Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

On 3/28/2020 at 8:54 PM, Jim Avery said:

Andy, what is ETA for Suez? I found the Suez transit very interesting. 😎

Jim - Currently in the Red Sea, having reduced speed from the transit through the high risk zone, we should be at the Port Suez anchorages by the evening of April 2nd. I anticipate the ditch through the desert transit on April 3rd, then we are bound for Lisbon, on or around April 11th.

If we go through in daylight, I am actually looking forward to it, as all my previous transits of Suez were at night.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 7:36 PM, Insanityx4 said:

I was looking at the position and location of the Sun this morning and noticed the destination is  ARMED GUARDS. Is this what I think it means? Andy, are there ARMED GUARDS with you? It looks like you are off the coast of Somalia. I also noticed another cruise ship that states ARMED GUARDS ON BOARD. If there are guards on board, when did they arrive and where will they get off? How many and how heavily armed? Sounds a little scary but I know Viking takes every precaution to keep pax and crew safe.

Not sure why that is listed on the AIS, but I did see it. Unfortunately, I can't comment on any activities, even although we have already cleared those waters. Sorry.

25 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Not sure why that is listed on the AIS, but I did see it. Unfortunately, I can't comment on any activities, even although we have already cleared those waters. Sorry.

Pretty much figured that waa the case. So glad you made it through the bad zone. Keep safe!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liz Masterson said:

They have come up with Viking.tv weblink to post messages and stories about world travel. 

Am I the only one who would love to see a regular 5-10 minute story about how you all are currently living together on the Viking Sun?  

Count Me In😌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

They have come up with Viking.tv weblink to post messages and stories about world travel. 

Am I the only one who would love to see a regular 5-10 minute story about how you all are currently living together on the Viking Sun? 

snipped from the new Viking.TV (in other words, you can't click on the image but you can click here)

image.thumb.png.3b593c4223ebaf7b729b65e274151914.png

So glad you folks are in the Med now. Looks like the Sea got to Lisbon and is now heading to the  UK (GB PME?) The Sea also stopped at Lisbon and is enroute to Portsmouth. I'm happy that all 6 ships are either safe at anchorage or transiting to a clear destination. Let's hope you Canadians - sturdy folks I know you to be - will finally achieve a safe homecoming. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2020 at 3:24 PM, Jim Avery said:

I really hope a wake up call comes from all of this.  Having to be dependent on China for 80% of our meds, along with TP, etc. etc. is insanity.  If we go back to making our own stuff it will be a win overall.

I'm a late joiner here, but my new found interest in Viking lead me to this thread.

Jim's comment made me relive a tragic & heart-rendering moment from my childhood. At the age of 11, I went to (then West) Germany to visit my Mom's relatives with my Dad. They lived in a small rural town.

At my Grandparents house, Dad took me out to the backyard, showed me the outhouse & the cut-up newspaper TP. I don't remember my exact words, but had I been an adult it would have been..."ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FRIGG'N MIND !!@!*#$??" ....The Horror....

5 minutes ago, InDaPast said:

I'm a late joiner here, but my new found interest in Viking lead me to this thread.

Jim's comment made me relive a tragic & heart-rendering moment from my childhood. At the age of 11, I went to (then West) Germany to visit my Mom's relatives with my Dad. They lived in a small rural town.

At my Grandparents house, Dad took me out to the backyard, showed me the outhouse & the cut-up newspaper TP. I don't remember my exact words, but had I been an adult it would have been..."ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FRIGG'N MIND !!@!*#$??" ....The Horror....

Haha, lots of people remembering things.  My English Mother told me her Father, during WWII, used to cut up the newspaper into squares.  Mom says if you ball it up and straighten it back out a few times it was not too bad....

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Well, I remember when I was a kid you actually had to go to a store to buy TP rather than ordering from your Ipad 🤪

And the store was 5 miles.... Both ways up hill.😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Mom says if you ball it up and straighten it back out a few times it was not too bad....

Dad never told me that.

I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure I held it (#1 & #2) in as loonngg as possible.

...haven't been the same since.....

• Like 1