Hurricane Dorian talk

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Not bad!  We were out of power in Bradenton for two days from Irma.

We lost power in FLL for ten days with Wilma. 

The Galleria was our go to place to charge devices, have lunch/dinner and it was PACKED!

My mother who was with us, loved eating out all the time.

My husband and I sat out back drinking red wine and looking at the stars which were amazing because there was no ambient light!

My mother watched soaps and Wheel of Fortune on a five inch portable TV with antenna.  She was very content and happy!  

Edited by Judyrem
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, STANMELB said:

We live in Melbourne, Florida. As of now not sure if we can make it to Port Everglades tomorrow. Will have to wait and see if we experience any property damage tonight. If we do not sail, Crown Loft # 1756 will be available.  

Hoping everything is okay at home and you can do your delayed September 1st trip today.  Maybe we can wave getting on Sunday as you are departing. lol.  Regards, Gerry.

Edited by buckeye rob

13 hours ago, BellKat said:

You are worried about your anniversary & hundreds of people no longer have a home?

Hurricanes are a part of life in the Caribbean as well as the entire east coast. The midwest has it's catastrophic cyclones and don't even get me started with California. So let's just all stop living and enjoying life and dwell on the misfortunes of the world.  

• Like 11

19 hours ago, george35 said:

We were  supposed to be on a B/B on the Harmony leaving from Port Canaveral on Sept. 1st thru the 15th. We got a notice that we would be leaving on the 4th Then 2 days later we would leave on the 5th, thats were it stands now. So from a 14 day cruise its down to a 10 & not sure of that yet. Hope we make it on board on the 5th because we are celebrating our 62nd annv. & are expecting a gift from Mr Bailey, his sec. said it was a surprise, hope she didnt forget because we have been going nuts trying to figure out what it could be. Wish us luck.

george35

Congratulations on 62 years together. Safe travels.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, george35 said:

Hope we make it on board on the 5th because we are celebrating our 62nd annv. 

george35

62 years, wow!!  Congratulations on achieving an anniversary that my husband and I hope to be able to enjoy one day.

Have a wonderful cruise, now that it looks to be back on schedule.  ☺️

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Being onboard a ship is one of the safest places to be during a storm, because we are faster and can move out of the way of any inclement weather.

I'm glad to see they finally learned to stop sailing into the storms as they have in the past when sailing out of Bayonne.

10 minutes ago, fred30 said:

I'm glad to see they finally learned to stop sailing into the storms as they have in the past when sailing out of Bayonne.

I'd like the Chief to weigh in on that incident, because I think there's much more to it than what appears.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I'd like the Chief to weigh in on that incident, because I think there's much more to it than what appears.

The storm was coming up off the coast and NOAA was predicting the possible formation of Hurricane force winds before the Anthem departed but the Captain decided to take the Athem straight down between the storm and the coast leaving no way to escape.  

I don't know what forecast he was listening to but it surely wasn't NOAA.

4 minutes ago, fred30 said:

The storm was coming up off the coast and NOAA was predicting the possible formation of Hurricane force winds before the Anthem departed but the Captain decided to take the Athem straight down between the storm and the coast leaving no way to escape.  

Again, I believe there are more factors in that situation.

• Like 1

Whew we really missed a "big one". Everything's fine here, and the pictures of the ports with the ships in port posted above really make my heart sing! I keep thinking of that old song "We're always happy, Life's for living, yeah, that's our philosophy" :classic_biggrin:

Wishing good cruises to everyone heading out, and am so happy you'll be getting on a ship! Have fun! 

Edited by SeaHunt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, fred30 said:

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

1 hour ago, fred30 said:

The Anthem Captain's plan, based on the projected path of the storm (which was only forecast for "developing hurricane force winds" on Sunday, when the ship was predicted to be past the storm) was to keep to the northwest quadrant of the storm (between the storm center and the US coastline) as this quadrant has some of the lowest wind speeds in a cyclonic storm (the wind is blowing south in this quadrant, and the storm is moving north, so the speed of advance is subtracted from the wind speed:  for example, a storm with 100mph winds moving at 10 mph, has winds of 110mph in the northeast quadrant, but only 90mph in the northwest quadrant).  The first official warning of actual hurricane force winds (64-75mph) was issued at 3:45 Saturday, shortly before the Anthem sailed.

Skirting the northwest quadrant of a storm is a common practice, and other ships, just not cruise ships, so no one mentioned them, were out there doing the same course (or the reciprocal) as the Anthem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3