Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

1 hour ago, OceanPatter said:

Nice try, CurlerRob! The first two drinks are actually a Dark + Stormy and an Aperol  Spritz. (The empty Manhattan and Martini belong to our inimitable Jim Avery.)

Sorry Opie but my empty was an Old Fashion.😎

10 hours ago, MadMarine said:

Jim,

As a Knob Creek Manhattan fanboy, not dissing the Old Fashion, any chance the charming Sun carries my fav?

Mad

Yes, there is Ole Knobby onboard.  Might have to try your drink tonight for you....  Extra cherries??😳🥃

12 hours ago, OceanPatter said:

Nice try, CurlerRob! The first two drinks are actually a Dark + Stormy and an Aperol  Spritz. (The empty Manhattan and Martini belong to our inimitable Jim Avery.)

Ah well, at least I got the obvious one. Should have known the D&S as well, we’ve had enough time in Bermuda!

Thx, OP 🥌🍺

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Yes, there is Ole Knobby onboard.  Might have to try your drink tonight for you....  Extra cherries??😳🥃

3, cherries that is, is my limit.  Do they stock any more exotic vermouth or is it the standard Martini & Rossi Rosso?  I’m especially fond of the Carpano Antica Formula, no bitters needed with this gem.  Cheers!  Have one on me.  
Only 466 days ‘til my World Cruise.  Need to plan ahead!!!

1 minute ago, MadMarine said:

3, cherries that is, is my limit.  Do they stock any more exotic vermouth or is it the standard Martini & Rossi Rosso?  I’m especially fond of the Carpano Antica Formula, no bitters needed with this gem.  Cheers!  Have one on me.  
Only 466 days ‘til my World Cruise.  Need to plan ahead!!!

Just for you I will do some research on this.  Will report back as to what they use.  And your 466 days will be here before you know it. 🥃

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Just for you I will do some research on this.  Will report back as to what they use.  And your 466 days will be here before you know it. 🥃

Mr. Avery, 

I do expect extensive, meticulous research on this most serious of topics.  I’ve been told that it is important to have multiple, 2:1 oz single-sitting samples, using a variety of vermouths to truly appreciate the impact. 🥴

Enjoying your adventure from the armchair, Mad.

10 minutes ago, MadMarine said:

Mr. Avery, 

I do expect extensive, meticulous research on this most serious of topics.  I’ve been told that it is important to have multiple, 2:1 oz single-sitting samples, using a variety of vermouths to truly appreciate the impact. 🥴

Enjoying your adventure from the armchair, Mad.

I shall do my best. Never say no to a Marine. A simple Sir! Yes Sir!! is usually sufficient.🥃

2 hours ago, MadMarine said:

I have every confidence in your ability to carry out your duties with appropriate diligence. Carry on! 🥃

After extensive recon and considerable sneaking I have confirmed Knob Creek at the Torshavn Bar only. Vermouth onboard is Martini variations and Lillet. Hope this helps.

9FD35702-1E13-4BF8-A78F-B39F46AD4FCA.jpeg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OceanPatter said:

Ah well, at least I got the obvious one. Should have known the D&S as well, we’ve had enough time in Bermuda!

Thx, OP 🥌🍺

46 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

After extensive recon and considerable sneaking I have confirmed Knob Creek at the Torshavn Bar only. Vermouth onboard is Martini variations and Lillet. Hope this helps.

9FD35702-1E13-4BF8-A78F-B39F46AD4FCA.jpeg

Well done, Mr. Avery.  Your diligence shall not go unrewarded.  Please have another on me. 🥃.  Nice pic, too.

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

OP, great shot of the cliffs - here’s mine from a different angle.  It was great to see a new part of my country, never mind the weather!  🥌

065138EF-07F7-4943-85C1-5F00FBC3ACBA.jpeg

I agree, Rob - it was great to see another part of Canada today.  I’ve visited Montreal and Quebec City before, but I’ve never been to the Saguenay area.  There’s a strong sense of place here, borne out by today’s wonderful production of La Fabuleuse.

As for the lack of sun, I wouldn’t sweat it too much (pun intended).  I know I don’t.  Right now I’m receiving post-op treatment for Stage 3 metastatic melanoma.  So I can easily do without sunny skies.

Edited by DaveSJ711

A beautiful day here in Quebec City.  Sunny and crisp with the leaves beginning to turn.  We took the shuttle into the old town and meandered all the way up to the Chateau Frontenac.  Very impressive architecture and nice quaint cobbled side streets.  Had the poutine for a snack to keep up energy but thoroughly enjoyed the walkabout.  As there are six ships in port today it was rather crowded but still a beautiful place.  We are scheduled to be docked right across from the old town when we return in 3 days.  Hope the weather is this good in Montreal.  

On 9/22/2019 at 4:44 AM, Jim Avery said:

Dave, not sure why the snarkiness but I lived and worked in Alaska and imo the Greenland scenery is small beer compared to the spectacular scenery of Alaska.  And what little I have seen of Norway inspires the same comparison to Greenland.  The scenic cruising in Greenland would be spectacular for someone seeing Arctic type fjords for the first time.  In all it was much better than spending the day slogging along offshore.  Ashore in Greenland for more fun stuff.😎

Jim, have you been to Antarctica? I've only ever been to Alaska and Antarctica and both were trips of a lifetime full of breath taking beauty. I hope one day to visit the Baltics and Greenland.

18 minutes ago, mamapirk said:

Jim, have you been to Antarctica? I've only ever been to Alaska and Antarctica and both were trips of a lifetime full of breath taking beauty. I hope one day to visit the Baltics and Greenland.

No I have not been there.  Would love to.  So many places, so little time (and money).😎

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

No I have not been there.  Would love to.  So many places, so little time (and money).😎

Sad, but true. I, like so many others, enjoy living vicariously through your travels. Thoroughly enjoyed following along with your first world cruise and thank you for sharing your adventures with all.

• Like 1

Alas, we also depart in Montreal. 

To CurlerRob - so nice to ‘meet’ you on this thread.

To Tom from NC - I met a lot of nice men on the ship, asking them if they were you (the bearded ones), but finally gave up (out of embarrassment).

To Mr. Avery - please keep us entertained and enthralled. And keep downing those Old Fashions!

To all who are continuing on - wishing you fair winds and following seas. (And sea days when the roof actually retracts.)

CABD5E16-234B-4467-B5DA-759D1ACB12C7.jpeg

BonVoyage to all our new friends departing in Montreal.  You have been a lively bunch with a few new posters.  Just because you might be leaving today doesn't mean you have to leave this thread.  Please keep posting.  Let us know what you are doing and what you would like us to find out for you.  All the best and safe travels posters .  J & L xx

• Like 1

Just a thought to Jim et al.  Your thread has now reached 325 posts.  Would it be an idea to start a "thread 2" from, say Montreal to the next suitable break point to make it easier for we landlubbers to navigate?  And for future WCers in years to come.  You would leave the first thread open for late future posts about the journey to Canada, of course.  As I say, just a thought from an avid reader. who likes an easy life.