Hurricane Dorian talk

3 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

How in the world can 2200 people be without power? I live in Saint Lucie County and 77 were down for a short time and in Port Saint Lucie only 6. FPL put in a major solar farm and that went down? I would be up in arms against FPL for this. Tropical storm winds at best.

I have no idea. This is what Volusia County reported. 

4 hours ago, cruisebabe50 said:

Anyone have any news on Cococay?  We are doing a 3 day on the Navigator 9/13 and it is one of our stops.  I know they have put so much money and time into it and wonder what the damages are.  

James van Fleet tweeted photos 2 days ago, which showed Coco Cay sustained no damage, not even vegetation. They were checking just to see when their Bahamian employees were going to be able to get back to work.  

6 hours ago, SilentChill said:

Cheers I'm on board Harmony  finally !!! Time to drink myself to death !! 

20190905_105332.jpg

Pretty difficult for me to drink myself to death with Bud Light, I would explode first!😉🤪  Now Long Island Iced tea is whole other matter.

Have fun!  Remember carpe diem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, cruisebabe50 said:

Anyone have any news on Cococay?  We are doing a 3 day on the Navigator 9/13 and it is one of our stops.  I know they have put so much money and time into it and wonder what the damages are.  

Travel Weekly reports Royal Caribbean President and CEO Michael Bayley said, "a preliminary team landed on the island late on Sept. 3 and that three teams with different specialties were there on Sept. 4. He said they estimated the winds from Hurricane Dorian reached the Category 2 or 3 levels of 96 to 129 miles an hour."

Damage to CocoCay was most significant on the north side of the island, near the dock that was recently added.  Hurricane Dorian's counter-clockwise winds had a tendency to steer the greatest amount of debris, while the south side of the island was relatively spared.

Up, Up and Away helium balloon will remain temporarily closed for an undisclosed amount of time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Uniqeni said:

Anyone know what ship or ships  they will be using to station in Bahamas as part of relief efforts? 

I thought Empress already made the first delivery of relief supplies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uniqeni said:

Anyone know what ship or ships  they will be using to station in Bahamas as part of relief efforts? 

I don't think any will be stationed there.  Empress is there now unloading relief supplies as described in the following article which I posted earlier.  She will be back to Miami on Saturday for the regularly scheduled program.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-ne-hurricane-dorian-cruise-relief-20190904-jr6lhn7y2bgm5gxftrvv3invmu-story.html

19 minutes ago, Uniqeni said:

Empress anchored off Freeport this morning to unload supplies.  Bahamas Paradise sets sail at 8pm tonight to unload off Freeport tomorrow morning.  Sailings for 9/7, 9/9, and 9/11 have been cancelled to continue to make crossings from Palm Beach to Freeport with supplies.  Celebrity Equinox will be at Freeport tomorrow morning.  Norwegian Breakaway leaving Miami today.   After that MSC (cargo line and cruise line) and Tropical shipping (out of Palm Beach in partnership with Carnival) will head for Freeport 

You can see the Bahamas Paradise Grand Celebration on camera now and watch sailaway soon.  

https://video-monitoring.com/beachcams/lakeworthinlet/

Not sure if Instagram links work here 

• Like 2

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but we received the following email regarding our Mariner sailing tomorrow:

Dear Guest,

The damage left by Hurricane Dorian across the Bahamas is truly devastating. So, in partnership with the Pan American Development Foundation (PADF ) and The Bahamas Feeding Network, we’re working to provide disaster relief to our neighbors and friends during this catastrophic time. Thus far, we’ve delivered over 10,000 meals, 10,000 bottles of water, medical supplies, generators and other necessities - we’re rolling up our sleeves during this time of extreme need! In addition, we’ve sent a team of specially trained RCL employees and volunteers to assist with logistics and food and beverage efforts.

Our mission is that every one of our vessels in the area, continues to provide assistance. As a result of these special circumstances, we’ll spend Saturday morning in Grand Bahamas Island to assist with disaster relief, then we’ll visit Nassau from 2:30 PM to 11:00 PM. So, during your cruise, you may see new guests. They are evacuees like, children, elderly, or those that need immediate medical attention, that will be transported to Nassau hospitals via tenders. We want to make them feel as comfortable as possible and look forward to welcoming them with open arms.

All these efforts are part of our overall $1 million disaster relief efforts to help The Bahamas, which has been part of our family for nearly five decades. To make sure our donations go where they can do the most good. Our donation includes matching every dollar of guest and employee donations to the PADF so they can help our friends as well. We can’t make every bad memory of Dorian go away. But, we can start making things better - today. If you would also like to contribute please visit www.padf.org/hurricane-dorian-royal.  

Lastly, while CocoCay was somewhat spared from Hurricane Dorian's destruction and we did not have any major damage, the storm left behind debris, washed away some of our sand and bricks, and took down many of our trees. We started working on repairs as quickly as possible, but we kindly ask that "you mind our dust" or sand, as we continue our very own recovery efforts. 

As our guests, your understanding during this catastrophic time is appreciated, not only by us at Royal Caribbean International, but by those we are helping. We thank you for this.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

• Like 4

So they are going to bring onboard shell shocked, grieving evacuees during an active cruise with people partying and maximizing their drinking package? Maybe its just me but a dedicated empty ship such as Majesty or Empress would be best served for this.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, rolloman said:

So they are going to bring onboard shell shocked, grieving evacuees during an active cruise with people partying and maximizing their drinking package? Maybe its just me but a dedicated empty ship such as Majesty or Empress would be best served for this.

Seems like it's only for a few hours

• Like 1

I'm sure things will work out fine, although it would be interesting to hear how accommodation of the evacuees is handled. I would think they might give them any empty cabins, and if I were them that's probably where I'd want to stay. Or, maybe they'll put them in the conference center or one of the other larger venues. They should have the option of privacy, including meals, and only venture into the common areas and other restaurants if they feel up to it and want to.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NO_Member_Name said:

I'm sure things will work out fine, although it would be interesting to hear how accommodation of the evacuees is handled. I would think they might give them any empty cabins, and if I were them that's probably where I'd want to stay. Or, maybe they'll put them in the conference center or one of the other larger venues. They should have the option of privacy, including meals, and only venture into the common areas and other restaurants if they feel up to it and want to.

I doubt they will be allowed to roam the ship. But then again this is such a bad idea nothing would surprise me. Think about the bacteria and infections one could bring on board from the polluted water and debris some of these folks have been surviving in the past week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rolloman said:

I doubt they will be allowed to roam the ship. But then again this is such a bad idea nothing would surprise me. Think about the bacteria and infections one could bring on board from the polluted water and debris some of these folks have been surviving in the past week. 

I would think that those considerations would be secondary to helping hurricane victims.   I agree that there may be some exposure, but I also think that it can be managed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nalatrixie74 said:

i cant imagine too many have their passports or birth certificates after all of that, hopefully they grabbed them

You do realize that they are only taking them from one of the island in The Bahama to their own Capitol, in Nassau?  Not back to Miami, there's no need for a passport in this case.

Edited by Plum Happy

6 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

You do realize that they are only taking them from one of the island in The Bahama to their own Capitol, in Nassau?  Not back to Miami, there's no need for a passport in this case.

I believe the previous poster was referring to the IG post about Bahamas Paradise cruise line that is evacuating Bahamians to the US if they wish to go and have their passports or BC's.  The IG post also refers to transporting Bahamians back from Florida that had left due to the coming hurricane. 

Edited by MandyMooToo
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

I believe the previous poster was referring to the IG post about Bahamas Paradise cruise line that is evacuating Bahamians to the US if they wish to go and have their passports or BC's.  The IG post also refers to transporting Bahamians back from Florida that had left due to the coming hurricane. 

ok.

• Like 1