Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion

Jim Avery

5 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

Glad you got to Shetland, see my post about North Atlantic Itinerary changes for our  ‘In the Wake of the Vikings’ starting today.  

Just met a Viking Newbie who had come from Australia to trace his Shetland roots and now it’s cancelled.  He’s not very happy. 

Oh, no!  We did this itinerary last September and the Shetlands was a real highlight.  We have friends on this sailing, and I know they're going to be disappointed to miss it.  Where is your post on the changes?

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Keep the pictures coming!!  Most interesting. One thing I've always wondered, however, is how you folks that do these cruises manage things at home while being gone for months at at time? Full-time house / plant / pet sitters, etc.?  Or downsized to the point where there is not all that much to take care of? Or basically (and I've actually heard of this) not having much real estate at all anymore and basically "living" on cruise ships?  I've considered a cruise of this nature but the logistics of it (with a substantial property, etc. to take care of) just seems like it'd be a bit overwhelming!  

There are a lot of details to handle for sure. Pre pay as much as possible and put things on auto pay. A trusted neighbor or family member is also a good thing. Since all bills are covered, mail just gets collected for sorting out when back home. As far as pets, we could not go when we had one.

Jim, finally realized you were probably doing a thread here!  Will enjoy following you and love the pics being posted.  We did a lot of your early ports on our Silversea UK cruise last year so nice to revisit!

you should think about the SD2 TA next fall from Malaga to San Juan.

Hi to Lois!

vandrefalk

6 hours ago, vandrefalk said:

Jim, finally realized you were probably doing a thread here!  Will enjoy following you and love the pics being posted.  We did a lot of your early ports on our Silversea UK cruise last year so nice to revisit!

you should think about the SD2 TA next fall from Malaga to San Juan.

Hi to Lois!

vandrefalk

Hi Karen,

We have loved the ports so far but are starting to feel the need, the need for heat.  It was 110F when we left PHX so we loved the cool, cloudy weather but being Desert Rats we can only wear so many clothes for so long.  But then, in the Amazon I am sure we will be longing for the crisp day in the Shetlands.  Never satisfied, right?  Would love to sail the TA with you and the Colonel and the rest of the gang but are booked on Viking Ra in Egypt next fall.  We loved our time in Egypt so much on the first WC that we booked just Egypt this time.  The subject of SeaDream has come up with some of our fellow passengers as we are passing through the caribbean (with about 8 stops) in October and I naturally said no one does the Caribbean better than SeaDream.  For longer trips or trips to cooler climates y'all might really enjoy Viking.  Lots of Regent and Silversea past passengers gravitating to Viking.  

All the best to you and Colonel,

Jim & Lois🍸

• Like 1

2 hours ago, helenandfrank said:

Found this photo in another website .. repeat World Cruisers presently on Viking Sun.

Anyone recognise anyone ? Anyone prepared to ID themselves 😁

Yep, that’s me.  The handsome guy sitting beside my lovely wife. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2oldishcoots said:

If you have time & love to walk, the hike down from the top of the funicular through the woods is spectacular. We did it this summer. Your pictures have all been lovely. Thanks for posting them. 

Agree!  The narrative and the pictures have been terrific.  If you do walk down from the top of the funicular, watch the signs closely.  We also did this last September, and managed to turn a short walk into a very long one!

17 hours ago, aungrl said:

Oh, no!  We did this itinerary last September and the Shetlands was a real highlight.  We have friends on this sailing, and I know they're going to be disappointed to miss it.  Where is your post on the changes?

We did this sailing end of August into Sept too. We had excellent weather and really enjoyed the itinerary.  Loved the ponies and seeing the pics with the same man handling them was interesting.

I do recognize a couple of faces...especially the guy front and center........what a gentleman!!!! and problem solver.  i am surprised Suget (not sure how to spell his name) is still aboard!!!

The Amazon was plenty warm last fall...had a fun cruise....you will be amazed by all the different insects that come aboard!!!

44 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Hi Dee. Sujith. He goes home October 9 from NYC. And you are right, he is great. Runs a tight ship.

So sorry we will miss Sujith when we board in Santiago.  If you have a chance Jim, please say hi to him from the lady with the fancy cast on her broken arm onboard the last leg of the last WC in April-May.  

• Like 1

Thanks for reminding me how to spell his name.  Hope he has a wonderful time off....do you know if he will be back on any Viking Ships again?  We will board the SUN again next summer for the "Midnight Sun"

On 9/12/2019 at 9:45 AM, TayanaLorna said:

I've noticed that they have spa events a couple of times on a cruise.  Usually at 8 pm, costs $39 and you have to sign up for it.  They teach you the benefits of and proper way to perform the Nordic Bathing Ritual.  I heard that they give you product samples and you have a choice of foot or scalp massage at the end.  I hope selling the products and giving use directions doesn't replace that event.

When we were on the Sun earlier this summer, the nordic rituals package was displayed for sale (products, scrub brush in cute  little wooden pail), but they still offered the events several times during our cruise.  They also offered several other "spa" specials that would be listed in the daily. 

It’s early morning in Bergen ... can someone please update us on the itinerary change, and confirm that the Sun will be spending an extra night in Bergen - thus leaving on Monday instead of Sunday? (And miss Lerwick?)

This change would affect those of us boarding in Bergen. Thanks.

We will still board as expected - you mean it will effect when we leave and where we go?  I would like to know where people are getting this information - what is “the main Viking site” - there are so many places on Cruise Critic and FB but I know of no official place for us to get information.  If anyone does, please post it.  We can’t get into the Viking app until we board...

See post #5 in this thread:

Jim Avery, who is on board the World Cruise, posted yesterday, I think, that Viking had advised passengers on board that the the 14 Sep sailing (which is a segment of the world cruise) would stay a day longer in Bergen and skip the Shetlands.

On 9/11/2019 at 3:07 PM, Workinless said:

Wonderful cruise pictures.

Could one of you from time to time post a copy of the daily pamphlet  (especially sea days) so we can get an idea of what activities are offered and the ship's hours?

Thanks and enjoy the trip.

If these pics are ok here is a sea day "daily" - 4 pages.

20190914_051430.jpg

20190914_051449.jpg

20190914_051455.jpg

20190914_051503.jpg

6 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

That's right.  There should be no change for those boarding in Bergen, barring any issues with their flights.  All the departing passengers are gone and there are around 300 of us rattling about the ship.  😎

Jim, how many passengers are staying on for the whole 245 day World cruise?

9 minutes ago, Gigiandbaba said:

Jim, how many passengers are staying on for the whole 245 day World cruise?

Hard to pin down an exact number but 60 something has been mentioned a few times.  About 160 of us going as far as LA.  Lots of new faces onboard today.  It was the first time we have been onboard on "go home" day and not had to go home.  Kind of nice.  On the Inaugural WC we were all onboard for the full cruise, a real rarity.  This WC is more like any other I have heard of or been onboard for a segment.  

Went back out in Bergen today and it was much quieter than yesterday with Mein Schiff 3  and a HAL ship in port with us.  Today lots of oil field supply ships and private yachts filling the  port trying to avoid the heavy weather offshore.  Cold and rainy with high winds forecast to start around 5pm,  We went up the funicular tram to the mountain top and the view was spectacular.  I can only imagine how it would be on a sunny day.  Our guide yesterday say they have about 5 sunny days per year.  That's about how many rainy days we have in Phoenix... I am really glad the Captain is exercising caution as banging about in the North Atlantic can be very very  uncomfortable.  Missing a stop or two is much more advisable.  Still, Bergen is a rather nice place to ride out a storm..🍸