there that withstands a Cat 5 hurricane, wonder if RC has one on Coco Cay?

8 hours ago, korpo024 said:

Lol...well the damage on Cococay will not be that big....only winds of 8-10 Bft. Cococay will be saved....Marsh Harbour not....there was the eye of the hurricane...so you are lucky! Your vacation is saved!

Hope you are still alive by then (with all of the gun violence in the US....) So have a nice vacation on Perfect Day Cococay!

Wow...just wow. :classic_rolleyes:

8 hours ago, korpo024 said:

Lol...well the damage on Cococay will not be that big....only winds of 8-10 Bft. Cococay will be saved....Marsh Harbour not....there was the eye of the hurricane...so you are lucky! Your vacation is saved!

Hope you are still alive by then (with all of the gun violence in the US....) So have a nice vacation on Perfect Day Cococay!

What the heck does any of this have to do with gun violence? We are talking about the Hurricane, not politics. 

• Like 7

When I read this email there is not a request for us to do anything to choose the credit. We checked in early last week before all of the Dorian impacts started. Anyway, am I safe to assume that if we simply do not show up that we will receive the credit via email as noted in the email below. I tried to call the customer service line and they are closed due to the holiday which is pretty astonishing given all that is happening......

Dear Guest,

After careful review of Hurricane Dorian’s path, our Navigator of the Seas sailing will now depart on Wednesday, September 4th, 2019, instead of Monday, September 2nd, 2019. We’re terribly sorry for this last-minute change, but made this decision to maintain a comfortable cruise and avoid adverse weather at the beginning of our journey. Please know, your safety is and always will be our top priority; it’s not something we’d ever jeopardize. Although sailing later than we originally planned, we’re looking forward to welcoming you aboard. Below, please find our new itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Wed

Miami, Florida

4:00 PM

Thurs

Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas

7:00 AM

6:00 PM

Fri

Miami, Florida

6:00 AM

While these circumstances are beyond our control, we understand they impact your vacation. To help make up for this unexpected change, we’re providing you with the following:

• A refund, which will be added to your Onboard Account as a refundable onboard credit. Plus, a Future Cruise Credit so that you can come back and sail with us.
    • Both amounts will be in the value of the 2 days your cruise was shortened by, and based on the total cruise fare paid, per person, non-inclusive of taxes and fees.
  • In addition, if you purchased an internet, beverage, unlimited dining package, or pre-paid your gratuities, you’ll receive a prorated refund as a credit for the 2 days your cruise was shortened by to your Onboard Account.
  • Any pre-purchased Royal Caribbean International shore excursions for the impacted ports will also be refunded to your Onboard Account.

All credits applied to your Onboard Account can be used anywhere onboard, and any unused credits will be refunded back to your credit card on file about 3 – 5 business days after the sailing ends.

Please know, we’re currently working with some of our airline partners, as some have agreed to waive change fees for our guests due to this special circumstance. Please contact your airline service provider for additional details. Unfortunately, if your airline does not waive the change fees, you’ll be responsible for any charges incurred.

While we hope you choose to sail with us, if you decide not to sail, we’ll provide you with: 

• A 100% Future Cruise Credit of your cruise fare paid, in hopes you’ll join us on another cruise vacation in the near future. You can expect to receive your Future Cruise Credit by email by Friday, September 20th, 2019.
  • You’ll also receive a full refund for any pre-purchased items like, shore excursions, beverage packages, pre-paid gratuities, and your taxes & fees. If you booked a non-refundable fare, fees will be waived.

We are truly sorry for the storm’s impact on your vacation. Our guests’ and crew’s safety is our number one priority and while not the itinerary we originally anticipated, we know your time with us will be nothing short of amazing.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International